Issac Newton

Christmas Weekend Thread | Avatar 95.6m, PiB 20.05m, Babylon 4.85m 4 days

https://deadline.com/2022/12/box-office-christmas-avatar-way-of-water-babylon-puss-in-boots-the-last-wish-1235205786/

Christmas Delivers Box Office Miracle For ‘Avatar: The Way Of Water‘ Despite Winter Weather: James Cameron Sequel Headed To $95M-$96M+ 2nd Weekend

MONDAY PM: Per rival distribution sources –not Disney– Avatar: The Way of Water is +8% to +10% over Sunday’s $29.5M which means a $31.9M to $32.4M Monday which means a $95.9M to $96.4M 4-day weekend. At the high-end, that could beat Rogue One‘s 4-day second weekend of $96.1M. Sequel’s revised cume at the high end would be $294.1M.

While CNN reports that the nationwide death toll is 49 from the severe winter storm, with 27 of those from Erie County, NY, the warmest box office marketplace in the country remains…Los Angeles at 80 degrees today, but with expected rain tomorrow at 63 degrees.

• Like 9

Just now, Alex SciChannel said:

https://deadline.com/2022/12/box-office-christmas-avatar-way-of-water-babylon-puss-in-boots-the-last-wish-1235205786/

Christmas Delivers Box Office Miracle For ‘Avatar: The Way Of Water‘ Despite Winter Weather: James Cameron Sequel Headed To $95M-$96M+ 2nd Weekend

MONDAY PM: Per rival distribution sources –not Disney– Avatar: The Way of Water is +8% to +10% over Sunday’s $29.5M which means a $31.9M to $32.4M Monday which means a $95.9M to $96.4M 4-day weekend. At the high-end, that could beat Rogue One‘s 4-day second weekend of $96.1M. Sequel’s revised cume at the high end would be $294.1M.

While CNN reports that the nationwide death toll is 49 from the severe winter storm, with 27 of those from Erie County, NY, the warmest box office marketplace in the country remains…Los Angeles at 80 degrees today, but with expected rain tomorrow at 63 degrees.

Mad at no new Puss in Boots numbers 

• Like 1

Just now, redfirebird2008 said:

$32M is equal to Rogue One. 9 of the last 10 days have been eerily similar between Avatar 2 & Rogue One. Looks like the Sunday number at 14% above Rogue One might have been a temporary boost from weather problems on Thursday, Friday, & Saturday. 

Yes, i think the trend will continue until JAN 02. 

R1 was at 440M at that point, A2 will probably be at 420-430M at the same point (since i think 3rd weekend will drop way better than R1 23%). 

After that R1 have an really bad performance, nearly awful results during January. A2 is already holding better and should do even better in January by comparisson.

I think upper 500's - low 600's is a good target. 

1 minute ago, ThomasNicole said:

Yes, i think the trend will continue until JAN 02. 

R1 was at 440M at that point, A2 will probably be at 420-430M at the same point (since i think 3rd weekend will drop way better than R1 23%). 

After that R1 have an really bad performance, nearly awful results during January. A2 is already holding better and should do even better in January by comparisson.

I think upper 500's - low 600's is a good target. 

If it matches Rogue’s daily gross the rest of the way, it finishes at $508M. Will be interesting to see if it can gain some ground to get closer to $600M. 

3 minutes ago, redfirebird2008 said:

If it matches Rogue’s daily gross the rest of the way, it finishes at $508M. Will be interesting to see if it can gain some ground to get closer to $600M. 

Aren’t its legs already better? Weekend to weekend drop I mean. 

2 minutes ago, LinksterAC said:

Yes, but it started with a big disadvantage on opening Friday. It has not made up ground from opening Saturday to now. The numbers are eerily similar from opening Saturday to 2nd Monday. It is creepy how close the numbers have been for 9 of the last 10 days. 

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, LinksterAC said:

Yes, but weekdays was weaker so it's still 20M behind like it was on OW

3rd weekend should be considerably higher with 10-15% drop instead of 23% like R1, let's see if weekdays will match so it will actually gain advantage 

But i think it's inevitable, if not this week, in January when R1 have real bad numbers

Edited by ThomasNicole
  • Like 3

4 minutes ago, redfirebird2008 said:

@LinksterAC

Check out the numbers below. This excludes Opening Friday, where Rogue One had a big advantage. Avatar 2 has not really made up ground from Day 2 through Day 11. 

FrxJZbh.jpg

Great chart!

Maybe it's because of the winter weather & the smaller first day, but this just makes me feel like A2 is going to out-leg R1 by a country mile.

• Like 1