Shawn Robbins

MLK Weekend Thread (1/13-16) | 3-day/4-day Estimates: Avatar 32.4M/40.6M, M3GAN 18.26M/21.72M, Puss 14.39M/19.04M, Otto 12.8M/15.33M, Plane 10M/12.03M, House Party 4M/4.73M

6 minutes ago, hw64 said:

29% drop from a non-holiday weekend to a holiday weekend.

25% drop from a holiday weekend to a non-holiday weekend?

Actually not that impossible, NWH achieved smaller drop following MLK weekend than MLK weekend itself. The same goes to Sing2, Jumanji: NL, Aquaman and so on. 

14 minutes ago, hw64 said:

29% drop from a non-holiday weekend to a holiday weekend.

25% drop from a holiday weekend to a non-holiday weekend?

It's not unusual..Drops tend to stabilize more in later weekends of the run...NWH last year had 38.5% drop in its 5th weekend (same MLK weekend) but only 30% drop in its 6th weekend. Considering A2 is a weekend heavy movie, 25% drop is possible. . Also it's not like the holiday boost is huge..if there was no MLK day, then Sunday would have been 9.7 instead of 11.7, overall weekend would have been 30.5 (33% drop)

17 minutes ago, titanic2187 said:

Actually not that impossible, NWH achieved smaller drop following MLK weekend than MLK weekend itself. The same goes to Sing2, Jumanji: NL, Aquaman and so on. 

6 minutes ago, upriser7 said:

It's not unusual..Drops tend to stabilize more in later weekends of the run...NWH last year had 38.5% drop in its 5th weekend (same MLK weekend) but only 30% drop in its 6th weekend. Considering A2 is a weekend heavy movie, 25% drop is possible. . Also it's not like the holiday boost is huge..if there was no MLK day, then Sunday would have been 9.7 instead of 11.7, overall weekend would have been 30.5 (33% drop)

All of the mentioned movies had significant new releases on their MLK weekends and then no new significant releases the week after. No Way Home and Sing 2 had Scream ($34m), Aquaman had Glass ($46m), Jumanji had Bad Boys ($73m) and Dolittle ($28m). Avatar 2 doesn't have anything on that level this MLK weekend.

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, hw64 said:

All of the mentioned movies had significant new releases on their MLK weekends and then no new significant releases the week after. No Way Home and Sing 2 had Scream ($34m), Aquaman had Glass ($46m), Jumanji had Bad Boys ($73m) and Dolittle ($28m). Avatar 2 doesn't have anything on that level this MLK weekend.

Agreed. The key number of the weekend is Saturday, in that was -33% from the previous week. That should be roughly the base rate of decline, and at best Avatwo should drop that much for next weekend, likely a little more because of the holiday-inflated Sunday, so like -38%/$20.5M 
That’s where I’d start, unless weekday numbers suggest it’s holding rate is improving (or dropping more)

NWH is going to be skewed by Canada theaters reopening around that time 

3 minutes ago, Flip said:

PIB 82% more than Sing 2’s 5th weekend, if it does 182% of Sing 2 from now on it should end at $185M. 200m?

Like i mentioned already, the possibility that it’s turning into The Greatest Showman 2.0 at the box office is looking like it’s there at this point. 

38 minutes ago, hw64 said:

Calling Scream “significant” competition to NWH when it grossed sub 35 on OW and was an older gen skewed horror movie is a pretty massive reach. It was a very minor competitor to NWH at absolute most. 

• Like 2
  • Knock It Off 1

You know, with M3GAN, Plane, and (presumably) Missing getting good-to-great reviews, 2023 really bucked the trend of "crappy January movies getting dumped". Which is a really nice way to start the year. 

• Like 4

Anyways, with that weekend actual, I think A2 is still very much on pace for 700. That said, I would have preferred to see 34-35 to still feel confident about over TGM, which I think is going to turn into a real nail biter in the end. Though I still give the high odds to A2 bc they are almost guaranteed to go for a big re-release/expansion push later this year if it comes within 10m or so of TGM organically. 

Just now, Deep Wang said:

Maybe it's just me, but that seems like a weird way to talk about a movie that came in first place that weekend with $30m?  

Not much different than M3gan last weekend. Are we claiming that was a real direct competitor to A2? Highly beg to differ. 

• Like 7

29 minutes ago, MovieMan89 said:

Calling Scream “significant” competition to NWH when it grossed sub 35 on OW and was an older gen skewed horror movie is a pretty massive reach. It was a very minor competitor to NWH at absolute most. 

Scream:

"Updated exits show guys leading at 53%, 67% between 18-34, and 58% over 25. On Friday morning, exits showed 80% under 34 years old, indicating that the movie is appealing toward a younger generation. Diversity draw was 46% Caucasian, 33% Latino and Hispanic, 11% Black and 5% Asian."

No Way Home:

"The 18-34 demo is largely responsible for the success of this blockbuster, showing up at 70% with men under 25 at 38%, men over 25 at 25%, women under 25 at 22% and women over 25 at 15%. Updated diversity demos are 32% Caucasian, 30% Latino and Hispanic, 17% Black and 14% Asian."

"PLF and Imax are driving 31% of this weekend’s ticket sales, with 62% between 18-34 (updated)."

Looks decently similar to me, especially in the 18-34 audience pull and the Latino/Hispanic draw. No Way Home drew far more kids, obviously, but there's a good amount of overlap here.

In any case, regardless of the extent to which you think Scream was effective competition for No Way Home, I think it's pretty evident that it was, in any case, significantly more competition than Avatar 2 faced this weekend.

Edited by hw64
  • Like 2

5 minutes ago, hw64 said:

Scream:

No Way Home:

Looks decently similar to me, especially in the 18-34 audience pull and the Latino/Hispanic draw. No Way Home drew far more kids, obviously, but there's a good amount of overlap here.

In any case, regardless of the extent to which you think Scream was effective competition for No Way Home, I think it's pretty evident that it was, in any case, significantly more competition than Avatar 2 faced this weekend.

So are we arguing M3gan is significant competition to A2 then? Bc you have to by that logic. Horror should not be a huge overlap, even if age/ethnic demos are similar. 

• Like 1