Shawn Robbins

MLK Weekend Thread (1/13-16) | 3-day/4-day Estimates: Avatar 32.4M/40.6M, M3GAN 18.26M/21.72M, Puss 14.39M/19.04M, Otto 12.8M/15.33M, Plane 10M/12.03M, House Party 4M/4.73M

58 minutes ago, theghostofmarv said:

Is there some kind of record for a super wide release movie (3,000+ theaters) making more money in weekends 2-4 than it made its opening weekend? Because Puss has done that and I'm not sure I've ever seen that before. 

You ever heard of this tiny lil film called titanic?

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

While unlikely,  Zoe Zaldana could star in 9 2B movies. Won´t happen as I don´t think Kang Dynasti or Secret Wars will get that but still wild to think about.

I have no doubt in my mind seeing the monster legs on Avatar that all five movies will be 2B+

Edited by thajdikt

1 minute ago, thajdikt said:

While unlikely,  Zoe Zaldana could star in 9 2B movies. Won´t happen as I don´t think Kang Dynasti or Secret Wars will get that but still wild to think about.

I have no doubt in my mind seeing the monster legs on Avatar that all five movies will be 2B+

What make you so sure that she survive in all sequel??? 

1 hour ago, JustLurking said:

You ever heard of this tiny lil film called titanic?

Titanic opened in less than 3,000 cinemas. Though to be fair, at the time not many movies opened in 3,000+ cinemas. The Ring (2002) opened with $15m, then went on to have 18.4m, 18.1m, and 15.5m second, third, and fourth weekends. However, just like Titanic, it opened in less than 3,000 cinemas.

10 hours ago, hw64 said:

Wednesday and Thursday figures are rolled into the weekend in certain overseas markets where the box office "weekend" is defined as Thu-Sun or Wed-Sun.

The international weekend gross of $88.6m isn't a Fri-Sun gross, it's a sum of the "weekend" grosses in each overseas market, so that's Fri-Sun in some markets, but Thu-Sun or Wed-Sun in some others.

Curious if its Sat-Sun for Japan.

11 minutes ago, shachi86 said:

Titanic opened in less than 3,000 cinemas. Though to be fair, at the time not many movies opened in 3,000+ cinemas. The Ring (2002) opened with $15m, then went on to have 18.4m, 18.1m, and 15.5m second, third, and fourth weekends. However, just like Titanic, it opened in less than 3,000 cinemas.

Fair enough I guess though titanic opened in 2.6k and that number didn't really change much its first 5 weekends (only climbed to 2.7k until it hit 2.8k on its 7th weekend, 2.9k on its 8th, and 3k on its 9th), so not really all that different. But you're right, not 3k+.

Edited by JustLurking

Japan switched to mostly opening Fri instead of opening Sat a decade or so ago so the opening weekend figs for it are fss but the BO weekend is still just satSun so the Japan component of reported 2nd 3rd 4th etc OS weekend is just the 2day.

Edited by Favorite Fearless Legion

13 minutes ago, Favorite Fearless Legion said:

Japan switched to mostly opening Fri instead of opening Sat a decade or so ago so the opening weekend figs for it are fss but the BO weekend is still just satSun so the Japan component of reported 2nd 3rd 4th etc OS weekend is just the 2day.

Nah this got changed too like 2 weeks ago. Weekend is reported as fri-sun now. Should've been changed ages ago when the switch to fri started happening imo but it is what it is I guess. I don't mind per se but since every record has already been set on the 2day system it's going to make comparisons awkward.

• Astonished 1

4 hours ago, Jiffy said:

The Greatest Showman technically did not go below its opening 3-day weekend until Week 7 but that was with Wednesday opening and Christmas Eve deflation... both of which I suppose apply to Puss as well.

Well Puss is the first for a sequel.

8 hours ago, upriser7 said:

its also super rare to see a Brady led team getting blown out in playoffs..I can't even remember the last time it happened

The only example I can think of is the 2009 season when Baltimore beat New England 33-14 in the wild card round.