CJohn

M3GAN W33K3ND THR3AD | ACTUALS - DADDY CAM3RON'S MAGNUM OPUS 45.8M | DOCUM3NTARY ABOUT KILL3R DOLL 30.4M | ORANG3 PANTH3R 13.5M

1 minute ago, cookie said:

How can something be the exception if it was literally the first time anyone tried to put a major tentpole there?

Shang-Chi is the proof that it works. Not the exception.

I meant the exception as in studios actually making something out of that date (due to the still uneven state of the world at the time). I feel like if studios truly valued that weekend they would've planted another tentpole on it last year. Equalizer 3 should do fine at least, or at least will hopefully encourage studios put something genre-y that will sell on that weekend instead of the usual dumps, but it's not the kind of movie where its success would distract from the film festivals/official commencement of awards season that usually happens around that time.

5 minutes ago, cookie said:

How can something be the exception if it was literally the first time anyone tried to put a major tentpole there?

Shang-Chi is the proof that it works. Not the exception.

It’s not quite the proof people think it is though. Both Venom 2 and SC made $109M in the first week, and the latter only finished $11M ahead despite Vernon losing PLFs in week 2 and facing a major release 3 weeks in a row 

The problem with a LD release isn’t nabbing a strong opening, it’s the much weaker September and October that follows it. It’s giving up 10-20% of potential and hoping to gain some of that back with strong WOM, being a big fish in a smaller pond

40 minutes ago, LonePirate said:

WOM is/is not helping the film so much as an absolute lack of competition. Only two films released during its first month will finish above $50M. That’s a pathetic lack of competition during the holidays so the main film is able to maintain screens and suck up all sorts of business as there are no other options.

Then why Bullet Train barely broke even? Empty market doesn't mean people will flock to see anything, including something they have no interest in watching, we've gone through that many times.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Alex SciChannel said:

The fuck is this?

Whats missing in the article i think is a bit of context. The first Puss in Boots released when Shrek was still one of the big animated franchises, while Puss in Boots 2 aims to revive that franchise for a newer generation. So lesser totals should have always been the expectation. I think the article is just focusing on direct comparisons without factoring in non-box office related circumstances.

What can I say that hasn’t been said. Fantastic weekend for Way of Water. This is an exceptionally strong post-holiday weekend drop. It’s going to play as a strong weekend movie, if that 80% Saturday increase is any indication.

Post Holidays Weekend Drops

Avatar: The Way of Water: -33.2%

Aquaman: -40.5%

Spider-Man: No Way Home: -41.8%

The Hobbit: An Unexpected Journey: -45%

Star Wars: Episode IV - The Rise of Skywalker -52.3%

Star Wars: Episode VII - The Force Awakens: -53.1%

Star Wars: Episode VIII - The Last Jedi: -54.8%

Rogue One: A Star Wars Story: -55.5%

With this drop, I’m really curious to see how Way of Water legs out from here. Already it has jumped to the top 10 multipliers of all time for $70+ million openers, with a 3.85 multiplier. It will easily glide past a 4 multiplier next week.

Best Multipliers Ever for $70+ Million Opening Films (Friday Openers):

1. Avatar (2009) — 77.0 million (9.73)
  2. Top Gun: Maverick (2022) — 126.7 million (5.67)
  3. Finding Nemo (2003) — 70.3 million (4.84)
  4. Zootopia (2016) — 75.1 million (4.55)
  5. Wonder Woman (2017) — 103.3 million (4.00)
  6. Inside Out (2015) — 90.4 million (3.94)
  7. American Sniper (2015) — 89.3 million (3.92)
  8. Aladdin (2019) — 91.5 million (3.89)
  9. Avatar: The Way of Water (2022) — 134.1 million (3.85)^
  10. Star Wars: The Force Awakens (2015) — 248.0 million (3.78)
  11. Toy Story 3 (2010) — 110.3 million (3.76)
  12. The Incredibles (2004) — 70.5 million (3.71)
  13. Despicable Me 3 (2017) — 72.4 million (3.65)
  14. Finding Dory (2016) — 135.1 million (3.60)
  15. Toy Story 4 (2019) — 120.9 million (3.59)
  16. The Hobbit: An Unexpected Journey (2012) — 84.6 million (3.58)
  17. The Secret Life of Pets (2016) — 104.4 million (3.53)
  18. The Jungle Book (2016) — 103.3 million (3.53)
  19. Guardians of the Galaxy (2014) — 94.3 million (3.53)
  20. Harry Potter and the Sorceror’s Stone (2001) — 90.3 million (3.52)

