The Wild Eric

4th of July Weekend | Tiktok propels Minions 2 to 108.5 3-Day OW | TGM 25.5, Elvis 19, JWD 15.6, Black Phone 12.3 | Independence Day Weekend Sale!

4 minutes ago, charlie Jatinder said:

The problem with 4th July is that BO is dead in evening that day but during day time will be nice.

I'm not saying it'll outgross Minions 2 on 4th of July but probably drop the least from Sunday. 

Minions has already won my vote for most baffling overperformance of the pandemic era by a wide margin because the others made sense while this movie was following two previous movies in the franchise (the first Minions and DM3) that were hardly beloved (DM3 even saw a pretty notable decline that indicated audiences might've begun to get tired of the series). Universal should really give themselves a pat on the back for developing a consistently strong IP that has come this far while showing no signs of the diminished returns that properties like Shrek or Ice Age visibly displayed by their final movies or the franchise oversaturation that ended up being the death of poor Lego Movie.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, filmlover said:

Minions has already won my vote for most baffling overperformance of the pandemic era by a wide margin because the others made sense while this movie was following two previous movies in the franchise (the first Minions and DM3) that were hardly beloved (DM3 even saw a pretty notable decline that indicated audiences might've begun to get tired of the series). Universal should really give themselves a pat on the back for developing a consistently strong IP that has come this far while showing no signs of the diminished returns that properties like Shrek or Ice Age visibly displayed by their final movies or the franchise oversaturation that ended up being the death of poor Lego Movie.

The Shrek movies were always profitable. That last one made $750M+ not too much of a decrease from the third one. 

32 minutes ago, EmpireCity said:

Also, if you are listening Paramount..... once it hits $700m+, put it out on PVOD in October and then do a huge push for it coming to Paramount+ in December.  From there, get it an IMAX 3D special or similar along with a re-relase for award season in early 2023.  

"And the Academy Award for Best Bone Structure goes to....JENNIFER CONNELLY, TOP GUN: MAVERICK."

15 minutes ago, filmlover said:

Not really, DM3 is hardly a Minion story, Minion is the precedence, and the 7 years of gap helped. TGM is still THE overperformance of 2022.

24 minutes ago, filmlover said:

Not really. The trailers killed, marketing was everywhere and in your face and while it didn’t helped DM3 had no good hook and Minions was mixed, the pandemic hiatus helped people forgot and forgive about them and the idea of a young Gru/origin story could be fun for the GA. It also helped that Lightyear looked more and more like an underperformer since mid April.

I am not giving predictions for DM4 as it all depends on the hook for it. Maybe girls are adults and a new villain? Idk.

Edited by YourMother
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, GipJo said:

Even though Minion 2 overperformed, I still think DM is a dead IP after DM3, they should stay away from those boring human characters and make Minion as their priority.

Hell no. You need Gru as the lead, otherwise it is just 90 minutes of gags.

25 minutes ago, EmpireCity said:

Meh - that's too long.  

Think they want something to tie into Veterans Day. PVOD, DVD/Blu Ray or Paramount+.