CJohn

M3GAN W33K3ND THR3AD | ACTUALS - DADDY CAM3RON'S MAGNUM OPUS 45.8M | DOCUM3NTARY ABOUT KILL3R DOLL 30.4M | ORANG3 PANTH3R 13.5M

5 minutes ago, ThomasNicole said:

Very good for all M3GAN, A2 and PIB 

January started out very strong, hoping this energy lasts the whole year

Most people (myself as well) see the 2023 movie slate overall as weaker on paper than last year but i also hope that maybe we can have more unexpected breakouts this year so that theatrical recovery to a somehwhat similar pre-Covid level might not be a totally false hope.

• Like 1

Still pissed that UNI continues dropping their movies on PVOD so early even when it's a leggy one

I'm going to theaters for PIB in a few hours because the movie just released here in Brazil, but it's really a letdown going while i know i can watch it for free in 15 minutes if i want 

In countries like BR, the performance will be hurted by piracy 

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, harry713 said:

What Sat jump are we looking at realistically? 40%? That would put Sat at $16m.

A 50% bump would put it at 17.1m and it would need an 11.5m Sun to get to 40m. Achievable? 

Sat imo wont go lower than a mid 50s % jump. Avatar 2 is behaving like a family movie and thos have big Sat jumps. Avatar 1 jumped 60% and thats where i see it, meaning 18M for Sat seems realistic to me.

40M for the weekend should be locked at this point.

Edited by Brainbug
  • Heart 1

29 minutes ago, Alexdube said:

I don't care what's happening in the weekend, Avatar will outperform Passengers every single time in the weekend relative to the weekdays because of its longer running time and because it targets the family demographic

I didn't say otherwise?

Frankly, once we get to Mon/Tue/Wed of this week, and certainly next weekend, we can stop worrying about comps altogether and start using Avatwo itself as the baseline. The rollercoaster of the holidays just made that impossible, so we had to rely on comps to get us to this point

• Like 2

Deadline Hollywood

1.) Avatar 2 (Dis) 4,340 theaters Fri $11.4M (-54%) 3-day $38M-$43M (-36% to 44%), Total $514.7M (on the high end)/Wk 4

2.) M3GAN (Uni) 3,509 theaters, Fri $11.7M, 3-day $27.5M/Wk 1

3.) Puss in Boots: The Last Wish (Uni/Ill) 3,919 (-202) theaters, Fri $3.3M (-49%), 3-day $12.4M (-26%), Total $87M/Wk 3

4.) A Man Called Otto (Sony) 637 (+633) theaters, Fri $1.5M 3-day $3.68M/

total $3.76M/Wk 2

5.) Wakanda Forever (Dis) 2,255 (-55) theaters, Fri $968K (-50%) 3-day $3M (-41%), Total $445M/Wk 9

it has to outperform TFA's remaining run by about 40%. It's only beating it by about 10% the past few days. TFA's drops are harsher starting week 6. So it's really gonna depend on late legs. It's gonna be very close ill give it a 35% for now. 

6 minutes ago, Cheddar Please said:

What's the reasonable probability of it going over 700m at this point, and what would be a reasonable range to project?

Being generous given Cameron's track record, I'd say sub-20% at this point.

Seems to be heading towards a mid-to-high $600m range.

• Like 3