IndustriousAngel

BO Germany/Austria: Inside Out 2 #1 with best 2024 OW

Mark_G says FB could even reach 1M (with Wednesday) if it's not too frontloaded.

The Thursday actuals are pretty much in line with the estimates this week or even a little bit better (Hartmanns 45k, Reacher 2 13k, Dr. Strange 13k)
but FB was underestimated and had 95k admissions yesterday, not 75k.

By the way the FB evening show reservations at „my“ theaters look really good and the afternoon show reservations improved but still are not overwhelming. It's the same „problem“ as already reported by IndustriousAngel. But maybe that changes Saturday and Sunday and then 1M is indeed possible :).

• Like 6

41 minutes ago, Fullbuster said:

Not really. If you think on a global scale that makes Germany an outlier, so it's fine to be surprised and ask why.

I mean, they have others cultures. Germany is a market with many fluctuations on adm with some drops.

Total admissions by year:

GERMAN.png 

Edited by alisson23
  • Like 2

36 minutes ago, alisson23 said:

I mean, they have others cultures. Germany is a market with many fluctuations on adm with some drops.

Total admissions by year:

If I remember it right, the admissions already fell before the chart starts

2009 = Avatar and 3D helped to re-awake the interest to go to the cinema again.

In my RL surrounding people tend to have latest at that time (Avatar) nice home theatre systems, but 3D, big event films and local films,..  still get some people out of the house. Might be an age thing, or...

• Like 1

7 hours ago, terrestrial said:

If I remember it right, the admissions already fell before the chart starts

2009 = Avatar and 3D helped to re-awake the interest to go to the cinema again.

In my RL surrounding people tend to have latest at that time (Avatar) nice home theatre systems, but 3D, big event films and local films,..  still get some people out of the house. Might be an age thing, or...

2001 was actually the peak year of modern German cinema. You'd have to go back to the late 60s to find as many admissions in a single year. Though that leaves out admissions from the GDR, I think. Still, in unified Germany 2001 was by far the biggest year, 16 million admissions ahead of the next best.

From insidekino:

Late 80s / early 90s: around 100-110 million admissions per year

mid 90s: ~125-130 million

late 90s: ~140-150 million

2000-2004: ~150-160 million, with one year at 177

since then: ~125-135 million, with 2009 and 2015 as outliers, coming in at 146 and 139

There seems to be a distinctive peak between 1997 and 2004, and right before and afterwards you get a range of 125-135 million admissions per year. Maybe that's the "normal" level for the time being. With some upticks on special occasions (Avatar for example).

Kind of amazing that three out of the four biggest movies of the modern era came out over a period of 5 months. That year truly was the perfect storm. It really helps when the blockbusters follow the preferential movie-going habbit in Germany.

On 17/11/2016 at 9:27 PM, el sid said:

The Thursday estimates via insidekino.de (forum):

New Releases:

Fantastic Beasts and Where to Find Them: 75k (starts in 767 theaters, good to very good reviews, promising WOM)
Radio Heimat: 0.5k (125, mediocre reviews)
Dirty Cops: ?k (90, ok reviews)
Egon Schiele: ?k (88, good reviews)
Paterson: ?k (87, very good reviews)

Holdovers:

Willkommen bei den Hartmanns: 40k (45k) – would be a great hold given the competition if this number holds
Jack Reacher 2: 10.5k (25k) – maybe again underestimated
Doctor Strange: 10.5k (25k) - the same
Bridget Jones's Baby: 10.5k (12k)
Girl on the Train: 5k (7.5k)
Inferno: 4.5k (8k)

So pretty good holds and not a bad start of FB, but I'm not sure which multiplier it will have over the weekend. Maybe IndustriousAngel or somebody else has more routine in these things and can help.

Friday:

Fantastic Beasts:151,208(no frontloaded)

Wilkomen bein den Hartmanns:124,306

Doctor Strange:25,985

Jack Reacher:25,836

Bridget Jones:22,693

• Like 3

9 hours ago, George Parr said:

2001 was actually the peak year of modern German cinema. You'd have to go back to the late 60s to find as many admissions in a single year. T

Might be a POV thingie :)

I started to go to the cinemas in Germany in the '60 ;)

Me personally am not into animated films..., but the family was (including my younger brother) = 13 December 1968 was the release of Jungle Book (US in 1967), I actually saw it still in 1968 in a cinema.

I lived also in a lot in country-side regions, we moved a lot for some reasons and ~ everywhere I went.... so many cinemas had to close down ('70 and '80), it was and is so sad.

I just saw that Finding Dory has an extremely bad hold again! 30k (-58%) :(

So maybe 3,68M admissions until Sunday. 4M are dead, maybe even 3,8M. That sucks...

So there are probably only 3 movies now we can hope to get to 4M: FB (with 1M this weekend and good WOM - but probably there has to be much hope for this to happen :mellow:), Rogue One (for the moment I'm sure that this one will have more than 4M, I would say it'll get at least 5M) and WbdH (All is possible yet :))

But what makes me really angry is the Euro - it's under 1,06$ now. :angry:

• Like 2

Dory is definitely a disappointment, Golden Screen or not ... Wbdh I can see past 4mil and maybe more - as I said, as long as it doesn't start do drop, it's hard to gauge. With WOM that good, some comedies were able to reach 6mil in the past years, so that seems like a sensible upper limit (of course, Intouchables went a lot higher, but that one expanded to bigger weekends than WbdH has).

3 hours ago, James said:

Gosh, I really hope it comes closer to 1m. Any indication of how the WOM is?

So far moviegoers seem to like it judging from several film forums:
It has a rating of 3.9/5 at filmstarts.de which is worse than the top rated Harry Potter films but better than the not soo popular ones.
At moviepilot.de it gets 7.9/10 which is better than the score of all Potter films but of course as we know the biggest fans are the first who rate a movie and than it goes down a little bit.
And on other movie websites the user reviews are also mainly between 6 and 9/10.
So overall not bad at all.

The weather where I live is so perfect terrible today, it can only help ;).

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, el sid said:

The weather where I live is so perfect terrible today, it can only help ;).

Here it is/was so bad our dog literally don't want to leave the house (too much rain)

Not always good for cinemas, if its too wet to want to leave the house

Much better drop for Dory (37%)

Good for FB, but I really hoped for a 1M start, I dunno if the WOM is good enough for a 3M total, but it's certainly possible.

Hartmann's with a 17% decrease, so I guess a it's going to finish closer to 4M adm, 6M adm seem out of reach at this point.

• Like 2