BadOlCatSylvester

Weekdays Thread (23rd to 26th of January 2023)

1 minute ago, IronJimbo said:

that sounds like when someone is being mean and says "thats a lot for you". Like a backhanded complement

No, it's just contextualising that indian films don't have huge appeal in the US. Sort of like how it was a huge deal for an anime film to hit 20M OW.

• Like 5

Just now, JustLurking said:

No, it's just contextualising that indian films don't have huge appeal in the US. Sort of like how it was a huge deal for an anime film to hit 20M OW.

I understand that your intention wasn't what I described, however.

Yes. It sounded like i described. Sometimes you gotta be careful how you word things 🤷‍♂️

• ...wtf 1

4 minutes ago, IronJimbo said:

I understand that your intention wasn't what I described, however.

Yes. It sounded like i described. Sometimes you gotta be careful how you word things 🤷‍♂️

...ok? If I wanted to diss indian cinema I'd probably pick a different place than the weekday BO thread 😅

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Brainbug said:

Box office history doesnt remember actual daily grosses.

It remembers reported daily grosses.

Admission numbers aren't reported for DOM, doesn't stop people from bringing them up and making their own estimates

I think it's fair to mention Avatar was #1 for 41 straight days if you stick to the notion that a day is 24 hours

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, DAJK said:

Had a dream that The Rock and Will Smith both passed away suddenly. Very realistic dream too. I was so shocked, and came here as soon as I woke Ip to see everyone’s reactions… only to realize that it was a dream and I am in fact a half-awake idiot.

Stupid dreams, and stupid classes for making me get up at 6AM :lol:

You kill a lot of people in your dreams

On 3/27/2017 at 9:50 AM, DAJK said:

I just had a dream that... Benedict Cumberbatch died? Wtf?

• Haha 2
  • Astonished 1

8 minutes ago, GOGODanca said:

1.3m Thursday would probably mean 14-14.5m weekend for a2

I'd probably expect a 15M+ weekend with a 1.3M Thursday. Last weekend was 11.5 times Thursday number (if you ignore the impact of Popcorn day). Also there are no NFL playoffs this Saturday..that should result in even bigger Saturday bump this week.

• Like 3

17 minutes ago, upriser7 said:

I'd probably expect a 15M+ weekend with a 1.3M Thursday. Last weekend was 11.5 times Thursday number (if you ignore the impact of Popcorn day). Also there are no NFL playoffs this Saturday..that should result in even bigger Saturday bump this week.

Sunday hold will be worse than this week since AFC/NFC Championship games are this week

• Like 2

So the same multi for the weekend would put Avatar in the neighborhood of $14.5m (roughly a 28% drop.) 

Next week will probably see sub $1m dailies and probably a bit of a harsher drop on the weekend (2/3-2/5) due to PLFs starting to erode due to Knock at the Cabin. I’m guessing the drop will be closer to 40% that weekend. 

Unless it has the late legs of TGM, I think $700m is out of reach. With March as packed as it is, I doubt it gets a significant number of PLFs back to make such a run. 

31 minutes ago, upriser7 said:

10 minutes ago, druv10 said:

Sunday hold will be worse than this week since AFC/NFC Championship games are this week

Exactly, with the hype of the two games I wouldn’t be surprised if Saturday is huge and then Sunday afternoon falls off a cliff. Winner goes to the Super Bowl. We’re to the point where the stakes themselves will draw a large number of viewers. 

• Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, corngrower87 said:

Exactly, with the hype of the two games I wouldn’t be surprised if Saturday is huge and then Sunday afternoon falls off a cliff. Winner goes to the Super Bowl. We’re to the point where the stakes themselves will draw a large number of viewers. 

That is a very good point. I can definitely see Avatar 2 go sub-14M for the weekend because of how much Americans worship their football. I also think we'll the first single digit weekend for Puss 2.

• Like 1

For this weekend, Saturday will see bigger increases and Sunday will drop more, but overall its a generally a slight bump to the total, losing less from one day than over the 2 days combined. With basically nothing opening, holdovers should meet or exceed their Wed/Wed holds (keeping in mind last Thur was inflated by Nat'l Popcorn Day, so that will skew comparisons/ratios for that day)

$1.4M wed (-25%) should be $15M+ for the Avatwo weekend

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, IronJimbo said:

is that a lot for Pathaan? i thought it just came out

It's a limited release I believe...so it won the day with only about 350 theaters (if it's a normal Indian movie release).  That's the impressive part...

Edited by TwoMisfits

11 minutes ago, GOGODanca said:

i still don't get why cameron said yes to re-releasing titanic in 3d while a2 is in theatres, should have waited until a later dead spot in the year like maybe september, instead he's just cannibalizing himself

Because that weekend is Valentine's weekend, and since Cameron obviously couldn't release it on the film's actual 25th anniversary, this spot is the next best thing for it.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, BadOlCatSylvester said:

Because that weekend is Valentine's weekend, and since Cameron obviously couldn't release it on the film's actual 25th anniversary, this spot is the next best thing for it.

yes but is a 3d release of titanic that comes out same time as magic mike gonna really get some valentines benefit that would make it considerably more than say a september release and is it worth taking away your own 3d screens from your latest movie?