Eric S'ennui

THOR: LOVE AND THUNDER WEEKEND THREAD | The hammer swings down with 144.2 DOM, 302 WW, the 3rd-biggest 2022 opening | Minions 46.1, TGM 15.5, Elvis 11.2, JWD 8.6

Just now, THUNDER BIRD said:

I would say GvK here again.

I mean KOTM better visually, but GvK sold the movie to audience better.

Kong punching Godzilla on the ship is what was needed to sell the movie, and on top of that they gave Kong swinging  Warbat and Kong with Stormbreaker.

Somewhere over the Rainbow >>>>>> Monkey punching Lizard

1 hour ago, Brainbug said:

Mind you, its still a 9,5/10 for me. The only thing i didnt like about the movie was the soundtrack, which was bland, way too bombastic and didnt felt like a Godzilla score.

I rented Godzilla vs Kong on Amazon for 1 EUR only to not watch it coz i couldn't give enough shit. I want my 1 EUR back...

• Haha 1

16 minutes ago, Brainbug said:

Sorry, thats nonsense. KOTM has so much monster fight scenes, especially ofc in the third act, that people/some critics actually complained theres was too mich fight scenes in it lol. G14 had less cutaways because it also had way less fight scenes in total.

King of the Monsters - while yes, visually its too dark and muddled sometimes - is the wet dream of a Godzilla fan and i will forever defend it against all naysayers.

Third act of KOTM is fantastic, along with the Mexico scenes, but it spends such long stretches of time before that on family infighting and drama with those underdeveloped ecoterrorist characters. GvK was much more to-the-point. 

Edited by Menor Reborn
  • Like 1

When Elvis hits 100, it will be come the 16th live action 100m hit for Hanks (this of course excludes Toy Story and Polar Express)

Live-action:

2016: Sully- 125m

2013: Captain Phillips- 107.1m

2009: Angels and Demons- 133.3m

2006: The Da Vinci Code- 217.5m

2002: Catch Me If You Can- 164.6m

2002: Road to Perdition- 104m

2000: Cast Away- 233.6m

1999: The Green Mile- 136.8m

1998: You've Got Mail- 115.8m

1998: Saving Private Ryan- 216.3m

1995: Apollo 13- 173.7m

1994: Forrest Gump- 330.1m

1993: Sleepless in Seattle- 126.8m

1992: League of Their Own- 107.5m

1988: Big- 114.9m

• Like 5

1 hour ago, Brainbug said:

01. Jurassic Park
02. Jurassic World
03. Godzilla: King of the Monsters
04. Godzilla (2014)
05. The Lost World: Jurassic Park
06. Jurassic World: Dominion
07. Jurassic World: Fallen Kingdom
08. Godzilla (1954)
09. Godzilla vs Kong

10. The Godfather

I think The Godfather is too high.  It's not even in the same class as those cinematic Giants. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Eric Odinson said:

Dude, I don't care what you say

You're wrong in this case and you are a mod.  Saying someone is handsome or great looking or ripped or beautiful or about a dozen other things are more than fine.  

It crosses the line either way when you or anyone starts sexualizing it.  Grow up and do better.  

There is zero chance anyone allows this if suddenly we start doing this about women.  

• Like 8
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Issac Newton said:

Diversity demos were 39% Caucasian, a great 28% Hispanic and Latino turnout, 16% African American and 13% Asian.

So basically white people aren't seeing the movie (same problem MoM had). That explains the higher walkups (white ppl more likely to buy tickets ahead). 

Just now, krla said:

So basically white people aren't seeing the movie (same problem MoM had). That explains the higher walkups (white ppl more likely to buy tickets ahead). 

Technically, MOM's demo was "Diversity demos are 35% Caucasian, 30% Hispanic and Latino, 18% Black, 10% Asian, and 8% other."   Thor's is "Diversity demos were 39% Caucasian, a great 28% Hispanic and Latino turnout, 16% African American and 13% Asian."

So, Thor is drawing a smaller overall base than MoM, but of its lost base, it lost more minorities than whites.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, ringedmortality said:

So that means we can start talking about Mommy Milkers

Hey, why not.  Seems like the mod(s) are more than fine with it.  I guess when Where the Crawdads Sing comes out next week, it will be a good time to talk about how nice Daisy Edgar-Jones legs are and how nice it would be to kiss her inner thighs.  Cause that's totally not inappropriate or creepy at all.  

I'm sure our female members like @TwoMisfitswill appreciate it and want to scroll past these kinds of threads.  

