Purple Minion

Mexico Box Office | Garfield scratches great $8.4M 6-day OW; safe $2.5M start for The Fall Guy

Thats why no WW OW record.

Instead of the current method, these should be established by looking at the OW of all the different countries and adding them up regardless of their release date. Of course, the issue would be with a country like Japan where AOU doesn't come out until july thus delaying a potential OW record by two months, but in terms of accuracy and comparaisons between movies it would make more sense. 

Edited by Cynosure
  • Like 1

I find it amusing how everyone says that Avengers will kill the legs in every market.  That's not how films work.  Sure, when a giant blockbuster comes out, it hurts the film in the first week.  But then it recovers the week after.  

The thing is, in many overseas markets the turnover is much quicker in terms of theaters count numbers than in northern america. 

So indeed, in a lot of markets TA2 will kill whatever legs FF7 has for the simple reason that as soon as AOU is released a great deal of FF7 screens will be given to AOU prematurally in a significant numbers of theaters that don't have the luxury like in northern America to have enough screens to allocate sufficiently between US blockbusters, other US movies, their local ones and those of the neighbooring countries. 

That's what happened in my own theater in the heart of Brussels last year, at this time of the year when 100% of all CATWS screens were transferred directly to TASM2 within three weeks of release....the worst part is that CATWS didn't have one single poster, TV spot, ect, and was released under radar to the point that when most people became aware of its release, it was already pulled out.

It seems to me that in many theaters certain screens are reserved for the same type of blockbusters and as soon as one come on the heel on the previous one, the later got pulled out or see its number of screens drastically reduced.

I was out today to see if AOU marketing has finally kicked on and i saw a big poster.  There is however zero one with FF7 though it's still nuber one but i won't be surprised that its screens counts drop drastically as soon as AOU is released.

Edited by Ent
  • Like 1

The thing is, in many overseas markets the turnover is much quicker in terms of theaters count numbers than in northern america. 

So indeed, in a lot of markets TA2 will kill whatever legs FF7 has for the simple reason that as soon as AOU is released a great deal of FF7 screens will be given to AOU prematurally in a significant numbers of theaters that don't have the luxury like in northern America to have enough screens to allocate sufficiently between US blockbusters, other US movies, their local ones and those of the neighbooring countries. 

That's what happened in my own theater in the heart of Brussels last year, at this time of the year when 100% of all CATWS screens were transferred directly to TASM2 within three weeks of release....the worst part is that CATWS didn't have one single poster, TV spot, ect, and was released under radar to the point that when most people became aware of its release, it was already pulled out.

It seems to me that in many theaters certain screens are reserved for the same type of blockbusters and as soon as one come on the heel on the previous one, the later got pulled out or see its number of screens drastically reduced.

I was out today to see if AOU marketing has finally kicked on and i saw a big poster.  There is however zero one with FF7 though it's still nuber one but i won't be surprised that its screens counts drop drastically as soon as AOU is released.

Well said Ent, as usual :D

• Like 1

That works in some markets but lots of big leggy markets can support more than one market. This includes developed large markets and even latin american markets. You can see that during Furious 7 explosive opening weekend as well. Anyway its the markets that support more than one movie are the ones that are leggy anyway.

On Furious 7, Avengers is not opening in Latin American market next week except Brazil and Columbia. Also China and Japan have no overlap. So Furious 7 is going to make 1.05-1.1B OS which is higher than what we projected even without china monster run.

FF7 is already in the All-Time Top Ten!!! In local money is at number 3!!!

Mexico (All-Time)              
  Movie Total OW Admissions Mexican Pesos   Year
1 The Avengers $61.7m $17.4m 15.94 m 827.12 m 2012
2 Toy Story 3 $59.4m $15.1m 14.82 m 777.48 m 2010
3 Iron Man 3 $48.6m $17.1m 11.77 m 591.36 m 2013
4 Despicable Me 2 $47.7m $14.9m 13.40 m 612.21 m 2013
5 Ice Age 4 $46.8m $11.5m 13.18 m 618.22 m 2012
6 Maleficent $46.2m $14.0m 12.10 m 592.80 m 2014
7 Instructions Not Included (*) $46.1m $11.6m 15.19 m 600.23 m 2013
8 Avatar $44.2m $5.0m         2009
9 Fast & Furious 7 $41.3m $21.5m 12.37 m 628.91 m 2015
10 Ice Age 3 $39.4m $9.2m         2009
11 Monsters University $37.6m $12.4m 10.57 m 491.29 m 2013
  (*) Local Movie              

• Like 4

May,1st is labor day almost everywhere in LA. Also here in Spain. Maybe they want a better OW and a holiday Friday can guarantee that.

It's guaranteed strong OW so I'm not understanding this strategy. Opening it on April 23rd and it's guaranteed 2 strong weekends. 

It's guaranteed strong OW so I'm not understanding this strategy. Opening it on April 23rd and it's guaranteed 2 strong weekends. 

Because they want a record. A record => free advertising in Mexican media => more success.

It's all about marketing, they know what they're doing.

Thank you for your all-time top ten Henry, I'll put it on page 1 :)

I hope TA2 can break every record! If FF7 can pass $50m despite the decreased value of the peso then TA2 can do it as well. And I'm pretty sure it'll do in admissions and local currency :)

• Like 1