Eric Duncan

Thunderbolts* | May 2, 2025 | MCU

14 minutes ago, PlatnumRoyce said:

As someone who has no investment in either work, is or isn't this a stealth Black Widow 2? What's the evidence either way?

It shares three main characters with that film (Yelena, Red Guardian, and Taskmaster) and originally the writer of Black Widow was working on this project. 

However, that guy was replaced with the man who created the Netflix show Beef. The co-lead with Yelena is Bucky who was not in that film and the word from leakers, if you trust those folks, is that the more recent drafts have made this more of its own thing. 

So that’s pretty much the cliff notes for and against evidence. 

• Like 1

since they've already set up a bunch of thunderbolts-related plot threads I doubt they can just snap it (hehe get it) out of existence, most straightforward thing would seem to me to turn into a disney+ special event (maybe charge for it, maybe not) and try to wrap up as many disney+  and d-tier storylines as possible 

8 hours ago, PlatnumRoyce said:

As someone who has no investment in either work, is or isn't this a stealth Black Widow 2? What's the evidence either way?

The movie has more Black Widow characters than actual members of the Thunderbolts in the comics (Yelena, Red Guardian and Contessa Valentina were never members), it's set to be a super soldier/spy focused team that was never been the mote of the T-Bolts and it seems the story doesn't adapt any of the stories of the team and it instead will deal with the Eternals plot thread of the Celestial dead in the ocean.

7 minutes ago, SpiderByte said:

So this is an objectively strange source to hear this from, but they are reliable and have been correct about Marvel stuff as well:

Someone at Marvel must really, really, really like Beef.

This is probably a good sign.

Cool fan image of the team by the way, but is Ghost supposed to be in this movie? I had no idea, I thought her character was pretty cool and have always been a bit let down that she hasn't shown up in the MCU again.

• Like 1

Or The Bear. I get that Beef is more in line with what Marvel does but The Bear is a thing with staying power. 

Either way, this could surprisingly work, not a huge hit but not a disaster either. Bucky, Walker, Zemo (supposedly in the movie), Yelena and Red Guardian are solid. Taskmaster and Ghost are liabilities cause they brought nothing to their respective movies so push them in the background. Valentina was uber grating in BPWF so kill her off. 

5 minutes ago, Arlborn said:

Cool fan image of the team by the way, but is Ghost supposed to be in this movie? I had no idea, I thought her character was pretty cool and have always been a bit let down that she hasn't shown up in the MCU again.

This is actually official art by Andy Park from the last D23. All these are officially cast in the movie.

• Like 1

Funny, I have every thunderbolt comic up to issue 91 in a box in the basement, yet I have zero interest in seeing the movie.

Rather, I dread what they'll do to my favorite comic run.  For example, when fixer (white in comics) disguises himself as mach-one, his appearance is a black man.  Nowadays that's called blackface, right?  There's no way they'll keep that (it's a villain disguising himself, it shouldn't matter!).  I don't even want to think about everything they'll change.

15 hours ago, SpiderByte said:

So this is an objectively strange source to hear this from, but they are reliable and have been correct about Marvel stuff as well:

Someone at Marvel must really, really, really like Beef.

My guess is Yelena is no longer the lead of Thunderbolts & Bucky is the new lead as Feige said Bucky is the defacto leader of Thunderbolts & so reworking the script.

4 minutes ago, Willowra said:

My guess is Yelena is no longer the lead of Thunderbolts & Bucky is the new lead as Feige said Bucky is the defacto leader of Thunderbolts & so reworking the script.

Leader of the team does not equal lead of the movie. Flag is the leader of the Suicide Squad but he absolutely is not the main character.

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, SpiderByte said:

Leader of the team does not equal lead of the movie. Flag is the leader of the Suicide Squad but he absolutely is not the main character.

F4 is going to be female lead movie & Marvel has never released 2 back to back female lead movies, also Bucky is both the lead & leader in new Thunderbolts comics. So this is just my guess that they are changing the script & Bucky will be the new lead.

• ...wtf 1

5 minutes ago, Willowra said:

F4 is going to be female lead movie & Marvel has never released 2 back to back female lead movies, also Bucky is both the lead & leader in new Thunderbolts comics. So this is just my guess that they are changing the script & Bucky will be the new lead.

And if my guess is wrong then 2025 will be the first time that there won't be any white male lead MCU movie, from Disney side.

Edited by Willowra

5 minutes ago, Willowra said:

They did not rewrite the movie based on the current comic run.

4 hours ago, cedec0 said:

Funny, I have every thunderbolt comic up to issue 91 in a box in the basement, yet I have zero interest in seeing the movie.

Rather, I dread what they'll do to my favorite comic run.  For example, when fixer (white in comics) disguises himself as mach-one, his appearance is a black man.  Nowadays that's called blackface, right?  There's no way they'll keep that (it's a villain disguising himself, it shouldn't matter!).  I don't even want to think about everything they'll change.

That's pretty much the sentiment for everyone that ever touched a Thunderbolts comic. It's pretty much what they did with Deadpool in X-Men Origins but the entire movie.

Also if Captain America 4 is that bad that they will need to reshoot the entire movie and this one is connected with it, they should just can the project, it will be a bigger bomb than Marvels.

On 11/10/2023 at 3:13 AM, Masketta Man said:

That's pretty much the sentiment for everyone that ever touched a Thunderbolts comic. It's pretty much what they did with Deadpool in X-Men Origins but the entire movie.

A very premature declaration about a movie that has not shot a single frame of footage and does not release for two fucking years to say it's the same as Origins.

Edited by SpiderByte
  • Like 1