Eric is Quiet

A2 WEEKEND THREAD | 134.1M DOM OW | Thurs 17m / Fri 36m / Sat 45m / Sun 36m

How old were you when Avatar (2009) first came out?  

176 members have voted

1. 1. How old were you when Avatar (2009) first came out?

5 minutes ago, ZattMurdock said:

If people truly think that changing the window will change the box office returns drastically, they are in for a rude awakening. The streaming services during the pandemic only accelerated a process that was already in course. 

I agree on both accounts - particularly the acceleration part - but do need to stop the bleeding and figure out to adapt  in the new market 

Step 1 is a longer release window, step 2 (should be) expanding PLFs 

1 minute ago, M37 said:

I agree on both accounts - particularly the acceleration part - but do need to stop the bleeding and figure out to adapt  in the new market 

Step 1 is a longer release window, step 2 (should be) expanding PLFs 

Jim literally saving cinema by pushing for PLF expansion

32 minutes ago, thajdikt said:

Also Disney need to break that stupid window with Wakanda Forever and Avatar... Don´t put WF on D+ before March for the love of something. Same with Avatar. Wait to summer. These new habits needs to go. 

February would fit well for Wakanda Forver since it's Black History Month. For Way of Water they should wait until April

2 minutes ago, IronJimbo said:

Jim literally saving cinema by pushing for PLF expansion

I don’t know about that - it’s been clear for a while now that PLF demand exceeds supply, meaning money is being left on the table by people settling for standard shows, plus releases having to fight for & often give up those screens after 1-2 week for the next feature. If your audience pool is smaller, volume is reduced, gotta be more effective at maximizing return per person

(And the last time Jim ushered in a format expansion - 3D - it died in a few years, leaving all that equipment to collect dust)

• Like 5

Just now, Grebacio said:

February would fit well for Wakanda Forver since it's Black History Month. For Way of Water they should wait until April

I don’t think Wakanda Forever is getting released before the Oscars. March and April for Wakanda Forever and Way of the Water, subsequently.

1 minute ago, M37 said:

I don’t know about that - it’s been clear for a while now that PLF demand exceeds supply, meaning money is being left on the table by people settling for standard shows, plus releases having to fight for & often give up those screens after 1-2 week for the next feature. If your audience pool is smaller, volume is reduced, gotta be more effective at maximizing return per person

(And the last time Jim ushered in a format expansion - 3D - it died in a few years, leaving all that equipment to collect dust)

fortnately big Jim is back again in 2 years.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, MovieMan89 said:

If people really do “wait for streaming” with the movie, the third film is screwed because these movie’s reception would be nothing without the big screen experience. 

You either watch Avatar in theaters (once, twice, whatever times) and watch it on streaming when available or you don't watch it all.

There is no such thing "I will wait to watch Avatar on streaming". No you won't...!!!

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, M37 said:

Even if 3D is not something that stayed it's still used on biggest blockbusters. Watched IW/Endgame/NWH all in 3D.
edit: + DS:MoM in 3D

Edited by adaros

1 minute ago, stephanos13 said:

You either watch Avatar in theaters (once, twice, whatever times) and watch it on streaming when available or you don't watch it all.

There is no such thing "I will wait to watch Avatar on streaming". No you won't...!!!

That’s what I’m saying, and why I still don’t believe great legs aren’t in store here. Even if by “great legs” it takes until March to see the full scope of it, not just a great 2nd weekend hold or something. 

Edited by MovieMan89

It was way too long ago now, but if memory serves I feel like I got into plenty of arguments in the week after A1’s OW leading to the 2nd weekend with people around here saying the WOM “wouldn’t be anything exceptional.” Again, I won’t believe lackluster legs until I see it. 

2 minutes ago, stephanos13 said:

Tell that to a shitload of people that simply don’t go at the movies anymore unless is something they truly care about. 

• Like 8

4 minutes ago, stephanos13 said:

I think audiences (aka consumers) are pretty good at deciding for themselves what is an appropriate cost/benefit calculation

• Like 4