CJohn

M3GAN W33K3ND THR3AD | ACTUALS - DADDY CAM3RON'S MAGNUM OPUS 45.8M | DOCUM3NTARY ABOUT KILL3R DOLL 30.4M | ORANG3 PANTH3R 13.5M

21 minutes ago, Brainbug said:

It was good while it lasted.

I find solace in the fact that A2 wont reach the 653M DOM cume of JW :) Im sure of that!

That hope will be quashed by next weekend for sure. its a holiday MLK weekend FYI. It will look obvious at that point.  Late legs for movies are always under predicted. This will have a long run and I am sure JC will put out a director's cut at some point. I am sure Jimbo and ilk will be salivating at the option of seeing a 4 hour Jumbo cut for sure :-)

3 minutes ago, keysersoze123 said:

I am feeling good about A2 today > A2 last saturday. That is not an outrageous performance considering last saturday was down day. Question is how much higher can it go? We will only know tonight. 

$20M+ possible ?

3 minutes ago, Valonqar said:

So TGM stays 2022 dom champ and wins Best Picture, Avatar takes OS and WW crown. Correct?

ah ah not so fast there friend

A2 is about to beat TGM's fathers day inflated 4th weekend.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, IronJimbo said:

ah ah not so fast there friend

A2 is about to beat TGM's fathers day inflated 4th weekend.

That was against $109m worth of competition in the top 2 though and losing all the PLF’s to Jurassic World. 

Way of Water didn’t lose a noteable amount of PLF’s to M3gan. 

Makes M3gan’s opening all the more impressive. 

• Thanks 1

13 minutes ago, Valonqar said:

So TGM stays 2022 dom champ and wins Best Picture, Avatar takes OS and WW crown. Correct?

TGM winning BP is very unlikely and beating A2 DOM is totally up in the air still. A2s Friday is a super strong number, if it ends up getting a huge Sat increase I am more confident about TGM going down than ever. Basically it would be on par with TGM 4th weekend gross, but with a significant lead over it so you do the math. 

Just now, Mr Roark said:

If the Academy gives Best Pic to a movie like Mav it would be absolutely ridiculous.

Why? I mean a lot of great movies have been released in 2022, but Top Gun doesnt have to hide from any of them quality-wise. When it comes to blockbuster filmmaking, it doesnt get much better than Maverick. Though i dont think it will happen since the Academy rarily gives awards to movies that are massively popular.

• Like 3

3 minutes ago, MovieMan89 said:

TGM winning BP is very unlikely and beating A2 DOM is totally up in the air still. A2s Friday is a super strong number, if it ends up getting a huge Sat increase I am more confident about TGM going down than ever. Basically it would be on par with TGM 4th weekend gross, but with a significant lead over it so you do the math. 

Top Gun also had summer competition, while Avatar has a free January for itself (Megan doesnt count imo as real competition) and in Feburary it will be at a point anyway where the grosses are less and less impacted by new movies. The only thing that will eventually cut its later legs is the loss of the PLF's.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Brainbug said:

Why? I mean a lot of great movies have been released in 2022, but Top Gun doesnt have to hide from any of them quality-wise. When it comes to blockbuster filmmaking, it doesnt get much better than Maverick. Though i dont think it will happen since the Academy rarily gives awards to movies that are massively popular.

Big disagree. For all the flack Avatar gets for all spectacle no substance, it goes just as much or more so for Top Gun. There’s nothing noteworthy there about the plot or characters ESPECIALLY for people who don’t have 80s nostalgia. The recent Mission Impossible movies have been infinitely more compelling in their stories and characters than TGM.

On top of that, why is a movie that is very much in the spirit of a movie that would have been completely ridiculed at the very notion of best picture in its day (Top Gun) suddenly BP worthy? The only answer would be a massive nostalgia bias, and that’s frankly some bullshit if that’s what the Academy is basing the award on these days. 

• Like 6
  • Disbelief 2

7 minutes ago, MovieMan89 said:

Big disagree. For all the flack Avatar gets for all spectacle no substance, it goes just as much or more so for Top Gun. There’s nothing noteworthy there about the plot or characters ESPECIALLY for people who don’t have 80s nostalgia. The recent Mission Impossible movies have been infinitely more compelling in their stories and characters than TGM.

On top of that, why is a movie that is very much in the spirit of a movie that would have been completely ridiculed at the very notion of best picture in its day (Top Gun) suddenly BP worthy? The only answer would be a massive nostalgia bias, and that’s frankly some bullshit if that’s what the Academy is basing the award on these days. 

I mean all of that is fair because its your opinion. I disagree with pretty much everything you say here as well (apart that the Mission Impossible films are amazing, because they are).

