YM!

Inside Out 2 | June 14, 2024 | Pixar does it again!

19 minutes ago, MysteryMovieMogul said:

I mean, I think a review needs to engage with the film more than just "see this film" or "don't see this film." I want to know if the story works or doesn't work, if there's something that makes the film stick out from others of the same type, etc.

As for what I don't think reviews should contain, I don't believe a review should comment on the film's marketing, interviews with the studio, anything outside the scope of the filmmaking. That's for a separate article.

When Pixar says "we're going to make more films with universal appeal," that's a marketing statement. I would argue Turning Red is as much a universal story as Toy Story. They're saying what they have to, to try to get people back in theaters watching their films. So if a critic is going into Inside Out 2 buying the marketing hook, line, and sinker, I don't trust them, because a film critic should be well-versed in how movie's need to market themselves to attract audiences.

Well yeah i get that and i agreed at some point, but since it’s an industry is hard to treat a movie as simply art because there is marketing, pressure and executive interference in them, they’ll never be just the art because they’re made in a very anti-art system, it’s an eternal contradiction that sometimes becomes more apparent.

I don’t think this conversation is needed to write a review, which is why i understand your pov, but i don’t see a problem either with talking about how the marketing or the executives discourse can interfere in the art you just watched, for better or worse. To me is interesting as critical analysis, especially when it comes without a grade.

1 hour ago, ThomasNicole said:

Well yeah i get that and i agreed at some point, but since it’s an industry is hard to treat a movie as simply art because there is marketing, pressure and executive interference in them, they’ll never be just the art because they’re made in a very anti-art system, it’s an eternal contradiction that sometimes becomes more apparent.

I don’t think this conversation is needed to write a review, which is why i understand your pov, but i don’t see a problem either with talking about how the marketing or the executives discourse can interfere in the art you just watched, for better or worse. To me is interesting as critical analysis, especially when it comes without a grade.

I thought we were talking specifically about reviews that pop up on Rotten Tomatoes, which are graded. As I said, critical analysis is fine, but even Ebert's reviews weren't critical analysis of the nature you're talking about.

2 minutes ago, MysteryMovieMogul said:

I thought we were talking specifically about reviews that pop up on Rotten Tomatoes, which are graded. As I said, critical analysis is fine, but even Ebert's reviews weren't critical analysis of the nature you're talking about.

I prefer metacritic tbh, the reviews there tends more to be more thoughtful, and plenty doesn’t have grades (even if MC grades the texts themselves to add it on the movie’s page).

1 hour ago, keysersoze123 said:

Thread title makes it a disappointment. 😄

1 hour ago, todos said:

Who wrote that thread title? lmao

Yeah it has a 92% right now…let’s not wait for the Academy Award nomination to come up with a more positive title.

33 minutes ago, thajdikt said:

This movie will forever be the answer to crying about late embargo. This is Disney best reviewed theatrical movie since like forever 

After a considerable amount of recent movies dropping reviews early and bombing commercially, i think studios will start to drop reviews very close to release especially to expected walkup heavy movies, trying to get headlines about how good it is right before people can actually see it. 

• Like 4

5 hours ago, todos said:

Not me. Haven’t touched the thread title since like when it was announced lol

6 hours ago, keysersoze123 said:

Thread title makes it a disappointment. 😄

6 hours ago, todos said:

It was me. And like...that's accurate? Reviews are great, but it's not as great as the first movie. What do you want me to say? :lol:

• Like 2

6 hours ago, ThomasNicole said:

After a considerable amount of recent movies dropping reviews early and bombing commercially, i think studios will start to drop reviews very close to release especially to expected walkup heavy movies, trying to get headlines about how good it is right before people can actually see it. 

I'm surprised studios haven't started doing this sooner. There's no reason reviews need to be out a week ahead of time, since most people who preorder tickets make up their minds way before reviews. Dune 2 did great, yet it got no noticeable bump via the review drop. It did get a bump by actual word of mouth, though.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, thajdikt said:

This movie will forever be the answer to crying about late embargo. This is Disney best reviewed theatrical movie since like forever 

So people better remember that when they announce that DP and W does not get it's embargo dropped until Wed July 24th. We do not need the whole the movie is terrible they are hiding it thing.  

• Like 1

I think earlier embargoes might be helpful for non-sequels but then again Elemental was not helped by Cannes. But if the movie is good, a week or more of hype can help it, like with the original Inside Out.

Expect even more endless Pixar sequels announcements at D23

Why is it that they dont make 2 Animated films back to back....Its always live action stuff like Pirates 2 and 3 or Avengers 3 and 4

Spiderverse 2 and 3 should have been made together.....They should make Incredibles 3 and 4 together