Next weekend is a long weekend (MLK day), and it looks pretty smooth sailing for several weekends beyond that.

The original Avatar dropped 15% into its MLK weekend. Can Way of Water drop 20% or better, looking at a ~$35+ million weekend? If so, this would be another great sign for late legs. Not sure if it can quite achieve that, but it will drop well nonetheless. It needs a 30% drop or better on MLK weekend to have the second best fifth weekend ever (just ahead of the behemoth that is Titanic, which hit exactly $30M on it’s fifth weekend).

And with M3gan opening so well, and both Puss in Boots and Wakanda Forever legging nicely, really fun stuff all around!

Peace,

Mike

• Like 10
  • Thanks 1

"In Argentina, the sequel purred with the most admissions for the weekend, but came in No. 2 as Avatar has a much higher average ticket price due to premium formats. "

https://deadline.com/2023/01/avatar-the-way-of-water-fourth-weekend-milestones-puss-in-boots-megan-china-global-international-box-office-1235214135/

Avatar 2 doing better than nwh day to day, its 4th weekend was 32 million vs 46 million

After its 4th weekend nwh did another 136 million

I feel 650 million is not that far away from being "locked"

56 minutes ago, Cmasterclay said:

So A Man Called Otto gonna do 30m? More than Babylon and Fablemans combined potentially?

A Man Called Otto has a much easier/more relatable premise to general audiences vs The Fabelmans or Babylon, and the ads/trailers did a much better job in selling it. As for miscasting, if people could tolerate what Hanks did in Elvis, then seeing him play a regular old grump is nothing.

1 minute ago, interiorgatordecorator said:

Avatar 2 doing better than nwh day to day, its 4th weekend was 32 million vs 46 million

After its 4th weekend nwh did another 136 million

I feel 650 million is not that far away from being "locked"

We're going over TFA

• Haha 2

1 hour ago, BoxOfficeFangrl said:

Even this weekend that's so much bigger than expected, not every Top 10 title cleared $1 million (a regular occurrence these days). This weekend 10 years ago, every single movie in the Top 10 had made at least $4 million and the entire Top 20 was over $1 million each.

2013 being ten years ago :apocalypse:

And even at the time, I think that was considered a sort of lacklustre start to the year.

5 minutes ago, MovieMan89 said:

The PiB budget reports look to be a measly $80-100m? Combine that with the dire state of animation at the box office post-pandemic, and this is a huge win. Major props to DWA for managing to keep the budget so low and not have it look like garbage. 

Because they're not trying to be Disney/Pixar by using their movies as tech demos to show how "realistic" they look. That look just gets boring and if I wanted to see something realistic I'd see live action. Utilizing animation to its fullest extent doesn't necessarily entail going over budget. Just being creative.

Edited by Alex SciChannel

All credit goes to the terrific @XXR the Conqueror for compiling these lists. I've just updated them with the numbers from this week:

Days Over 20M

The Force Awakens — 17

Spider-Man: No Way Home — 14 

Avengers: Endgame — 11 

Infinity War — 9 

Black Panther — 9 

Jurassic World — 9 
Top Gun: Maverick — 8 

Days Over 10M

The Force Awakens — 21 

Top Gun: Maverick — 20 

Spider-Man: No Way Home — 18