YM!

Wish | Walt Disney Animation Studios | November 22, 2023 | Chris Pine plays a baddie DILF, new trailer has dropped, reactions are reactions

13 minutes ago, Eric Mouse said:

Ehhhh, this has some awkward flow to it. Also feels more like a Swift/Perry song than a Disney tune (Which I mean, for the record, I'm sure that's the intention)

That's interesting, I actually felt exactly the same and my only big Swift experience is her Folklore album and some random singles. And yet this screamed Swift at me in some parts.

23 minutes ago, Eric Mouse said:

Ehhhh, this has some awkward flow to it. Also feels more like a Swift/Perry song than a Disney tune (Which I mean, for the record, I'm sure that's the intention)

Yeah I like it but it’s not giving Disney vibes. I do wonder if it’ll catch on though which is the biggest concern.

2 minutes ago, Morieris said:

I wonder if they'll try to get her to sing it for the inevitable 'pop star remakes this song version for the album' they did for Frozen II where Kacey Muskgraves covered All Is Found.

Tbh if Disney were to do it and paid Swift big money, they should’ve dropped a trailer to go with Eras with the Swift version.

Kind of realized something: what happened to the Lopezes? You would think after they wrote the songs for the biggest Disney movie ever, the most famous Disney song ever, they would be attached to every future Disney project like Alan Menken was in the 90s. But all they have done since then was a song for Coco and a song for WandaVision. And it's not like either of them are busy with other stuff. I guess Lin-Manuel Miranda's the bigger name, so Disney wants to have him in their movies instead? I dunno, it's weird.

• Like 1

Just now, Eric Mouse said:

Kind of realized something: what happened to the Lopezes? You would think after they wrote the songs for the biggest Disney movie ever, the most famous Disney song ever, they would be attached to every future Disney project like Alan Menken was in the 90s. But all they have done since then was a song for Coco and a song for WandaVision. And it's not like either of them are busy with other stuff. I guess Lin-Manuel Miranda's the bigger name, so Disney wants to have him in their movies instead? I dunno, it's weird.

I honestly think it was Chapek not willing to pay them for it - like Mindy Kaling and Bill Hader for IO2.

2 minutes ago, Eric Mouse said:

Until this comment I thought they were writing these songs for this movie and went "Well their lyrics have gotten better!"

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, AniNate said:

Must've had some kind of deep falling out when Gigantic got canned

At the risk of a Marvel derailment, they did do music for Wandavision

Yeah but then they did all of the music for Frozen 2, even after the Gigantic stuff, and it would be shocking if they didn't come back for Frozen 3. I don't think the fact that Disney hasn't gone back to the same well every time is really a story. The Lopezes did Frozen, Coco, Gigantic, and Frozen 2. Lin Manuel was brought in for Moana and Encanto. Barring any behind the scenes rumblings bubbling up, I think people are reading too much into this.

As for this song, it's fine, but I don't see it moving the needle much. It doesn't strike me as having the catchiness of Let It Go or We Don't Talk About Bruno. Hopefully something else on the soundtrack does. This movie could live or die on having a song that catches on or not.

The fact that anyone puts "Bruno" and "catchy" in the same sentence continues to boggle my mind. I've tried listening to that song multiple times and I just can't see it.

Does seem like most people are liking this though, at least that aren't on the forum. Disney sure is trying their hardest to make it a hit. I am looking forward to the villain song and also the forest animal chorus thing.

• Like 1
  • Disbelief 1

1 minute ago, AniNate said:

The fact that anyone puts "Bruno" and "catchy" in the same sentence continues to boggle my mind. I've tried listening to that song multiple times and I just can't see it.

Does seem like most people are liking this though, at least that aren't on the forum. Disney sure is trying their hardest to make it a hit. I am looking forward to the villain song and also the forest animal chorus thing.

It's been on my mind on repeat since you've first mentioned it an hour ago... That's how catchy it is

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Eric Mouse said:

they made a whole musical romantic comedy Up Here for Hulu this year but nobody watched it. 

I think Disney tries different things but Alan's run in the 90s was crazy(and his songs for Tangled the series were super good)

1 hour ago, AniNate said:

I'm more partial to The Family Madrigal but there's a lot of easily repeatable lyrics in Bruno (and "it's a heavy lift with a gift so humble" is a fire lyric).

Madrigal I could understand, that's the most memorable tune from Encanto imo. Surface Pressure not bad either. Overall though Encanto just left me cold and I'm usually on the Lin train. Moana definitely slaps though so wouldn't mind him doing another Disney musical.

As much as the press is emphasizing the "homage" angle on Wish, it does feel like they're trying a whole bunch of different technical and musical stuff here, and hopefully that's the hook that ultimately leads it to critical and commercial success.

Edited by AniNate