CJohn

M3GAN W33K3ND THR3AD | ACTUALS - DADDY CAM3RON'S MAGNUM OPUS 45.8M | DOCUM3NTARY ABOUT KILL3R DOLL 30.4M | ORANG3 PANTH3R 13.5M

Finally saw Puss In Boots 2

DISSAPOINTING

Thats the first thing that comes to my mind when it comes to that movie, but despite that I really really enjoyed it, and because of its mostly amazing humor I was entertained through

Did not live up to its amazing first half (before the forrest). The opening section was just absolutely wonderful, and from them on the movie was planting the narrative seeds for something truly great, all of filled with amazing character writing for Puss and some truly memorable jokes. Its in the forrest, where the payoffs are suppossed to happen, that the movies stops trying to be great. From that point on, outside of one super scene (you all know the one) and constant barrage of great jokes, the movie took no real risks and rushed to a pretty standard and predictable ending. Particularily egerious is how much they rush Puss's character arc. Im not going to pretend I didnt have a great time (I was laughing through after all), but I just expected the second half (still good though) to be as confident as the awesome first

8.1/10

Edited by interiorgatordecorator

9 minutes ago, lilmac said:

“Sources have told Variety that “Avatar: The Way of Water’s” break-even point was set at roughly $1.4 billion, a figure the movie has already crossed”

@Barnack - can we backtrack that into a total production cost number. $700m perhaps. 

https://variety.com/2023/film/news/james-cameron-avatar-2-turn-profit-box-office-1235480925/

Without knowing the specific share agreement for the first couple of weeks that Disney had with exhibitors, I’d say that would be a good guess. 

$700 million sounds like an incredible number for a production budget until you account for the extended development cost of the film as well as the technology innovation costs, in addition to the actual production and marketing costs.

3 minutes ago, corngrower87 said:

Without knowing the specific share agreement for the first couple of weeks that Disney had with exhibitors, I’d say that would be a good guess. 

$700 million sounds like an incredible number for a production budget until you account for the extended development cost of the film as well as the technology innovation costs, in addition to the actual production and marketing costs.

Also depends on if they are counting the marketing budget into that break even point, which they might be

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Alexdube said:

For a sequel and for the kind of opening it had, the legs are simply exceptional

Not really? Definitely Good. Arguably great. No need to go into hyperbole though

52 minutes ago, Legion in Boots said:

Right here? 5x is in the normal range for xmas blockbusters, it just succeeded in escaping low end of normal

If it´s so normal then why it will ended up being the 2nd best legs ever for a +100M OW

It´s normal for lower opening weekends, not for 135M debuts which almost always leads to average legs, even on christmas 

• Like 10

8 minutes ago, ThomasNicole said:

If it´s so normal then why it will ended up being the 2nd best legs ever for a +100M OW

It´s normal for lower opening weekends, not for 135M debuts which almost always leads to average legs, even on christmas 

Because it's the only 100+ Xmas outside of specifically front loaded  marvel and SW 

1 hour ago, Legion in Boots said:

Right here? 5x is in the normal range for xmas blockbusters, it just succeeded in escaping low end of normal

Eh if the next highest opening for a holiday blockbuster to achieve that multiplier is like only a bit more than half of what this one opened with I'd say it's pretty noteworthy.