Top Gun ofc profits from people having nostalgia for it and because the story is quite simple and basically just serves as setting the necessary groundwork for the action scenes. But those action scenes are some of the best practical action cinema of the century thus far and even with that kind of action, the movie wouldnt have had the succes it had without the emotional connection audiences hat with the characters.

Because yeah, Top Gun Maverick has great character writing, the only thing about the story/characters that i would criticise is Jennifer Connellys character because that whole love interest-storyline felt a bit like checking boxes. But the dynamic between Maverick and Gooses' son, the heart and center of the film, just works. It helps that the third act of Maverick is the best blockbuster third act in years.

Edited by Brainbug
  • Like 5

3 minutes ago, Brainbug said:

I mean all of that is fair because its your opinion. I disagree with pretty much everything you say here as well (apart that the Mission Impossible films are amazing, because they are).

Top Gun ofc profits from people having nostalgia for it and because the story is quite simple and basically just serves as setting the necessary groundwork for the action scenes. But those action scenes are some of the best practical action cinema of the century thus far and even with that kind of action, the movie wouldnt have had the succes it had without the emotional connection audiences hat with the characters.

Because yeah, Top Gun Maverick has great character writing, the only thing about the story/characters that i would criticise is Jennifer Connellys character because that whole love interest-storyline felt a bit like checking boxes. But the dynamic between Maverick and Gooses' son, the heart and center of the film, just works. It helps that the third act of Maverick is the best blockbuster third act in years.

Not arguing audiences connected with characters, arguing that it wasnt bc of any kind of high quality character building. It was very nostalgia driven. Right down to using Kilmer’s real life unfortunate circumstances as the pivotal heart wrenching scene. It rode on so many nostalgia waves that wouldn’t have been there for a movie with the same script that was a new IP. 

I also don’t think the action was as incredible to watch as many hyped it to be. I think what’s incredible is that most of the actors actually did their own stunts and that is very commendable, but it doesn’t make it anymore awe inspiring to watch unless you’re telling yourself in your head the whole time “omg they actually did this”, which I think is what happened with most people. And that magnified the spectacle in people’s mind. But in sheer unbiased what’s more jaw dropping on the screen terms, I can’t see how it compares w A2s greatest spectacle whatsoever. 

• Like 2

highest-grossing best picture winners:

01 / $2202M / TITANIC (1997)

02 / $1146M / THE LORD OF THE RINGS: THE RETURN OF THE KING (2003)

03 / $678M / FORREST GUMP (1994)

04 / $465M / GLADIATOR (2000)

05 / $427M / THE KING'S SPEECH (2010)

06 / $424M / DANCES WITH WOLVES (1990)

07 / $378M / SLUMDOG MILLIONAIRE (2008)

08 / $356M / AMERICAN BEAUTY (1999)

09 / $355M / RAIN MAN (1988)

10 / $322M / SCHINDLER'S LIST (1992)

Edited by kayumanggi
  • Like 4

59 minutes ago, keysersoze123 said:

I am feeling good about A2 today > A2 last saturday. That is not an outrageous performance considering last saturday was down day. Question is how much higher can it go? We will only know tonight. 

Yeah, to get past $18m to match or improve on last Saturday would require about +58% from Fri. Achievable, and already a good number, but let's see if we can push to maybe even $19-20m.

17 minutes ago, MovieMan89 said:

Weren’t you the guy throwing a fit over the Oscars not picking “popular movies” and that it made them “out of touch?” Now the idea of them awarding a popular movie is awful and bad? Okay then.

3 minutes ago, 3RIC said:

Weren’t you the guy throwing a fit over the Oscars not picking “popular movies” and that it made them “out of touch?” Now the idea of them awarding a popular movie is awful and bad? Okay then.

I was arguing they’ve had tons of chances to award incredible blockbusters since TDK onward and have turned their nose up everytime. They deserve their irrelevant status with the public these days. Never once said TGM was one such movie, never would have. 

Edited by MovieMan89
  • Like 1

15 minutes ago, Brainbug said:

I don't really disagree in Maverick's simple plot/characters working (well, if you ignore the fact that the core of the mission as has has been presented is probably illegal, but let's not talk about that), but I don't think it even has the best blockbuster third act of the year.

Very good film, great crowdpleaser, BP worthy? Definitely not imho, especially with the academy moving away from blockbuster BPs for a long time now, and I don't think Maverick is what bucks the trend. If they really wanted to, their best chance was probably Mad Max.

To each their own though. I'm rooting for EEAAO myself. My second pick would be All Quiet on the Western Front but I doubt it'll even get a nom.

Edited by JustLurking
  • Like 2