EmpireCity

WEEKEND THREAD: Lightyear implodes with 51M DOM, 85.6M WW. THE LAST PIXAR MOVIE EVER?????😱😱😱 | Dominion #1 with 58.66M, Top Gun 44M

6 minutes ago, Brainbug the Dinosaur said:

At this point, i think its fair to say that while WOM may not be great for Dominion, its also not bad at all. We woudnt see these steady increases if the GA would think its a real stinker. Makes me a bit more opimistic regarding later legs.

Changes nothing at all for me. Just makes me think the drop next weekend will likely even exceed JWFK's drop when it had to deal with Ant Man 2 opening to 75M+ in its third weekend. Makes me expect some pretty weak weekdays after the Monday holiday too. It's a juiced up holiday weekend. That's what make the failure of LY even more jarring. JWD should've been able to do 65M+ this weekend with mixed WOM especially given how inflated today's numbers will be with Father's Day and a holiday tomorrow.

3 minutes ago, JohnnyGossamer said:

I mean, we're literally seeing Universal doing the same right now with Jurassic World.

One thing i can say for sure is that Colin Trevorrow must have done thousands of things wrong with JWD but he didn't ruin any of the 3 Characters.

All of them were treated well, with respect and character interactions between them and between them and new cast too were great watch.

There's no disrespect here..... Compared to what happened to Luke Sky walker in SW, Buzz in Toy Story 4, and whatever was Multiverse Madness. 

• ...wtf 1

1 minute ago, JohnnyGossamer said:

Changes nothing at all for me. Just makes me think the drop next weekend will likely even exceed JWFK's drop when it had to deal with Ant Man 2 opening to 75M+ in its third weekend. Makes me expect some pretty weak weekdays after the Monday holiday too. It's a juiced up holiday weekend. That's what make the failure of LY even more jarring. JWD should've been able to do 65M+ this weekend with mixed WOM especially given how inflated today's numbers will be with Father's Day and a holiday tomorrow.

Next weekends drop will be hard for sure, but i just meant the continuing increases from early estimates for it. And not by 100k, but by 1 or 2 million. Thats always a good sign. Ofc, would WOM be great, then we would see bigger numbers and even better increases. Im not saying at all that it has a chance to be on par with FK, that ship has sunk long ago, but The Batmans 370M appear a bit more likely for me now.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Brainbug the Dinosaur said:

I personally disagree with the part regarding JWD. For all its flaws, Dominion honors the old characters really well. Actually, from what i see in general online, the handling of Alan, Ellie and Ian generally gets positive remarks even from people who otherwise dislike the film.

I just more so meant milking it dry. None of those characters have any real use in the movie aside from I guess Goldblum. They're there simply to bring people back and Neill and Dern just bumble around like idiots which is some nice humor but that's all they really are... Comic relief... Especially Neill. It's fine but it's obvious why they're there. They're all completely unnecessary to the Jurassic World series. They have little to no utility in the film. Just as one could argue getting a premise of a Lightyear movie that inspired the toy is completely unnecessary. 

11 minutes ago, IronJimbo said:

Box Office Theory Forum by the way, where do you think we are?

Avatar 2 is sequel to highest grossing movie of All Time..... That's its biggest hook, plus James Cameron and whatever NTW technology he's going to invent. 

But Blue Alien things can certainly not be called iconic characters, Avatar worked because of its story, direction, visuals and Masterful use of 3D. Characters aren't iconic here.

• Disbelief 1

1 minute ago, Brainbug the Dinosaur said:

Next weekends drop will be hard for sure, but i just meant the continuing increases from early estimates for it. And not by 100k, but by 1 or 2 million. Thats always a good sign. Ofc, would WOM be great, then we would see bigger numbers and even better increases. Im not saying at all that it has a chance to be on par with FK, that ship has sunk long ago, but The Batmans 370M appear a bit more likely for me now.

Actually Mexico and Italy 2nd weekend hold was already a sign that the movie won’t go total collapse like MoM.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, JohnnyGossamer said:

I just more so meant milking it dry. None of those characters have any real use in the movie aside from I guess Goldblum. They're there simply to bring people back and Neill and Dern just bumble around like idiots which is some nice humor but that's all they really are... Comic relief... Especially Neill. It's fine but it's obvious why they're there. They're all completely unnecessary to the Jurassic World series. They have little to no utility in the film. Just as one could argue getting a premise of a Lightyear movie that inspired the toy is completely unnecessary. 

