IndustriousAngel

BO Germany/Austria: Dune first 2024 blockbuster (3mil admissions)

other CBMs openings in Germany

Venom $3.78M 
AMATW $2.48M

IW $15M
Deadpool 2 $8.3M

Black Panther $5.8M

Justice League $2.7M

Thor Ragnarok $5.3M
Wonder Woman $2.8M

Spider-Man Homecoming $3.7M
Guardians 2 $9.3M

Aquaman Aprox $4.8M-$5M with 400k admissions 

Edited by RealLyre
  • Like 8
  • Astonished 1

Mary Poppins will probably end somewhere around 1mil total, a "meh" number at best for a big Disney release ... Bumblebee will miss the million by a lot (the 150k are already including previews), what a decline for this franchise but as Taruseth mentioned, that's better than expected (frankly, I don't know where those 150k come frome, definitely an outright flop at my theater).

1 hour ago, IndustriousAngel said:

Mary Poppins will probably end somewhere around 1mil total, a "meh" number at best for a big Disney release ... Bumblebee will miss the million by a lot (the 150k are already including previews), what a decline for this franchise but as Taruseth mentioned, that's better than expected (frankly, I don't know where those 150k come frome, definitely an outright flop at my theater).

I think 1mil for Mary Poppins is pretty awful...

If there are any country outside Uk (and USA and maybe australia) were I expected it to do good business those countries are Japan and Germany.

43 minutes ago, xxoo said:

The Grinch Is doing too good in Germany 

It's the only animation out, apart from ITSV.

And ITSV had a very comic like animation style and is a superhero and both aren't that popular here and kind of totally flopped like opening below ME. (In $ it opened with HALF! of ME)

Edited by Taruseth

As IndustriousAngel said some weeks ago, animation in Germany is confined in "stuff for kids", meaning it tends (as a general rule) to be more successful when it strictly appeals to children (read: when the product is dumb and unrefined).

16 hours ago, Brainbug said:

Sadly i have to agree. I dont know how Ice Age 4 in particular was so successfull here. And the Despicable/Minions films...:sadno:

Yeah.  
Those are real kid films and they do so much better than really good animation films. 
I think Disney's animation (WDAS and Pixar) are often to mature for kids. (Don't know how to explain it)

And I might be wrong, but I'd say, that those films have stronger evening showings. Like for movies like Inside out the evening shows (later than 8 were pretty full, while for minions they were rather empty, but Minions had really full afternoon shows, which aren't that full for Disney)

1 hour ago, George Parr said:

3rd trend is up, Aquaman is down quite a bit, everything else sees limited changes:

#1 Aquaman 370k

#2 The Grinch 310k

#3 Mary Poppins 210k

#4 Bumblebee 155k

#5 100 Dinge 150k

#6 FB2 135k

#7 Bohemian Rapsody 70k

#8 Mortal Engines 65k

#9 Tabaluga 52.5k

#10 Spider-Man 45k

It's sad to see Mortal Engines flop like that.

I'd much rather have another one of those films then the tenth superhero movie.

On 12/22/2018 at 1:49 PM, Taruseth said:

I think 1mil for Mary Poppins is pretty awful...

If there are any country outside Uk (and USA and maybe australia) were I expected it to do good business those countries are Japan and Germany.

beside the first part being then successful here, personally I do not know anyone who had seen it then in the cinemas. Maybe they died out? Maybe another mix of age groups watched it here than e.g. in the US? Less children of an age that actually liked it then?

Maybe less reruns on TV? I do not know anyone who ever watched it there neither, but I didn't ask all potentials

= I was surprised a lot about the high expectations here

• Like 2

4 hours ago, terrestrial said:

beside the first part being then successful here, personally I do not know anyone who had seen it then in the cinemas. Maybe they died out? Maybe another mix of age groups watched it here than e.g. in the US? Less children of an age that actually liked it then?

Maybe less reruns on TV? I do not know anyone who ever watched it there neither, but I didn't ask all potentials

= I was surprised a lot about the high expectations here

Yeah, I probably had to high expectations, because I love MP, but I think most of my friends aren't big fans or don't even know it.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, George Parr said:

3rd trend is up, Aquaman is down quite a bit, everything else sees limited changes:

#1 Aquaman 370k

#2 The Grinch 310k

#3 Mary Poppins 210k

#4 Bumblebee 155k

#5 100 Dinge 150k

#6 FB2 135k

#7 Bohemian Rapsody 70k

#8 Mortal Engines 65k

#9 Tabaluga 52.5k

#10 Spider-Man 45k

Without Star WARS brand in this year-end holiday season, I would assume market space will be freed up and give holdover sweet-sweet increase next week

• Like 2

17 minutes ago, Taruseth said:

Yeah, I probably had to high expectations, because I love MP, but I think most of my friends aren't big fans or don't even know it.

Ahh, so you will be able to answer this I guess:

did they translate the songs in part 1 for our TV,....?

Edited by terrestrial

1 hour ago, titanic2187 said:

Without Star WARS brand in this year-end holiday season, I would assume market space will be freed up and give holdover sweet-sweet increase next week

I think that would also be the case even with a Star Wars movie around. Movies held excellently against all three Star Wars christmas releases AND other new releases at the same time.

50 minutes ago, terrestrial said:

Ahh, so you will be able to answer this I guess:

did they translate the songs in part 1 for our TV,....?

Yes, all songs got a German version. I think that was standard for all Disney movies back then. They wouldn't really let a movie have so much english in it.

In this particular movie, the German voice was split into one for dialogue (Uta Hallant) and one for the singing (Monika Dahlberg). And you can definately hear the difference between the two ;)

• Like 2