Eric S'ennui

Weekdays Thread (12/19-22) | Avatar: The Way of 14.5 | Mon 16.2, Tue 18.3, Wed 14.3, Thu 14.5| Puss 3.2 OD | Check In For Your Hourly Weather Update

Just now, Eric in Boots said:

It's been 5 years guys.

People still bitch about the prequels and the special editions after all these years.   So, you know, just gots another 20+ years of this to look forward to. 👍

• Haha 1

2 minutes ago, Eric in Boots said:

It's been 5 years guys.

feels like its been both much less and much more than that 

Edited by interiorgatordecorator
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, ZattMurdock said:

Yay

"If you want a picture of the future, imagine a boot stamping on a human face nerd bitching about the prequels – for ever."

(can now sub in TLJ and TROS — PROGRESS!!!)

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

I'll always appreciate TLJ and TROS because the ST will forever be the easiest example of how not to plan a franchise.  I mean you'd think extensively planning out a 3 trilogy arc would've been a given after the prequels but nope we're just gonna wing it the whole time and hope everything works out.  And then a few years later Amazon was all like 'hold my beer' and fucked up a huge IP even worse.

• Like 5

3 minutes ago, Ozymandias said:

I'll always appreciate TLJ and TROS because the ST will forever be the easiest example of how not to plan a franchise.  I mean you'd think extensively planning out a 3 trilogy arc would've been a given after the prequels but nope we're just gonna wing it the whole time and hope everything works out.  And then a few years later Amazon was all like 'hold my beer' and fucked up a huge IP even worse.

JJ gave them a rough sketch. The story team were just so ready to crap on JJ, who brought them the greatest possible success at the time. It must have bothered them that JJ was right about what the GE actually wanted.

Edited by BluKyberCrystal
  • Like 2

1 minute ago, BluKyberCrystal said:

JJ gave them a rough sketch. The story team were just so ready to crap on JJ, who brought them the greatest possible success at the time. It must have bothered them that JJ was right about what the GE actually wanted.

v13uz0C.gif

• Haha 1

20 minutes ago, Porthos said:

The thing is, it's not what you or I think, but what the studios thought at the time.

Even now, studios still reflexively shy away from some months for no good reason (at least IMO).  Take Labor Day Weekend.  Even after films have proved that September and October can have blockbusters succeed just as much as other months, they're shying away from Labor Day Weekend.  January is still viewed as a "dump month.

It wasn't that long ago that February was lumped in with January as  a "dump month".  Now the idea of Feb being a "dump month" is rightly seen as ridiculous.

Studios would tie themselves into logical knots searching for a "perfect" time for a type of movie without realizing that getting more of a maybe slightly lesser pie was better than everyone going after the same time period in, say, the summer.

As for the holidays?  The thinking was: Drop blockbuster movies in November so they could rake in money during Thanksgiving and then leg it out with all of the other movies in the Xmas period.  Even Avatar was pointed to as an example of (nearly-impossible-to-repeat) legs as opposed to more upfront blockbuster style frontloadedness.  

Now I will agree that if studios had been less reactionary/hidebound, they could have seen the signs for a potential breakout in December.  But it wasn't films like Avatar that pointed the way, but the LOTR films.  Even The Hobbit films proved to be something of a "Proof of Concept".

But it still was a gamble to put a 175m+ type opener (never mind 200m+ type opener) in December, as no one had attempted it before.  The closest we can point to would be RotK and its 124m 5day OW back in 2003.  But that had a long list of its own reasons why it might have been viewed as unique.

So, I will agree with you that studios shouldn't have viewed it that way... I'm just telling you they did and that once TFA showed what was possible... Well it did change studio thinking about what was possible in December for blockbusters.

Which, if one recalls, is my comment that started all of this.  

I said I would stop there, but since you wrote all that...

How do you know what studios thought at that time, were you involved in the decision process? Listen I respect your opinion, but I think it's kind of outlandish, a big reach and pure historical revisionism to insinuate Titanic and Avatar had almost no influence on the release dates of movies that followed

2 hours ago, redfirebird2008 said:

There was a major snow storm on Avatar’s 2nd weekend in 2009 and it still managed a phenomenal drop of less than 2% for the weekend. 

2 hours ago, MrPink said:

Wasn't that snow storm on opening weekend?

2 hours ago, interiorgatordecorator said:

it was the 1st weekend im pretty sure

2 hours ago, Cheddar Please said:

wasn't the snowstorm on the first week? I'm pretty sure the OW was depressed, which is why the 2nd wknd hold was so good by comparison

There were two major storms. One from December 16-20, and a second from Dec 22-28. So both the first and second weekend were impacted, as well as weekdays. There were also dozens of tornadoes.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/December_2009_North_American_blizzard

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2009_North_American_Christmas_blizzard

Just now, Alexdube said:

I said I would stop there, but since you wrote all that...

How do you know what studios thought at that time, were you involved in the decision process? Listen I respect your opinion, but I think it's kind of outlandish, a big reach and pure historical revisionism to insinuate Titanic and Avatar had almost no influence on the release dates of movies that followed

Because I can point to the type of films that were released in the time period? And those that weren't?

Proof is in the pudding, as the saying goes.