CJohn

M3GAN W33K3ND THR3AD | ACTUALS - DADDY CAM3RON'S MAGNUM OPUS 45.8M | DOCUM3NTARY ABOUT KILL3R DOLL 30.4M | ORANG3 PANTH3R 13.5M

2 minutes ago, interiorgatordecorator said:

bit worried about the fact that they might be way too many blockbusters, could see them hurting each other which could end up resulting in many good runs, but no great ones

Same old story like before covid. But….I’d rather we get loads of big hits than just a few that run away with the whole summer. Much healthier for the business in general if that’s the case. 

We’ll all have our favourites we’re rooting for this summer to crush others, but I really do hope everybody does well this year. 

• Like 2

Just now, interiorgatordecorator said:

bit worried about the fact that they might be way too many blockbusters, could see them hurting each other ending up with many good runs, but no great ones

It's kind of nuts how packed summer is while fall through the holidays are still rather empty-looking (although there's still a bunch of movies that will be ready for this year that are likely to be dated). June in particular looks like a bloodbath, I'd move Transformers to late September since that already feels like a nonevent that could use a clear schedule as is.

• Like 1

47 minutes ago, hw64 said:

Yeah I'm also incredibly dubious of the claim that it's harder to retain volume from a lower level of gross than it is is from a far higher one. Conventional wisdom says it's the complete opposite, and even without doing any number crunching there are far more examples of recent movies with lower grosses having huge multipliers/legs than there are examples of $100m openers with the same kinds of multipliers.

You could make the argument that a lower gross makes it a bit harder to spread word of mouth, but that completely pales in comparison to how naturally more difficult it is to retain gross from an $100m+ starting point than it is from, say, a $10m starting point — like it's not even close. Look at what Puss is doing right with relative ease, for example — that's completely unreplicable for an $100m+ opener.

I'm interested to know where you're coming from here, but to me that assertion is categorically and demonstrably false.

The biggest hurdle to long term grossing potential is the cannibalistic nature of the market: the loss of screens/shows/theaters 

Basic principle to deciding what gets cut is how much will this title make next week. How much or how little it made in total before has little bearing, it’s all about the velocity, current gross (PTA, really) & drop rate. By this post-NY week, Avatar was a $70M title dropping 27%, Showman was $20/-33%. By week 8, it was $31/-26% vs $10.5/-18%

The lower grossing titles are always going to be closer to the cut line, and so have to hold better over the long term to maintain volume and match legs 

38 minutes ago, filmlover said:

It's kind of nuts how packed summer is while fall through the holidays are still rather empty-looking (although there's still a bunch of movies that will be ready for this year that are likely to be dated). June in particular looks like a bloodbath, I'd move Transformers to late September since that already feels like a nonevent that could use a clear schedule as is.

Here are some that still need to be dated acording to Discussing Film. Some are streaming titles, I believe.

Argylle
Beau Is Afraid
Boston Strangler
Chicken Run 2
Crater
Coyote vs. Acme
Cuckoo
Damsel
Extraction 2
Ghosted
Havoc
Heart of Stone
Killers of the Flower Moon
Lift
Napoleon
Nimona
Nightbitch
Pain Hustlers
Peter Pan & Wendy
Poor Things
Rebel Moon Part 1
Red One
Road House
Saltburn
Spaceman
Disney+ Stan Lee Documentary
Tetris
The Killer
They Cloned Tyrone
The Old Guard 2
Unfrosted
White Men Can’t Jump Reboot

1 hour ago, Menor Reborn said:

I agree that the extended cut is better. I don't think it needs to make the movie good though, because the movie is already good.

No lies detected. Its a rarity to find a post in the internet that is 100% built with the pure truth.

• Like 1

Brainbug dont hate me for this post -

Its crazy really after what some people thought was a bit of a underwhelming and dissapointing 483mil WW OW for A2, after this 4th weekend its going to knock Jurassic World off the 7th spot on the 'Biggest movie of all time' WW list.

• Sad 1

56 minutes ago, wildphantom said:

Cocaine Bear is going to surprise. I’ve heard lots of good stuff about that Renfield trailer too. Need to check it out. 

16 minutes ago, kayumanggi said:

And maybe KNOCK AT THE CABIN too.

Im optimistic about all three. Cocaine Bear on paper looks like something that should have an 8M OW, but the trailer is very funny and sells the bizarre premise quite well imo. Trailer views are also not bad.

Renfield sells itself with Nic Cage as Dracula. That is like a must-see for everyone who likes movies and has good taste.

Knock at the Cabin also has just a very solid premise/concept and M. Night - whatever one can say about him - is one of the few directors who has a crowd out there who will come out in good enough numbers so that his films are at least profitable.

And btw, all of those are Universal films. I know its kind of silly to have a favourite Movie Studio, but Universal seems to have find a winning formula with quirky, outlandish-seeming movies that still work. Props to them in that regard.

• Like 3

1 minute ago, stuart360 said:

Its crazy really after what some people thought was a bit of a underwhelming and dissapointing 483mil WW OW for A2, after this 4th weekend its going to knock Jurassic World off the 7th spot on the 'Biggest movie of all time' WW list.

It was good while it lasted.

I find solace in the fact that A2 wont reach the 653M DOM cume of JW :) Im sure of that!

• Haha 5
  • Knock It Off 1

6 minutes ago, stuart360 said:

27 days. Same amount of time NWH needed to cross $1.5B.

26 minutes ago, kayumanggi said:

Here are some that still need to be dated acording to Discussing Film. Some are streaming titles, I believe.

Argylle
Beau Is Afraid
Boston Strangler
Chicken Run 2
Crater
Coyote vs. Acme
Cuckoo
Damsel
Extraction 2
Ghosted
Havoc
Heart of Stone
Killers of the Flower Moon
Lift
Napoleon
Nimona
Nightbitch
Pain Hustlers
Peter Pan & Wendy
Poor Things
Rebel Moon Part 1
Red One
Road House
Saltburn
Spaceman
Disney+ Stan Lee Documentary
Tetris
The Killer
They Cloned Tyrone
The Old Guard 2
Unfrosted
White Men Can’t Jump Reboot

A number of these are Netflix titles that will receive a token "one week in select theaters" run (if they're lucky). Killers of the Flower Moon is going to be a Paramount release that will play only in theaters for 2-3 months before becoming available on Apple's streaming service so imagine that's gonna end up dated for December.

• Like 1