Purple Minion

Mexico Box Office | Planet of the Apes is king with $6.4M OW; good holds for Garfield and Challengers

Summary of mid-year numbers

• Market keeps growing due to expansion of theatres: 6,011 movie screens (50 per inhabitant), 3rd highest per capita in the world after US and Canada.
  • 167M tickets sold, 18M more than the first six months of 2015.
  • Gross: 7.63B lc, 441M more than half-year 2015.  At an average ER of 18.068, that's $422.3M ($24.4M).
  • 10 movies generated half of the gross. Top 3 are CW, BVS and TJB.

Full report soon, once Canacine publishes it.

• Like 5

6 minutes ago, Purple Minion said:

Summary of mid-year numbers

• Market keeps growing due to expansion of theatres: 6,011 movie screens (50 per inhabitant), 3rd highest per capita in the world after US and Canada.
  • 167M tickets sold, 18M more than the first six months of 2015.
  • Gross: 7.63B lc, 441M more than half-year 2015.  At an average ER of 18.068, that's $422.3M ($24.4M).
  • 10 movies generated half of the gross. Top 3 are CW, BVS and TJB.

Full report soon, once Canacine publishes it.

I love these numbers, thanks Purple :D

It's great to see that this promising market is still growing at a brisk pace :D

Weekend estimates (Boxoffice.com, Deadline):

• FD $9.4M OW, less than my estimates. 2nd biggest Disney/Pixar opening. Enough to join the Top 10 OS markets, however legs will be crucial to consider it a resounding success.
  • Tarzan $9.2M total. OK-ish $2.1M weekend.
  • IA5 $19.6M total. That's about a $1M weekend, quite low for a third week.
Edited by Purple Minion
  • Like 2

15 hours ago, keysersoze123 said:

which film holds the record for all time total? is there a 1B grosser in Mex.

8 hours ago, Purple Minion said:

Not yet. Only one movie has crossed 800M and that's The Avengers (827M):

Correct biggest is TA, biggest Admits Minions, Pre 2004 its Titanic

• Like 5

Actual weekend numbers! FD opened with 177.8M lc 3-day ($9.67M), second highest for Pixar/Disney behind TS3, fourth highest animated opening and #13 highest 3-day OW, between Maleficent and MU. Not a bad number at all, but was hoping for a 200+M lc OW. If it behaves like MU, it should end with 550-575M ($30-32M), we'll have a clearer idea with Friday midweek numbers.

Tarzan held decently, but Scrat got annihilated (71% drop); it won't reach IA4 in lc. Me Before You somehow got to the $11M mark, and The Shallow opened as good as it gets.

dory_zpst0y8knij.png

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Purple Minion said:

Actual weekend numbers! FD opened with 177.8M lc 3-day ($9.67M), second highest for Pixar/Disney behind TS3, fourth highest animated opening and #13 highest 3-day OW, between Maleficent and MU. Not a bad number at all, but was hoping for a 200+M lc OW. If it behaves like MU, it should end with 550-575M ($30-32M), we'll have a clearer idea with Friday midweek numbers.

Tarzan held decently, but Scrat got annihilated (71% drop); it won't reach IA4 in lc. Me Before You somehow got to the $11M mark, and The Shallow opened as good as it gets.

dory_zpst0y8knij.png

Ice Age 5 has definitely no room for several animated movies unlike Brazil.

I really expected Dory over TS3 :o

So The Shallows opened good in Mexico? Im trying to get a feeling for how its doing in international markets. I only know how blockbusters work and not the smaller scale films so I'm not sure whats a good opening or not for them. Im also baffled at how well Me Before You is doing internationally. It was a decent hit here in the states but I would have never predicted the run it has OS. 

Also its pretty clear Ice Age 5 is going to be a bust. Its a bust everywhere else. 

Edited by Nova

To put things in perspective, The Shallows OW was higher than Joy, Hateful Eight and Zoolander #2, about the same as The Danish Girl and Money Monster and smaller than The Boy and The Witch. It was never going to make big bucks in this market, but far from a total disaster.

FD is the 3rd biggest OW of 2016, behind CW and BVS, and it's already Top 15 of the year:

13 235,081,819 Revenant

14 203,254,887 Me Before You

15 177,828,377 Finding Dory

16 172,494,649 Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles 2: Out of the Shadows

17 171,997,278 The Legend of Tarzan

18 135,230,644 The Hunstman: Winter War

• Like 2

Weekly figures!

dory2_zpsntginz5a.png

Dory keeps swimming, already reached $15M in one week, at a faster pace than MU. It has grossed almost the same in lc as KFP3's full run and should pass Zootopia on Sat! This weekend will be key to its box office ambitions since it will get impacted next one by SLOP.

Tarzan and IA5 had decent holds; Scrat jumped over Conjuring 2 and it's now #4 of the year and #29 all-time, however a long way from IA3 and IA4:

09  618,218,437  Ice Age: Continental Drift (2012)
15  539,541,637  Ice Age: Dawn of the Dinosaurs (2009)

29  382,533,686  Ice Age: Collision Course (2016) - as of Thu

Only new big opening is NYSM2. I'd be very surprised if Dory loses the weekend crown.

Edited by Purple Minion
  • Like 8

Next week, along with SLOP.

Estimated weekend numbers (Deadline, Boxoffice.com):

• FD repeats at #1 with about $4M, for a $19.1M (350M lc) total. 58% drop, not holding as well as expected. Nonetheless, #6 of the year after just 10 days and breaks into the all time Top 40.
  • Tarzan $11.8M total, about $1.2M weekend.
  • IA5 deflates further with a $0.7M weekend for a $21.3M total.
  • The Shallows $467K, $2.2M cume.
Edited by Purple Minion
  • Like 2

20 minutes ago, Purple Minion said:

Estimated weekend numbers (Deadline):

• FD repeats at #1 with about $4M, for a $19.1M (350M lc) total. 58% drop, not holding as well as expected. Nonetheless, #6 of the year after just 10 days and breaks into the all time Top 40.
  • To be updated.

When it comes to legs it's far from Brazil :o Strange :(

1 hour ago, Purple Minion said:

Estimated weekend numbers (Deadline):

• To be updated.

well, I was hoping for toy story 3's legs.....wonder how TS3 could be such a phenomenal in Mexico back then