YM!

Inside Out 2 | June 14, 2024 | Pixar does it again!

53 minutes ago, JWR said:

I was so certain that Despicable Me 4 was a lock for the highest grossing family film this summer.

But after this movie made $30M on a Wednesday, I may have to rethink that...

It was apparent it wouldn't be the biggest family movie after the OW, imo.

• Like 1

On 6/18/2024 at 9:19 PM, Insomnia said:

I don't agree with the notion that a good or bad opening is determined by budget. Whatever the studio spends on a movie is their problem. Let's say a studio inexplicably spends $180M or something on a horror film and said horror film opens to $40M and legs to $100M to $120M. You can't say that's a bad opening. It's just the studio's fault for spending too much on it.

The same logic applies to the upcoming expensive as hell Mission Impossible. Let's say its true the budget is nearing $400M, but it goes on to earn $900M. I'm going to call that a successful performance. It's just not successful for the studio , which, as a box office nerd and a customer, I don't really give a crap about. Again, that part of it is their problem.

Back to Inside Out 2, yeah it's irrelevant how one would label an $85M opening now but I do believe everyone is allowed to feel however they want about a particular number. Who cares, unless it's over the top silly (which saying $85M would be underwhelming isn't, not by a long shot).

In the real world, Budget sure as hell does matter if a opening is good or bad.

I am not denying that studios overspend a movies far to often....I often bitched about that....but this whole idea of divorcing what is a good opening into some abstract universe where how much a film cost is irrevelent is nonsense. 

The doubt comes from the fact that just because the studio reports a certain number as a budget doesn't necessarily mean that's what it actually is. Hollywood accounting is a thing and there can be all kinds of ulterior motives for why a number is fudged lower or higher when made public information. You can only really glean just how successful the movie was in the studio's eye sometimes long after the fact with some distance from the realtime box office run. In Pixar's case though I think it's reasonable to assume $200 million is in the ballpark given how consistent it's been through their canon.

This is Pixar's best sequel, in my opinion. It managed to be as funny and profoundly moving as the first - in some ways, even more impressively so, given the greater complexity of emotions as Riley is growing up. The larger themes and concepts that the film explores feel still so rooted in an authentic human experience.

In a way, it is not surprising that the film has blown up at the box office, as these films are really tracking our emotional journey as humans. 

Looking forward to following this box office run into it's second weekend and beyond.

Peace,

Mike

• Like 6

3 hours ago, dudalb said:

In the real world, Budget sure as hell does matter if a opening is good or bad.

I am not denying that studios overspend a movies far to often....I often bitched about that....but this whole idea of divorcing what is a good opening into some abstract universe where how much a film cost is irrevelent is nonsense. 

I think bad for the studio and bad for the film are two different things. I won't argue that there are real world concerns when a movie doesn't make back it's budget. That's obvious. But again, using my previous example, if Mission: Impossible 8 makes $900 million worldwide but still loses money due to an obscene budget, I can't call that a bad number. It's just not. Again, it's the studio's problem if they spent so much that they still couldn't make money with that result. There's only so much you can ask from a film and from the audience in some cases. That is just as much reality as what you're talking about.

• Like 1

I would presume studios have made writeoffs beforehand if they decide they did in fact overspend on a movie. I think in those cases the audience reception is the main deciding factor if a movie's box office run is good or bad in hindsight and was worth the investment. A movie that opens to $200 mil but only ends up making $400 mil total doesn't inspire as much of a morale boost as one that opens to only $50 mil but legs out to the same total. 

Lightyear and Elemental are kind of night and day extremes of that difference. Yeah they were likely a bomb and success nominally but their word of mouth / legs really drove the narrative both ways as well.

• Like 1

I think this is way better than other Pixar sequel like finding dory or I2 and Ts4. Not as emotional charged like TS3 or smart like TS2 but definitely a better of the bunch. Somehow this sequel manage to retain some of the novelty or freshness of the first one unlike other Pixar sequel where their freshness just naturally diminish as sequel goes. 

On 6/25/2024 at 7:46 AM, cannastop said:

This is the same outlet that thought that Inside Out 2 would have a $60m OW, so take this with a grain of salt.

Dunno so far like live action there's a struggle for original animation at the BO. Maybe though something like Mario and Spider-Verse proves is animation can be viable adaptations of large IP. Zelda and Minecraft could have been animated and arguably do better if they're animated?

• Like 1

I actually loved this film. I really liked the first, but this one tops it solely because of how well they depicted Anxiety. You could hear a lot of women crying during some pivotal scenes.

• Like 1