CJohn

M3GAN W33K3ND THR3AD | ACTUALS - DADDY CAM3RON'S MAGNUM OPUS 45.8M | DOCUM3NTARY ABOUT KILL3R DOLL 30.4M | ORANG3 PANTH3R 13.5M

5 minutes ago, Alex SciChannel said:

Because they're not trying to be Disney/Pixar by using their movies as tech demos to show how "realistic" they look. That look just gets boring and if I wanted to see something realistic I'd see live action. Utilizing animation to its fullest extent doesn't necessarily entail going over budget. Just being creative.

$80m is still incredibly low for any kind of major studio animation and would have taken a lot of talent on the animators’ part to not have it look “cheap.” Again, props to them, that wasn’t much to work with. 

13 minutes ago, MovieMan89 said:

The PiB budget reports look to be a measly $80-100m? Combine that with the dire state of animation at the box office post-pandemic, and this is a huge win. Major props to DWA for managing to keep the budget so low and not have it look like garbage. 

I wouldn’t say “huge win” if it’s going to end up doing only half of what the first film did 11 years ago. It’s at $197m and cost $100m before P&A. 

It’s doing well considering how animation has been performing lately, but “huge win” seems like a stretch. 

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, MikeQ said:

All credit goes to the terrific @XXR the Conqueror for compiling these lists. I've just updated them with the numbers from this week:

Days Over 20M

The Force Awakens — 17

Spider-Man: No Way Home — 14 

Avengers: Endgame — 11 

Infinity War — 9 

Black Panther — 9 

Jurassic World — 9 
Top Gun: Maverick — 8 

Days Over 10M

The Force Awakens — 21 

Top Gun: Maverick — 20 

Spider-Man: No Way Home — 18 

Black Panther — 18 

Avengers: Endgame — 16 

Jurassic World — 16 

Avengers: Infinity War — 15 

Peace,

Mike

these are the kinda stats that make me feel avatar 2 will 100% reach $700m. There are many stats like this where all the movies around it made $700+ so it just makes me more and more confident it will reach that mark esp with these good legs. 

2 minutes ago, Krissykins said:

I wouldn’t say “huge win” if it’s going to end up doing only half of what the first film did 11 years ago. It’s at $197m and cost $100m before P&A. 

It’s doing well considering how animation has been performing lately, but “huge win” seems like a stretch. 

I can’t imagine $250m WW isn’t the floor? That should easily be clearing a nice profit for them from box office alone, and what other major animated film not named Minions can say that this decade? I’d call it a pretty big win in context. 

15 minutes ago, lab276 said:

2013 being ten years ago :apocalypse:

And even at the time, I think that was considered a sort of lacklustre start to the year.

I think we are now in an era when individual movies will still do big numbers but the box office as a whole is smaller than years past. There's no depth at all.

• Like 1
  • Sad 2

2 minutes ago, MovieMan89 said:

$80m is still incredibly low for any kind of major studio animation and would have taken a lot of talent on the animators’ part to not have it look “cheap.” Again, props to them, that wasn’t much to work with. 

DreamWorks has had to cut corners ever since they've lost most of their industry power over the past decade or so (all the powerful folks from their heyday are no longer there and have been replaced mostly with "yes" folks through the Universal acquisition) and are now second banana to Illumination as Universal's primary animation studio, so they have no choice but to work with whatever resources they have to deliver satisfying-looking product.

• Like 4

8 minutes ago, lab276 said:

2013 being ten years ago :apocalypse:

And even at the time, I think that was considered a sort of lacklustre start to the year.

A Texas Chainsaw movie in 3D couldn't match the illustrious heights of The Devil Inside the year before-talk about a one weekend wonder...

• Like 1

49 minutes ago, M37 said:

It’s not quite the proof people think it is though. Both Venom 2 and SC made $109M in the first week, and the latter only finished $11M ahead despite Vernon losing PLFs in week 2 and facing a major release 3 weeks in a row 

The problem with a LD release isn’t nabbing a strong opening, it’s the much weaker September and October that follows it. It’s giving up 10-20% of potential and hoping to gain some of that back with strong WOM, being a big fish in a smaller pond

Venom caught up by suddenly having ridiculous holds after Halloween Kills with Eternals barely making a dent on it. Shang-Chi had a sizable weekly lead until week 5 when Venom itself crippled it. Venom ended only $11m behind SC despite being $15m+ behind all the way to week 7.

I just think Transformers is going to be lost in the shuffle where it currently is given there's at least three other releases the same month that are looking to perform better and suck up all the attention. Even if Labor Day would have its limitations, being the center of attention is surely better than being the fourth option in a crowded frame?

Edited by cookie

5 minutes ago, Cheddar Please said:

what could those be? :sparta:

I'd love to explain it but the math is so advanced that simply reading it would cause a singularity in your mind that turns your body into a blackhole. I don't wanna do that to you. 

• Haha 1
  • Astonished 1

5 minutes ago, filmlover said:

DreamWorks has had to cut corners ever since they've lost most of their industry power over the past decade or so (all the powerful folks from their heyday are no longer there and have been replaced mostly with "yes" folks through the Universal acquisition) and are now second banana to Illumination as Universal's primary animation studio, so they have no choice but to work with whatever resources they have to deliver satisfying-looking product.

Honestly, that may be the future of all the studios except Illumination if things don’t turn around soon for animation. I am confident in Mario being an absolute box office juggernaut this year, but again that’s Illumination, so my point still stands. 

6 minutes ago, Legion in Boots said:

When the #2 movie of this holiday season opened at 12.43M, it was 2nd for the weekend. When RIPD opened with 12.69M it was 7th for the weekend. The 6th place movie was ~22M adjusted.

Yep, the box office is still far away from pre-pandemic levels. 2023 will hopefully be a year of further recovery, but i think we can only expect a full recovery sometime in 2024, possibly 2025.

And maybe that is too optimistic, as it could be possible that even if the box office recovers to a certain point, it will never again reach pre-pandemic levels and instead we have a smaller market overall for the foreesable future.

Edited by Brainbug
  • Like 1

6 minutes ago, BoxOfficeFangrl said:

A Texas Chainsaw movie in 3D couldn't match the illustrious heights of The Devil Inside the year before-talk about a one weekend wonder...

The Devil Inside is so entertaining to examine from a box office perspective. 🤣 Just looked at it the other day and it was unbelievable how it cratered. I don't think any weekend dropped under 65%. And that first Sunday drop of -55.9%!! 😲 I was reading about the boos at the New York press screening too. The ending will do that I guess.

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, XXR the Conqueror said:

I've done advanced calculations that tell me A2 will make another $223M DOM after this weekend.

if this is the number I think it is, when the actuals for this weekend come in 1.01-2m higher it won't be the number you hoped anymore

8 minutes ago, MovieMan89 said:

Honestly, that may be the future of all the studios except Illumination if things don’t turn around soon for animation. I am confident in Mario being an absolute box office juggernaut this year, but again that’s Illumination, so my point still stands. 

Have you posted this before? I just got major deja vu reading this....

4 minutes ago, Brainbug said:

Yep, the box office is still far away from pre-pandemic levels. 2023 will hopefully be a year of further recovery, but i think we can only expect a full recovery sometime in 2024, possibly 2025.

And maybe that is too optimistic, as it could be possible that even if the box office recovers to a certain point, it will never again reach pre-pandemic levels and instead we have a smaller market overall for the foreesable future.

Do you think studios will be distributing a full, healthy slate of films by the? That's the key I think. We need Warner Bros. to figure their shit out and for Disney to do more with Fox.