Nah, i disagree. Without going into spoilers, Ellie is actually the character that kickstarts the main plotline and it makes sense from a character point-of-view that Alan is there as well. Ian has a central role as well. I dont think we'll agree here since i think Dominions handeling of its characters is actually the strongest aspect of it.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Brainbug the Dinosaur said:

Those two are connected: the walk-up audience, who are the ones who are helping to push daily numbers above early estimates, are far less concerned with reviews.  I think most of the WOM damage was baked into the softer opening weekend

JWD's best quality that people respond to is that it has dinosaurs and, by and large, they look great. And, there are all kinds of dinosaurs. Which, in a medium in which there's literally no other franchise ever that has this hook, is a HUGE hook. Should actually have even more dinosaurs and fewer character interactions... WOM would be better then.

6 minutes ago, THUNDER BIRD said:

Fallen Kingdom didn't had a movie doing historical run and a new big movie in its second weekend.

It had Incredibles 2 which was doing great, but Top Gun is basically a phenomenon.

JWFK had to deal with Incredibles 2 it's first two weekends... I2 grossed 80M and 46.5M those weekends. Then, Ant Man 2 it's third weekend... AM2 grossed 76M that weekend while I2 grossed 28.5M that same weekend.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, JohnnyGossamer said:

JWFK had to deal with Incredibles 2 it's first two weekends... I2 grossed 80M and 46.5M those weekends. Then, Ant Man 2 it's third weekend... AM2 grossed 76M that weekend while I2 grossed 28.5M that same weekend.

Incredibles 2 place is taken by Top Gun which is going to 40+ this weekend.

But Fallen Kingdom didn't had a Lightyear in its 2nd weekend like JWD.

22 minutes ago, JohnnyGossamer said:

Avatar is now Disney so once the sequel's out, brace for those "iconic characters" to be dragged too I guess if you feel that that's inevitable. The next installments in the series after the second one will come fast and furious and, likely due to be rushed, diminish in quality and drag certain characters to try to retain high level box office.

Well, yes, because Jim decided to film them back to back (up to chapter 3 and parts of subsequent chapters), even before Disney had much to do with the franchise.

• Like 2

@EmpireCity is ofc better informed about industry rumours, but i really do hope that studios wont see Lightyears soft opening as proof of lacking demand for animated movies in theaters. I know theres tons of good arguments to be had that a big part of the audience is lost to streaming, but as with all movies that break out, an animated one imo can still do it as well as any Live-Action film. The movies just need to be fresh and creative.

Pixar has done a lot of such movies for nearly three decades now. Walt Disney Animation/DreamWorks/Sony Animation they all can as well. They just need to try a little harder than making a Toy Story spin-off about the astronaut who inspired the toy. Whenever Shrek 5 is announced for example, i doubt that many people would want to wait for streaming for that.

38 minutes ago, Legion and Thunder said:

That’s about 25% drops on avg. Realistically I think it will hold worse than that next week (because this one is inflated), better the week after (because of the 4th) and worse 3 from now (because of Thor&coming down from the 4th). 

Ok, thanks for answer.
I see it difficult to get 600, so 660 is really hard IMO, but for sure, i´d be happy to see these amazing holds in the next week, for me there is nothing more exciting in BO tracking than these kind of long leggy runs.

10 minutes ago, THUNDER BIRD said:

Incredibles 2 place is taken by Top Gun which is going to 40+ this weekend.

But Fallen Kingdom didn't had a Lightyear in its 2nd weekend like JWD.

The weekend you're referring to... Sicario 2 and Uncle Drew combined for 35M. Ocean's 8 grossed just under 10M. Tag, Deadpool 2 and Solo combined for just over 10M as well that same weekend. Lightyear is a severe underperformer... That what's helping JWD get close to 60M+ during this inflated Father's Day/Juneteenth holiday weekend. 60M+ being a number JWFK achieved in it's second weekend which was not a holiday weekend and which, overall, more competition that JWD is facing this weekend.

2 minutes ago, Brainbug the Dinosaur said:

@EmpireCity is ofc better informed about industry rumours, but i really do hope that studios wont see Lightyears soft opening as proof of lacking demand for animated movies in theaters. I know theres tons of good arguments to be had that a big part of the audience is lost to streaming, but as with all movies that break out, an animated one imo can still do it as well as any Live-Action film. The movies just need to be fresh and creative.

Pixar has done a lot of such movies for nearly three decades now. Walt Disney Animation/DreamWorks/Sony Animation they all can as well. They just need to try a little harder than making a Toy Story spin-off about the astronaut who inspired the toy. Whenever Shrek 5 is announced for example, i doubt that many people would want to wait for streaming for that.

This right here. Agree 100%.

Lightyear was a explosive cocktail of bad decisions. The visuals aren't bright and livid like kids like, a spinoff about the movie that inspired the toy isn't that big of a hook, no nostalgia play without Tim Allen, the backlash against the gay kiss, the change of habits with Pixar movies being D+ exclusives day one for free. It all adds up to disaster.

• Like 5