CJohn

M3GAN W33K3ND THR3AD | ACTUALS - DADDY CAM3RON'S MAGNUM OPUS 45.8M | DOCUM3NTARY ABOUT KILL3R DOLL 30.4M | ORANG3 PANTH3R 13.5M

1 minute ago, Cheddar Please said:

Imagine the reaction if this films final ends up being between 700-717m DOM lol

I'd be content with that, over $700M is a great threshold to pass (I genuinely did not believe in this anymore after that first Monday number). But if TGM does manage to keep that hard earned domestic yearly crown? Sounds alright with me.

• Like 4

Just now, stuart360 said:

Its 3 times this weekend.

You have to take the weekend numbers into consideration too. Before the weekend, A2 needed 181M to beat JW. 181/45 = 4x. Just like OW, for instance,  a movie making 100M total from a 50M OW has 100/50 = 2x. It's (total - pre weekend gross)/weekend number for legs, atleast that's the metric I use. 

Just now, NCsoft said:

I'd be content with that, over $700M is a great threshold to pass (I genuinely did not believe in this anymore after that first Monday number). But if TGM does manage to keep that hard earned domestic yearly crown? Sounds alright with me.

Spoiler

My preferred outcome lol

5 minutes ago, Cheddar Please said:

Imagine the reaction if this films final ends up being between 700-717m DOM lol

In all seriousness, they will 100% re-release/expand later this year to get it over if that happens lol. They already did that with A1 anyways around that Labor Day I think. 

6 minutes ago, CaptNathanBrittles said:

The first AVATAR's 6th international weekend was $107m, a 14% decrease from its 5th.

This was greatly helped by China. AVATAR's 6th overseas weekend was just its 3rd in China.

• Like 1

Deadline:

The international session delivered $132.6M in 52 markets for an estimated overseas running total of $1,191.3M. The weekend haul repped a 30% drop from last frame, but a significant number of markets saw increases including Brazil (+83%), Spain (+53%) and Germany (+4%).

Edited by kayumanggi
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, stuart360 said:

I'm sure some would be happy, but it would be weak happiness when WW A2 will be upwards of a billion ahead.

I feel like one can be happy about both films doing well at the box office lol, it's just good for the industry (and our entertainment)

1 minute ago, John Marston said:

moviegoing has returned. Just because boring movies like The Fabelmans are flopping doesn't mean there is any "hesitancy"

I suspect it's because people save up their dough to see big movies in theaters, rather than small ones. 

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, TwoMisfits said:

Ummm, I take it you haven't followed box office much...

Jumanji Welcome to the Jungle had its 4th weekend (which happened to be this exact one) outgross its 1st one...

(Yes, they did declare their opening early sneaks as their own weekend:)...

I guess I just haven't followed box office much...

jonah-hill-jason-segel.gif

Edited by Moviedweeb

12 minutes ago, stuart360 said:

I'm sure some would be happy, but it would be weak happiness when WW A2 will be upwards of a billion ahead.

There's no need for this fanboy nonsense of trying to diminish the achievements of other movies to prop up Avatar 2. Top Gun's domestic success is no less impressive or relevant than Avatar 2's international success, and there'll be a good argument to be made that Maverick's overall run was more impressive than Avatar 2's given the context behind the two runs (higher ticket prices for Avatar 2, holiday vs. summer release, no competition vs. heavy competition, Avatar 2 having far higher pre-ordained levels of likely success as the sequel to the highest-grossing movie of all time, etc.)

Edited by hw64
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 3

2 minutes ago, hw64 said:

There's no need for this fanboy nonsense of trying to diminish the achievements of other movies to prop up Avatar 2. Top Gun's domestic success is no less impressive or relevant than Avatar 2's international success, and there'll be a good argument to be made that Maverick's overall run was more impressive than Avatar 2's given the context behind the two runs.

Someone pin this please, this is what I've been trying to get at this entire time lol

• Like 1

1 minute ago, hw64 said:

There's no need to try to diminish the success of other movies to prop up Avatar 2. Top Gun's domestic success is no less impressive or relevant than Avatar 2's international success, and there'll be a good argument to be made that Maverick's overall run was more impressive than Avatar 2's given the context behind each movie's run.

I'm not diminishing anything, in fact i was replying to someone else who started it.

And yes i think if TGM and A2 grossed the same in the US, TGM would be more impressive due to the lack of 3D premium.

I'm just saying the US is one market, the world is the world.

1 hour ago, druv10 said:

Avatar is up to 3.85 multi, already. 5 multi is happening! We can finally put to bed that WOM isn't great, nonsense. 

WOM is/is not helping the film so much as an absolute lack of competition. Only two films released during its first month will finish above $50M. That’s a pathetic lack of competition during the holidays so the main film is able to maintain screens and suck up all sorts of business as there are no other options.

• Like 1
  • ...wtf 1

3 minutes ago, Cmasterclay said:

So A Man Called Otto gonna do 30m? More than Babylon and Fablemans combined potentially?

I could see it becoming a mini-The Upside and legging it out to $50-60M when it goes wide next weekend tbh.