YM!

Wish | Walt Disney Animation Studios | November 22, 2023 | Chris Pine plays a baddie DILF, new trailer has dropped, reactions are reactions

33 minutes ago, Mojoguy said:

A- was the lowest CS grade Wish could afford to have. I see average legs for it though.

Frozen characters are beloved around the world which helped F2, even if the story was just ok. Big demand to see the sequel. But they need to do better for Frozen 3+4.

I literally just found out about 4 and am so irritated. Screw Disney for being so greedy and not caring about the art of this medium right now. 

Edited by MovieMan89

4 minutes ago, HummingLemon496 said:

This doesn't have the crazy summer advantage like Elemental did. Kids gotta go back to school in a bit  :hahaha:

I always thought Thankgiving week was not a good week to release a film. Big 5 days, but a big drop the next week and too far away from Christmas break for amazing legs except for rvery rare exceptions like Frozen.

The week BEFORE Thanksgiving is where it's at, taken by Twilight and THG films in the past, you get one week before the holiday and then 5 day weekend for the 2nd week.

• Like 5

5 hours ago, Mojoguy said:

I always thought Thankgiving week was not a good week to release a film. Big 5 days, but a big drop the next week and too far away from Christmas break for amazing legs except for rvery rare exceptions like Frozen.

The week BEFORE Thanksgiving is where it's at, taken by Twilight and THG films in the past, you get one week before the holiday and then 5 day weekend for the 2nd week.

Yes! i always thought the same. And then disney kills its legs with their december release which is either star wars or avatar.

9 hours ago, MovieMan89 said:

I literally just found out about 4 and am so irritated. Screw Disney for being so greedy and not caring about the art of this medium right now. 

Given how it's looking like they're about to have their second straight original flop, I can't blame them as much as I might otherwise.

Pretty much the only thing keeping Jennifer Lee in charge as well, I'm sure

50 minutes ago, AniNate said:

Given how it's looking like they're about to have their second straight original flop, I can't blame them as much as I might otherwise.

Because sequels can't flop........ try telling that to Kevin Feige.

Edited by scytheavatar

39 minutes ago, AniNate said:

They definitely have more insurance, at least ones where the last installment previously made over a billion

Yeah. Frozen 2 was a big success.

That said, I didn't feel there was the same exciment with Frozen 2 than the first Frozen (and its song). It's going to be interesting to know how popular Frozen 3 will be.

• Like 1

Frozen sequels are not flopping for sure. They have huge equity built in that guarantee's certain gross. not just domestic but WW as well. it will get prime release date(week before thanksgiving or even Dec 3rd weekend) and its a sequel that is coming up after 5+ years. I expect F4 is coming up as F3 will end with a cliff hanger.  

Disney’s Wish gets an A- CinemaScore which isn’t shabby, just under Thanksgiving princess pics Encanto (A) and Tangled (A+) and Frozen (A+), but the same as Frozen II (A-). Family and kids under 12 gave the animated pic 4.5 stars out of 5 on Comscore/Screen Engine’s PostTrak. Wish is 3 1/2 stars with general audiences and 71%. Overall 65% women to 35% men. Get this: guys liked it better than women, 80% to 65%. Might be that bubbly star in the movie that’s warming dudes’ hearts. Women over 25 were the biggest turnout at 37% (67% grade), women under 25 at 24% (62% grade), men under 25 at 22% (80% grade), and men over 25 at 17% (also 80% grade).

71% and 3 1/2 stars is a big yikes here. Strange World had 82% and 4 stars.

Kinda interesting how it's the inverse of last year. Wish is skewing female but men like it more, whereas Strange World skewed male but had women enjoying it more.

• Astonished 2

5 hours ago, AniNate said:

I don’t see any excuses to do 3 and 4 back to back beyond major misguided greedy notions here. I give it like a 2% chance they have an actual artistic vision for something like that. If the Cars sequels reeked of “made for merch”, this decision makes those seem like they were greenlit out of the most artistically inspired place imaginable. Truly not exaggerating when I say this Frozen 3/4 thing sounds like the most corporate greed decisions they’ve ever made.

WDAS for 85 years has been all about non-sequel new movies. I will give them a pass for F2 because the first was so huge I get the temptation was too big for them, but again, this decision is just unforgivable and this mentality could legitimately ruin a near century old studio with arguably the most storied history in Hollywood. I can 100% see all the Revival successes getting sequels now. I hate it so much. 

• Like 2

I also think 4 is a guaranteed epic bomb if they did make these out of greed and they suck, and it will serve them right big time. People are not giving Disney free passes anymore, they really don’t get how much they’re not in a place to be doing this crap. Focusing on creative and inspired originals is their only way back to WDAS supremacy, like it always has been. 

• Like 2

In any case, rumors are their planned movie for next year is actually another original, although I wouldn't put it past Iger to fast track a sequel still if Wish flops. I imagine that's why they're holding off on officially announcing what it is even though the sag strike is over now.

• Sad 1

Anecdotal, but I was at a birthday party for a three year old girl a few months back and all the little girls were dressed as Elsa and they had Frozen and Moana music videos playing in the background the whole time. That franchise does really well converting new generations (a Moana 2 would be even bigger though). 

If Zootopia 2 can be ready for the Fall, they should go with that one. Having three originals flop in a row would be a very bad look for WDAS. 

• Like 2

12 minutes ago, ZeroHour said:

Anecdotal, but I was at a birthday party for a three year old girl a few months back and all the little girls were dressed as Elsa and they had Frozen and Moana music videos playing in the background the whole time. That franchise does really well converting new generations (a Moana 2 would be even bigger though). 

If Zootopia 2 can be ready for the Fall, they should go with that one. Having three originals flop in a row would be a very bad look for WDAS. 

I didn't feel Moana was so popular. Her movie was fine, but it doesn't seem to have a so big impact.

That said, I don't have kids so it's possible I didn't know enough about the movie audience.

Edited by Kon

14 minutes ago, Kon said:

I didn't feel Moana was so popular. Her movie was fine, but it doesn't seem to have a so big impact.

That said, I don't have kids so it's possible I didn't know enough about the movie audience.

Moana is super, duper popular. Disney fans especially are super big on Moana. 

Moana has been a mainstay on the D+ streaming charts since its inception, it's a lot closer to Frozen in pop culture footprint these days than its box office might indicate. I happened to walk across a car with a "Hei hei is my spirit animal" decal on my way to viewing this movie.

• Like 3