charlie Jatinder

Christmas-New Year Weekdays Thread || Avatar $20.1M THU - Top 10 DOM or Bust!

1 minute ago, The Dark Alfred said:

That's good to see that it has a chance to breat even and reach the floor it has set out.

it breaks even in probably the next few days, you didn't fall for the $2b break even meme did you? You have to be able to think critically my guy

14 minutes ago, IronJimbo said:

it breaks even in probably the next few days, you didn't fall for the $2b break even meme did you? You have to be able to think critically my guy

Are you calling James Cameron a meme? What are you talking about? It's not breaking even the next few weeks, even a diehard fan should know it. We don't actually have a clear idea on the final budget. The 2 billion is reported everywhere as a break even point. Literally every outlet from Variety, Forbes, even bloody CNN, you name it. The 2 billion is reported EVERYWHERE in the industry. Good news is, it's on the right path.

Edited by The Dark Alfred
  • Haha 1

10 hours ago, Alexdube said:

I think today could be "surprising". I don't think discount Tuesday helped Avatar that much this week, in fact it might have hurt in some places because many showings would be packed anyway without the discount. It's a holiday week, it's not going to behave like last week. And this movie plays like a family movie

I don't think 21+ is out of the question

6 hours ago, Alexdube said:

Bryan Cranston Mic Drop GIF

The 69.2-30.8% split in international vs domestic for Avatar 2 is kind of insane honestly. I could see this growing in the future, especially with a less COVID affected China in play for 3, 4, and 5.

EDIT: Just saw the split was even more intense for the first one at the end of the day. 72.7-27.3% split. I think this just shows that Avatar will first and foremost be an international franchise before anything else.

Edited by Mulder
  • Like 1

6 minutes ago, The Dark Alfred said:

Are you calling James Cameron a meme? What are you talking about? It's not breaking even the next few weeks, even a diehard fan should know it. We don't actually have a clear idea on the final budget. The 2 billion is reported everywhere as a break even point. Literally every outlet from Variety, Forbes, even bloody CNN, you name it. The 2 billion is reported EVERYWHERE in the industry. Good news is, it's on the right path.

And this is where you fail my friend.

You should take note that the mainstream media can get things wrong about things you're an expert of, so be aware this applies EVERYTHING they report on. You should be less trusting of these outlets. One of them gets it wrong and the rest don't do their own research and just report on what the first outlet said.

and no Cameron never said the budget was $2b.

Edited by IronJimbo

Dude, it's not just mainstream media, it's everywhere in the industry. Nobody said the budget was 2 billion. Cameron never committed to a number, just said it was f*kin expensive. He has the 2 billion breaking even point, he didn't say it jokingly. I trust Variety and Forbes over a BOT user's fantasy, if you don't mind, so we keep it as a reference point going forward. 

2 minutes ago, The Dark Alfred said:

Dude, it's not just mainstream media, it's everywhere in the industry. Nobody said the budget was 2 billion. Cameron never committed to a number, just said it was f*kin expensive. He has the 2 billion breaking even point, he didn't say it jokingly. I trust Variety and Forbes over a BOT user's fantasy, if you don't mind, so we keep it as a reference point going forward. 

I never asked you to trust me.

Go find the original quote and see what it says :) You'll see why you shouldn't trust them. Everyone thinks they wouldn't be the one to fall for Propaganda...

Edited by IronJimbo
  • Thanks 1

Just now, The Dark Alfred said:

The 2 billion breaking point was never referred to and media just misunderstood (on purpose or not it's not for me to say) and spread it like wildfire, so much so he had to come out and explicitly say it wasn't 2 billion recently. Just drop it already.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, The Dark Alfred said:

what about the man himself?

https://www.reddit.com/link/zx21sj/video/o5vgj58lxk8a1/player?utm_source=reddit&utm_medium=usertext&utm_name=boxoffice&utm_content=t3_zx21sj

Edited by Alexdube
  • Like 1

Just now, CJohn said:

I am not sure why James Cameron decided to walk around in interviews saying the movie needed 2B to break even. Its dumb. If it does like 1.9B it will be seen as a flop.

is this advanced trolling? very good bait

It's not misunderstood. I'm not going to drop stuff that journalist say who does reporting for a living. There is no exact number on the budget. Please give me the source where Cameron clarified it. Saying that it's breaking even the new few days is clearly delusional and incorrect.

Latest from Variety: "“Avatar 2” looks to stay strong into the new year, which is necessary to justify its massive price tag. Cameron estimated the $350 million-budgeted movie (not including at least $100 million in marketing fees) needs to generate roughly $2 billion to break even, though analysts believe the threshold to profitability is probably closer to $1.5 billion."

I agree, the real break-even point is probably closer to 1.5 billion then to 2 billion. It's tough to know how much marketing they spent. It will break even either way, will hit 2 billion.

Edited by The Dark Alfred
  • ...wtf 2

Just now, The Dark Alfred said:

It's not misunderstood. I'm not going to drop stuff that journalist say who does reporting for a living. There is no exact number on the budget. Please give me the source where Cameron clarified it. Saying that it's breaking even the new few days is clearly delusional and incorrect.

Latest from Variety: "“Avatar 2” looks to stay strong into the new year, which is necessary to justify its massive price tag. Cameron estimated the $350 million-budgeted movie (not including at least $100 million in marketing fees) needs to generate roughly $2 billion to break even, though analysts believe the threshold to profitability is probably closer to $1.5 billion."

I agree, the real break-even point is probably closer to 1.5 billion then to 2 billion. It's tough to know how much marketing they spent.

Fine I'll do it.

The original article that started the $2b misinformation.

https://variety.com/2022/film/news/avatar-2-budget-expensive-2-billion-turn-profit-1235438907/

“Very fucking [expensive].”

Cameron apparently told Disney and 20th Century Studios executives that his sequel budget was so high it represented “the worst business case in movie history.” According to the director’s estimates, “you have to be the third or fourth highest-grossing film in history. That’s your threshold. That’s your break even.”

The above is what Jim said, not to them but to GQ, that variety quoted in their article and they extrapolated to mean the break-even is 2 billion dollars.

So first Jim never gave a concrete number, that's the first point.

Second point, Jim is talking about a business case he had. A business case for Avatar 2 to get greenlit. That's over 10 years ago. The highest grossing films back then looked a little different.

Variety dropped the ball on this one, probably because they weren't the ones interviewing Jim so they minderstud. Terrible reporting honestly.

• Like 6
  • Thanks 3