Sophia Jane

Avatar :The Way of the Water OS thread

1 hour ago, Issac Newton said:

Avatar: The Way of Water has become the most-watched film in Luxembourg cinemas, according to Kinepolis Luxembourg.

65K as of 01/27

The Lion King (61,307), Frozen II (57,475), No Time To Die (50,224), Avengers Endgame (50,085), Spider-Man: No Way Home (47,929), Joker (46,939), Top Gun: Maverick (45,503), Star Wars Episode VIII - The Last Jedi (41,853) and homegrown film Superjhemp Retöms (41,691)

Damn the all time record is just 1/10 of the population, that's not very good

9 hours ago, MG10 said:

Damn the all time record is just 1/10 of the population, that's not very good

I think you are wrong with this, if you check all time admissions lists from many countries, 10 % of the population is very common as the all time number 1 in admissions. 
There are even, some countries where they even not reach this 10 % .
USA, Australia, France, Japan and other countries are exceptions, but this 10 % is quite common.

23 hours ago, setna said:

I think you are wrong with this, if you check all time admissions lists from many countries, 10 % of the population is very common as the all time number 1 in admissions. 
There are even, some countries where they even not reach this 10 % .
USA, Australia, France, Japan and other countries are exceptions, but this 10 % is quite common.

Yeah you are right, this was my thought as an Italian where Titanic for example sold over 13 million tickets when the population was 55 million, but indeed for recently developed markets I imagine they haven't yet reached their peak and still haven't had a film that could achieve results as incredible as Titanic

But Luxembourg is still strange, no film older than 5 years in top 10 means they must have build their first theaters a few years ago... 

Edited by MG10
  • Like 1

28 minutes ago, MG10 said:

But Luxembourg is still strange, no film older than 5 years in top 10 means they must have build their first theaters a few years ago... 

"One thing to keep in mind, is that Luxembourg is a massively growing country. The countries population went up 50% since 2000 so its only logical recent movies are the most watched". - Reddit

• Like 2

1 hour ago, MG10 said:

Yeah you are right, this was my thought as an Italian where Titanic for example sold over 13 million tickets when the population was 55 million, but indeed for recently developed markets I imagine they haven't yet reached their peak and still haven't had a film that could achieve results as incredible as Titanic

Yeah, Titanic is the exception of all exceptions, haha. I´m from Spain and also here it was more than 20 % of population the number of tickets sold.
I think in other countries was the same, but maybe its counting system wasn´t well developed at that time, and after that no other film has done the same amount of numbers. 
Some countries with some films (France - Welcome to the sticks/ untouchables) Japan -Demon Slayer) but it´s very difficult to go over this 10 %.
About Luxembourg, i also didn´t know population has grown so much in the last 20 years and maybe this is the cause.

• Like 1

Little update on the various markets now that its run has almost ended:

Usa/Canada - 682M

China - 246M

France - 156M

Germany - 149M

South Korea - 108M

UK - 93M

Australia - 64M

India - 59M

Mexico - 56M

Spain - 55M

Italy - 48M

Brazil - 46M

Japan - 32M

Netherlands - 32M

Taiwan - 24M

• Like 7

When is the OS gross going to be corrected on The Numbers? They seem to have rolled back to an earlier number and stopped updating, which has dropped the WW gross just below $2.3 billion. BOM still has the correct numbers fortunately. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, KP1025 said:

When is the OS gross going to be corrected on The Numbers? They seem to have rolled back to an earlier number and stopped updating, which has dropped the WW gross just below $2.3 billion. BOM still has the correct numbers fortunately. 

Bom has some wrong numbers here and there and we are probably talking about a few dozens movies (even very important ones), but in TheNumbers's case they are probably hundreds...

Yeah according to the-numbers it's lost $7m OS in the last two weeks. They also have Titanic $33m below BOM's number. BOM is falling apart too in other ways but we know it's way more accurate in these cases because their numbers have consistently aligned with what other credible outlets have reported.

• Like 3

5 hours ago, interiorgatordecorator said:

whats more impressive: france or germany?

I vote for Germany because for big Hollywood movies in 90% of the cases France grosses more than Germany, while in this case it was very close and the two are almost on par

Plus having both above UK isn't something you see every day

Edited by MG10

7 hours ago, interiorgatordecorator said:

whats more impressive: france or germany?

I think both are very close in this kind of success.
In Germany is the most attended movie since, of course, Avatar in 2009. After 2020, the things were worse and worse in these years, and if you look the top 10 since 2020, Avatar 2 is lightyears ahead all movies except last James Bond, but even, more than 33 % ahead.
In France, is the all time 3rd Hollywood movie, behind, of course, Titanic and Avatar, so i think this is a great success. 
Also, since 2020, is the biggest hit for 4 million admits more, that is a lot, alo over 1/3 more than the second.
France, has more moviegoing historically than Germany, so 14 M tickets for 60 M people is quite impressive.
In germany sold 10 M tickets for 80 M people, is less compared in raw numbers, but seeing the trend in the last 30 years i think is also a giant success, so...for me it´s difficult to decide.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, titanic2187 said:

After 17 weeks and still in theater, Avatar 2 come back to every IMAX 3D screen in Malaysia, starting tomorrow. The movie will also re-expand to normal 3D hall although only one show per day. 

earth day?

On 4/12/2023 at 8:43 AM, Jiffy said:

Avatwo breaking the 4th week admissions record in Germany is still probably its most impressive individual accomplishment to me.

Yeah,  that´s true, i didn´t remember it and especially to mention which movie beat for the number 1, some small movie called Titanic... 

In these times being all time in 4th week is something really miraculous, good for you to point it.