Issac Newton

Christmas Weekend Thread | Avatar 95.6m, PiB 20.05m, Babylon 4.85m 4 days

I will say this (as somebody who thought A2 was quite tremendous)….

don’t underestimate WOM from people going back to work and school after the holidays telling the fence-sitters they’ve got to see this thing. 

R1 had a ceiling, and A2 really doesn’t have that.  You don’t have to be remotely clued up on Avatar to go and see the film and wallow in the gonzo visuals. It really is a treat. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, wildphantom said:

don’t underestimate WOM from people going back to work and school after the holidays telling the fence-sitters they’ve got to see this thing. 

R1 had a ceiling, and A2 really doesn’t have that.  You don’t have to be remotely clued up on Avatar to go and see the film and wallow in the gonzo visuals. It really is a treat. 

Yeah i think it will have steady holds for the next couple of months domstic.

I'm actually more interested in the international numbers.

The first film had those incredible 6 or 7 weekends over 100mil, and while thats doubtfuil with A2 due it starting much higher, i still feel 4 100mil weekends are in the bag, maybe 5.

4 minutes ago, wildphantom said:

Love your Profile Picture Brother Wild Phantom. Rocketeer was a a little gem back in the day :)

And yes indeed. My friends and associates at work all Im hearing is man you got to see Avatar 2 in 4DX or IMax 3D.. And when I saw my 2D showing.. folks just looked in awe and lots of clapping and I could hear murmurs of woah we got to see this in 3D.

This is the kind of  WOM that cant be underestimated indeed. We may yet get that multiplier to make some very very large predictions on the domestic size be realized.

• Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, stuart360 said:

Yeah i think it will have steady holds for the next couple of months domstic.

I'm actually more interested in the international numbers.

The first film had those incredible 6 or 7 weekends over 100mil, and while thats doubtfuil with A2 due it starting much higher, i still feel 4 100mil weekends are in the bag, maybe 5.

Whats crazy is A2 despite Pandemic, Earthquakes, money woes OS.. Folks are still finding away and keep returning.

This sucker may hit 1.7- 2B OS -China... Im like  what is going on here lol 

• Like 2

1 minute ago, MovieMan89 said:

Over Titanic WW or who cares if it even hits $2 bil? I see nothing special about that mark particularly for it. 

2B with all its faced is beyond special my brother. But it would be nice to go after the Boat and  beyond...

Dont give up yet on A2 getting the domestic crown as well...  The WOM for Way of the Water is absolutely through the roof.

4 minutes ago, MovieMan89 said:

Over Titanic WW or who cares if it even hits $2 bil? I see nothing special about that mark particularly for it. 

$2B means biggest movie since the pandemic started, even more than NWH with its rerelease. Just because you dont care doesn't mean it isn't a milestone.

58 minutes ago, LinksterAC said:

Great number for Avatar as the movie nestles itself deeper into the "I have no idea where the f*** this is going" cocoon. 

Which, come to think of it, is exactly where I thought we would be. I thought even waiting for Boxing Day wouldn't be long enough to allow us to confidently project its run.

Just enjoying each day as it passes at this point.

It was a pretty boring run from opening Saturday to 2nd Saturday. It was basically tracking extremely similar to Rogue One during that time period. Christmas Sunday is the first day that wasn't a boring number in this run. It was 14.05% ahead of Rogue One on this Sunday, so let's look at some scenarios. Rogue One made $246M the rest of the way...

100% match Rogue One's remaining dailies = $508M total for Avatar 2

14.05% ahead of Rogue's remaining dailies = $542M total for Avatar 2

37.45% ahead of Rogue's remaining dailies = $600M total for Avatar 2

57.77% ahead of Rogue's remaining dailies = $650M total for Avatar 2

78.08% ahead of Rogue's remaining dailies = $700M total for Avatar 2 

2 minutes ago, Alex SciChannel said:

I'm sorry about your dad. I really hope you enjoy the film then.

1 minute ago, MrHardapple said:

Sorry to hear, mate.

Keep your head up!

Thank you both. Luckily we have a huge family, so we are all rallying around my Mum ❤️

• Like 2

Just now, redfirebird2008 said:

It was a pretty boring run from opening Saturday to 2nd Saturday. It was basically tracking extremely similar to Rogue One during that time period. Christmas Sunday is the first day that wasn't a boring number in this run. It was 14.05% ahead of Rogue One on this Sunday, so let's look at some scenarios. Rogue One made $246M the rest of the way...

100% match Rogue One's remaining dailies = $508M total for Avatar 2

14.05% ahead of Rogue's remaining dailies = $542M total for Avatar 2

37.45% ahead of Rogue's remaining dailies = $600M total for Avatar 2

57.77% ahead of Rogue's remaining dailies = $650M total for Avatar 2

78.08% ahead of Rogue's remaining dailies = $700M total for Avatar 2 

Rogue One falls off a cliff, it's not a worthy comp after the holidays are over

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Krissykins said:

Seated for Whitney with a rose wine and sour patch kids. 

My Dad passed away on Christmas Eve and he loved Whitney Houston. The past few days have been tough. 

❤️💔

I’m so sorry — deepest condolences to you and your family. 😢

• Thanks 1

8 minutes ago, Krissykins said:

Seated for Whitney with a rose wine and sour patch kids. 

My Dad passed away on Christmas Eve and he loved Whitney Houston. The past few days have been tough. 

❤️💔

Monsters Inc Hug GIF

I’d lose my mind. 🥺 I am so sorry. 

• Thanks 1