Eric Prime

Weekdays Thread (12/19-22) | Avatar: The Way of 14.5 | Mon 16.2, Tue 18.3, Wed 14.3, Thu 14.5| Puss 3.2 OD | Check In For Your Hourly Weather Update

33 minutes ago, Vector Sigma said:

Lmao I said this is the type of movie that isn't gonna speak to Black audiences. We always talk about the demo in the opening weekend but what about the next? There's no other explanation for this movie to open under 150. Nobody is obligated to make a movie for every race but you'd think the studios would have slid a Angela Basset or someone in the movie. Still sticking to 1.6 billion but most of it is coming from outside America. 

32 minutes ago, Cheddar Please said:

Speaking entirely anecdotally here, Gen Z is either entirely disinterested or outright dislikes Avatar, that's one of the reasons I've been more cautious in my predictions leading up to its release. I feel like its reputation has been tied to 3D, and not in a good way, like 3D its seen by Zoomers as a tired fad that's had its time in the sun. Without a compelling story, the visuals haven't been enough to make Gen Z care about it in the long run, especially with meme culture being a thing and Avatar being played so straight as to make itself a prime target for mockery.

I mean...that's not true.

17% of Avatar's audience was Black, which is above the 13.6% average and roughly the same as Dominion, Love and Thunder, Doctor Strange 2 and The Batman, and fairly above Top Gun and Minions. There are a few like Black Panther and Black Adam and Sonic 2 that are a bit higher (though Sonic's only at about 20% so not that much higher), but this seems like a fairly standard turnout that got those audiences on board. Maybe it could have done more, but it still seems to match what the usual tentpole opener is like.

And Gen Z also seems pretty solid here since 18-34 are still the biggest demo at about 61%. Which yeah, Gen Z only fits half, but the under 25 demo still roughly came out about 41%, which is only slightly worse than Dominion, Love and Thunder, and Doctor Strange 2, and on par with The Batman. And those are all properties that are hip with the youths. It actually skewed younger than Black Adam believe it or not.

So in terms of those demos, they are the least of our worries.

• Like 10
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, Eric The Last Airbender said:

He...already did this? And nobody watched it?

To be fair Rodriguez and others did it, not him. I’d be intrigued if he would go back to the franchise. And the idea of exploring A.I. instead of the classical metallic Ahnolds is intriguing in premise. 

1 minute ago, ZattMurdock said:

To be fair Rodriguez and others did it, not him. I’d be intrigued if he would go back to the franchise. And the idea of exploring A.I. instead of the classical metallic Ahnolds is intriguing in premise. 

*Tim Miller, and JC was heavily involved with Dark Fate.

Just now, Dragoncaine said:

Avatar 4 has only shot the first act. Jon Landau confirmed this last week.

That makes more sense, still I feel like 4 is pretty much in the bag for happening. 5 is the one where I think it's a loooot more up in the air.

• Thanks 1

50 minutes ago, Cheddar Please said:

Speaking entirely anecdotally here, Gen Z is either entirely disinterested or outright dislikes Avatar, that's one of the reasons I've been more cautious in my predictions leading up to its release. I feel like its reputation has been tied to 3D, and not in a good way, like 3D its seen by Zoomers as a tired fad that's had its time in the sun. Without a compelling story, the visuals haven't been enough to make Gen Z care about it in the long run, especially with meme culture being a thing and Avatar being played so straight as to make itself a prime target for mockery.

The first time my daughter saw Avatar in full was last week and she was Astonished when I explained how it made so much money, and showed her YouTube footage of the news at the time.

You are right. The problem is the significance of Avatar is tied to CG and 3D. 3D is insignificant when you are literally born into the fad (or don't even remember it), and the fully realised CG world is insignificant due to video games and other movies. To the young kids Avatar is a ok - boring film they only saw once on a 43 inch TV. A weird blip in history. 

When it was easier for me to convince my kid to give a Top Gun sequel a chance than it was for me to convince her to see Avatar 2, I figured there might be a problem here.

• Like 6

9 minutes ago, Mulder said:

That makes more sense, still I feel like 4 is pretty much in the bag for happening. 5 is the one where I think it's a loooot more up in the air.

I think if 4 gets made theyll find a way to make 5

1 minute ago, interiorgatordecorator said:

I think all of them will be made. The question is when and if Cameron will be the one directing them. Too much is at stake for them to let go, both for Disney and Cameron.

2 minutes ago, interiorgatordecorator said:

I feel like they've sunk more into four in comparison to five. It'd be easier to rewrite four to make it work as an ending.

1 hour ago, ThomasNicole said:

Not related to weekday numbers but "blue white man" is sending me 

I need to share... 

I've said it here before but Jake Sully looks like the chill-as-fuck white friend you make in uni that gets high, stays high, only talks about being high, and ends up with a six-figure job at his dads investment firm.

• Like 2
  • Haha 3

41 minutes ago, ZattMurdock said:

Yes, please.

James Cameron should start tying all his movies together. The JCCU, James Cameron Cinematic Universe. Have the Avatar peeps fight Aliens (you can have Sigourney in 2 roles!), and finish it up with them going back in time, where Jake's avatar will be swimming in the water in the Atlantic, and find Jack and save his life. They take Jack to a future. His memories are all messed up, and he's given a new identity; Kyle Reese.

• Like 1

42 minutes ago, ZattMurdock said:

It was Tim Miller. RR was given alita. 

17 minutes ago, krla said:

James Cameron should start tying all his movies together. The JCCU, James Cameron Cinematic Universe. Have the Avatar peeps fight Aliens (you can have Sigourney in 2 roles!), and finish it up with them going back in time, where Jake's avatar will be swimming in the water in the Atlantic, and find Jack and save his life. They take Jack to a future. His memories are all messed up, and he's given a new identity; Kyle Reese.

I non ironically would like that.

• Like 1