Eric is Quiet

4th of July Weekend | Tiktok propels Minions 2 to 108.5 3-Day OW | TGM 25.5, Elvis 19, JWD 15.6, Black Phone 12.3 | Independence Day Weekend Sale!

Just now, Flamengo81 said:

All this overeaction with Disney (as a brand in general and not animation) will end when Avatar 2 just go completely nuts in December and then people will flip and starting saying again: "Disney is just too powerful", "Disney monopolizes the box office", "Disney needs to be stopped", etc... 🙄

I miss 20th century fox

• Like 1

Barbie have a shot in being way crazier than this, literally every single photo set that leaked trend for days globally. 

It´s this exact mix of joke and irony but also people are really curious in how the fuck the movie is going to be since the concept itself is ridiculous. 

Along that, we have Greta and Noah doing it, two of the most interesting filmmakers working today, so beyond the viral, it can actually be a really good movie with good WOM. 

The problem is just that everyone is already talking about it but the movie is more than a year from being released. I hope the leak sets stop now, so people won´t get tired before the actual marketing starts.

• Like 5

3 minutes ago, BestPicturePlutoNash said:

Because Greta Gerwig, Noah Baumbach, Margot Robbie, and Ryan Gosling aren't *checks notes* Jared Leto, Matt Smith, and Daniel Espinosa

I agree from an artistic point of view, but are half of these names much different box office wise?

1 minute ago, ThomasNicole said:

Barbie have a shot in being way crazier than this, literally every single photo set that leaked trend for days globally. 

It´s this exact mix of joke and irony but also people are really curious in how the fuck the movie is going to be since the concept itself is ridiculous. 

Along that, we have Greta and Noah doing it, two of the most interesting filmmakers working today, so beyond the viral, it can actually be a really good movie with good WOM. 

The problem is just that everyone is already talking about it but the movie is more than a year from being released. I hope the leak sets stop now, so people won´t get tired before the actual marketing starts.

I think they released the Gosling photos knowing the set photos would leak to get ahead of the trend. But production should be finishing soon and what's gone viral is only just a brief glimpse (so much of movie was shot on stages and in London). There'll be some teases and headlines when Baumbach and Greta promote White Noise this year, but I bet WB don't drop any official footage until Shazam (Dec) at earliest? Then I'd guess trailer come March 2023

Assuming that Barbie is as good as the talent involved in it suggests it could be, I don't think it necessarily needs any memes or ironic appeal to be a big crossover hit. If Greta Gerwig has another home run in her, I wouldn't be surprised to see a general reaction akin to the "Can you believe they really made a movie about this *and* it's really good?" reception that propelled The Lego Movie.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, ThomasNicole said:

The problem is just that everyone is already talking about it but the movie is more than a year from being released.

This right here is a biggie. And what made me think of Snakes On A Plane.  By the time the film came out, the memes had long lost their power and folks had already moved on to other things.  Doesn't mean it'll happen this time as there are many other things going for Barbie as this thread has noted.  But being viral a year from release isn't nearly as good as being viral on OW (or on week 8 or 10 or whatever it was for Morbius). 

Edited by Porthos
  • Like 2

1 minute ago, Ryan Reynolds said:

the internet talking about Cats did not help the box office, but Barbie is being covered by more than internet , its been talked about multiple times by my local news

I think there´s a difference. 

Morbius situation is actually closer to Cats than Minions. Everyone was being ironic because the movies was completely trash, it´s funny but in the end it was just the irony, lacking the curiosity and genuine enjoyment feel. 

Unlike Cats and Morbius, nobody is expecting Minions to be a trainwreck of a movie, it just got an A on cinemascore so the jokes comes from a different pov. 

Barbie needs to be release before we jump on conclusions, but on social media is already clear that all the memes also comes with a genuine curiosity in see the movie, now the movie need to deliver quality.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Legion and Thunder said:

Disney will only have 4/5 top 5 slots this year, RIP in peace 

Maybe they "only" have 3. I think Minions performing like this could beat MOM and Dominion and get to the top 5...

4 minutes ago, Flamengo81 said:

I agree from an artistic point of view, but are half of these names much different box office wise?

Greta directed Little Women which made over 100m domestic and 200 worldwide. Lady Bird is still one of the top grossing A24 films. Both are exceedingly well-liked which indicates reviews will be good which helps. Margot and Gosling aren't draws exactly but plugged into right project have delivered huge grosses (Wolf of Wall Street, La La Land, etc)

Has Jared Leto ever had a true theatrical hit outside of Suicide Squad, which was panned? Maybe Gucci but that was powered by Gaga..Every Espinosa except Safe House has flopped (Life, Child 44..) And the writers on Morbius were major red flags. They worked on Power Rangers, Last Witch Hunter, Gods of Egypt. Morbius was a bomb waiting to happen and didn't even get memed until after release. No talent attached was promising or even hinted at major breakout potential

3 minutes ago, ThomasNicole said:

I think there´s a difference. 

Morbius situation is actually closer to Cats than Minions. Everyone was being ironic because the movies was completely trash, it´s funny but in the end it was just the irony, lacking the curiosity and genuine enjoyment feel. 

Unlike Cats and Morbius, nobody is expecting Minions to be a trainwreck of a movie, it just got an A on cinemascore so the jokes comes from a different pov. 

Barbie needs to be release before we jump on conclusions, but on social media is already clear that all the memes also comes with a genuine curiosity in see the movie, now the movie need to deliver quality.

Barbie seems to have like a Magic Mike type hype, but once you add the typical family type audience it could be big

7 minutes ago, Legion and Thunder said:

Disney will only have 4/5 top 5 slots this year, RIP in peace 

3 minutes ago, Flamengo81 said:

Maybe they "only" have 3. I think Minions performing like this could beat MOM and Dominion and get to the top 5...

money-crying.gif

How will Disney live with the shame. :sadno:

3 minutes ago, BestPicturePlutoNash said:

I think they released the Gosling photos knowing the set photos would leak to get ahead of the trend. But production should be finishing soon and what's gone viral is only just a brief glimpse (so much of movie was shot on stages and in London). There'll be some teases and headlines when Baumbach and Greta promote White Noise this year, but I bet WB don't drop any official footage until Shazam (Dec) at earliest? Then I'd guess trailer come March 2023

I´m out of likes, but yeah totally agreed, and hopefully it will be this way. 

Everyone know it´s coming at this point, now give it some months without overexposing, i bet when the official marketing starts nobody will be tired so people will just start this whole meme culture again and get excited because it will be actually coming soon.

5 minutes ago, Porthos said:

This right here is a biggie. And, ironically, what made me think of Snakes On A Plane.  By the time the film came out, the memes had long lost their power and folks had already moved on to other things.  Doesn't mean it'll happen this time as there are many other things going for it as this thread has noted.  But being viral a year from release isn't nearly as good as being viral on OW (or on week 8 or 10 or whatever it was for Morbius). 

Definitely, Warner needs to be really careful, put this movie on freeze for the rest of the year once the shooting end is the wise option, this way i think it will be still super fresh for OW.

19 minutes ago, BestPicturePlutoNash said:

Because Greta Gerwig, Noah Baumbach, Margot Robbie, and Ryan Gosling aren't *checks notes* Jared Leto, Matt Smith, and Daniel Espinosa

but what if they are, though? 🤔

1 minute ago, charlie Jatinder said:

Barbie gives me CATs vibe

Nobody wanted to see Cats and everyone knew it would be bad though. It already had a very niche, limited audience since it was a notoriously weird stage show. And the movie cast was awful (James Corden) which was first indication it was a flop. Once that trailer hit, it was over. 

• Like 1