Krissykins

Weekend Thread - Jan 27th-29th | Estimates - Avatar 15.7, Puss 10.6, Otto 6.75, M3GAN 6.37, Pathaan 5.95 | The Way of Water is the fourth-biggest movie of all time! Eleventh DOM! Zoe Saldana the GOAT

2 minutes ago, DAJK said:

The 80 For Brady Early Access shows are selling really well today. I'm really starting to think this is going to turn into a mini-breakout, or even take away the word mini.

I mean, it’s destined for 80M. Smart execs

• Thanks 1

11 minutes ago, jb007 said:

Puss in Boots: The Last Wish is the best movie I have seen in a long time. It is extraordinary. Watched it 4 times. Only TGM comes close in 2022.

Ill watch it a (probably) final 5th time next week. It has really good rewatch potential.

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, DAJK said:

The 80 For Brady Early Access shows are selling really well today. I'm really starting to think this is going to turn into a mini-breakout, or even take away the word mini.

The Early Access show is pretty much full in one of the bigger auditoriums at the theater where I'm seeing Women Talking at in a little. Wouldn't be surprised if it ends up having a run similar to Book Club in the end.

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, jb007 said:

Puss in Boots: The Last Wish is the best movie I have seen in a long time. It is extraordinary. Watched it 4 times. Only TGM comes close in 2022.

I have no idea how it didn't get an A+ cinemascore 

Breathtaking animation, awesome villain, great side characters 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, TheFlatLannister said:

I was shocked at how good it is. Not getting A+ cinemascore is crazy. 

• Like 1

For anyone who finds this weekend dull because of the lack of big major releases, this is a huge plug, but I just started making Youtube videos, and my recent one is me talking about the biggest box office runs of the last decade.

FYI, this video took a long time to make because of technical issues, so I can definitely say for sure that the box office has improved somewhat since then. 

• Like 2
  • Heart 1

22 minutes ago, DAJK said:

I just checked some FL markets - caveat that is Seniorville in winter - and a whole lot of near sell-outs, even with 2 or 3 showings at the Tampa locations (certainly will overindex there)

Still not sure how much this is burning off demand rather than a signal of a higher opening, but a TTP teens opening wouldn’t surprise me now 

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, TheFlatLannister said:

Maybe some families were turned off by the moodier elements of the movie? I don't know, after seeing the movie I'm amazed it somehow missed the A+ mark.

3 minutes ago, Fancyarcher said:

For anyone who finds this weekend dull because of the lack of big major releases, this is a huge plug, but I just started making Youtube videos, and my recent one is me talking about the biggest box office runs of the last decade.

FYI, this video took a long time to make because of technical issues, so I can definitely say for sure that the box office has improved somewhat since then. 

I'm genuinely curious what's going on at Sony and why they haven't made a Jumanji 3 already.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, M37 said:

Honestly haven’t run the math in a bit, but prob still in ~$670M range. Loss of PLFs and Ant-Man are going to knock it down pretty hard IMO, but it’s got 2 weeks of free rein left before then to add to total 

It will be interesting to see how much Knock at the Cabin affects it next weekend. While it isn’t necessarily something that will appeal to the same audience, it will be taking all of the Dolby Cinemas (per contract with universal) and I bet it eats into some of the other non IMAX PLFs (Cinemark XD, B & B Grand Screen, etc. ) as well. I could see it dropping upwards of 35-40% next weekend just due to that factor alone…

• Like 1

1 minute ago, DAJK said:

I'm genuinely curious what's going on at Sony and why they haven't made a Jumanji 3 already.

Dwayne's busy schedule is the most likely reason. I'm just as surprised as you are that there still hasn't been any movement on that IP since the second movie. Dwayne should have done that instead of wasting his time on his overambitious Black Adam vanity project.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, DAJK said:

Scheduling. Dwayne and Jake Kasdan are still working on this Amazon Christmas movie, and Kevin Hart’s probably going from comedy to comedy too. Makes it hard to get things together. But I’m sure at this point Jumanji 3 is the top priority. If not, they really are losing their golden window

• Like 3

Top-5-Worldwide.jpg

Whatever you think of James Cameron, this is an extraordinary accomplishment. Three of the top 4 highest grossing films, and three $2+ billion films from original ideas. I wonder if this will ever be replicated.

Peace,

Mike

• Like 10
  • Thanks 1
  • Astonished 1

2 hours ago, CaptNathanBrittles said:

Pathetic PTAs for the expanded Oscar nominees.

It's not like the Best Picture contenders are all getting full showtimes everywhere. Anything already on PVOD/streaming is probably playing once or twice a day, and maybe at reduced prices. At my local AMC, TGM and Elvis are playing one time each today as $5 Favorites. Triangle of Sadness played once yesterday at 10:30 pm; today, The Banshees of Inisherin has that time slot there. The biggest Oscar boost will be on the ancillary market.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, MikeQ said:

Top-5-Worldwide.jpg

Whatever you think of James Cameron, this is an extraordinary accomplishment. Three of the top 4 highest grossing films, and three $2+ billion films from original ideas. I wonder if this will ever be replicated.

Peace,

Mike

Kind of sad that that huge covid wave hit China right when A2 openend. Otherwise it would have had a legitimate chance of beating Endgame. Imagine A1 first and A2 in second place....

:sadfleck:

• Like 1
  • Sad 3

1 minute ago, Elessar said:

Kind of sad that that huge covid wave hit China right when A2 openend. Otherwise it would have had a legitimate chance of beating Endgame. Imagine A1 first and A2 in second place....

:sadfleck:

I'm glad it's you who said this and not me, and I agree!

• Like 2
  • Haha 1