Edited by EmpireCity
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

48 minutes ago, Liiviig 1998 said:

Well here is a stat for you 

Infinity saga 1 B cinema score out of 23

Phase 4  3 last of 4 B cinema scores. That will create a lot of reasonable concern chatter .

Same shit happens with eternals , it the first rotten mcu and then some complain of the overreactions yet it being the first rotten is a big enough topic to create chatter.

Is the box office fine yes but stop acting like a worrying pattern is not developing here.

Will never forget the Eternals opening weekend... There was lots of insistence that only extremely online people paid attention to Rotten Tomatoes, then Saturday Night Live aired and during the cold open, the Trump impersonator riffed on Eternals' bad RT score.

Even if critics turned on the MCU, if audiences were still into the new movies, they'd all still be getting the A, A- Cinemascores like before. Critics always hated Transformers but fans were here for it...until they weren't. Nothing is too big to fail. Maybe not today or tomorrow, but anything can fall off due to failure to adapt.

44 minutes ago, AnDr3s said:

The VFX people are just overworked, even before Covid it was a problem with the MCU and now there's way more content.

1 minute ago, BoxOfficeFangrl said:

Will never forget the Eternals opening weekend... There was lots of insistence that only extremely online people paid attention to Rotten Tomatoes, then Saturday Night Live aired and during the cold open, the Trump impersonator riffed on Eternals' bad RT score.

Even if critics turned on the MCU, if audiences were still into the new movies, they'd all still be getting the A, A- Cinemascores like before. Critics always hated Transformers but fans were here for it...until they weren't. Nothing is too big to fail. Maybe not today or tomorrow, but anything can fall off due to failure to adapt.

The VFX people are just overworked, even before Covid it was a problem with the MCU and now there's way more content.

MCU needs Avengers.

Avengers was the Ace in the hole for MCU, the single biggest reason why people used to look forward to MCU movies was because of THE AVENGERS.

Phase 4 is the first Phase ever where there is no Avengers, and MCU is looking messy..... Coincidence? I think not. 

9 minutes ago, EmpireCity said:

Hey, why not.  Seems like the mod(s) are more than fine with it.  I guess when Where the Crawdads Sing comes out next week, it will be a good time to talk about how nice Daisy Edgar-Jones legs are and how nice it would be to kiss her inner thighs.  Cause that's totally not inappropriate or creepy at all.  

I'm sure our female members like @TwoMisfitswill appreciate it and want to scroll past these kinds of threads.  

You know, these weekend threads have been a pendulum of sex orgies to Victorian properness as I've been here over the years...while it's not my thing and I don't post it, I have learned to ignore the raunch when the product is good enough (ala The Boys and Peacemaker this year - although Peacemaker, you didn't really need it:), so consider me in the "abstaining" from this discussion and encouraging the rest of the weekend threads to be so good it won't matter if we are discussing proper tea with the queen etiquette or the recent The Boys Herogasm episode b/c both can be skipped to get to the good stuff of the discussion - the movies and their box office!:)

Edited by TwoMisfits
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, TwoMisfits said:

You know, these weekend threads have been a pendulum of sex orgies to Victorian properness as I've been here over the years...while it's not my thing and I don't post it, I have learned to ignore the raunch when the product is good enough (ala The Boys and Peacemaker this year - although Peacemaker, you didn't really need it:), so consider me in the "abstaining" from this discussion and encouraging the rest of the weekend threads to be so good it won't matter if we are discussing proper tea with the queen etiquette or the recent The Boys Herogasm episode b/c both can be skipped to get to the good stuff of the discussion - the movies and their box office!:)

Right, but the point is that you nor anyone else should have to even see some of the crap that gets posted.  It's a forum for talking about box office, industry numbers and industry topics/news.  

If Eric or anyone wants to talk about how much they want to get it on with Thor or Chalamet or Portman or Jolie, take it to the off topic thread.  

I just got out of the movie. It was... great? Are people losing their minds? Maybe it has way too many jokes in the first half but the 2nd half is fantastic. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, John Marston said:

250m budget confirmed. Most expensive non Avengers Marvel film I think. If the movie makes 750m worldwide it will be a solid hit but not a huge one

6rgae2u99ka91.jpg?width=1024&auto=webp&s

The total cost of THOR 3 was $470m including marketing + other expenses.  So THOR 4 is probably over $500m total costs. 

Despite grossing $850m THOR 3 did not go into profit until home video + TV.