Krissykins

Weekend Thread - Jan 27th-29th | Estimates - Avatar 15.7, Puss 10.6, Otto 6.75, M3GAN 6.37, Pathaan 5.95 | The Way of Water is the fourth-biggest movie of all time! Eleventh DOM! Zoe Saldana the GOAT

31 minutes ago, BadOlCatSylvester said:

Maybe some families were turned off by the moodier elements of the movie? I don't know, after seeing the movie I'm amazed it somehow missed the A+ mark.

I think this is it. It got the IW style “darker than expected, too much for some % of young kids” knock

• Like 1

We finally saw Puss in Boots this week, took our kiddos on Thursday and it is sublime. Probably the best animation I have seen since Soul but one that just hit all the right notes in ways that DreamWorks hasnt in a decade probably. 

Glad to have contributed to its $$. 

• Like 11

5 minutes ago, Favorite Fearless Legion said:

I think this is it. It got the IW style “darker than expected, too much for some % of young kids” knock

Yes, our 5 yo was a tad frightened of the Wolf at the start but by the end was cool, so I can see that being an aspect that knocks the score a fraction.

• Like 2

13 minutes ago, GOGODanca said:

Old people saving theatres post pandemic , who would have thought 

Their absence over the prior 18 months is partially why theaters needed “saving” 

It’s good to see some coming back, but still a decent step below what it was 

1 hour ago, DAJK said:

The 80 For Brady Early Access shows are selling really well today. I'm really starting to think this is going to turn into a mini-breakout, or even take away the word mini.

1 hour ago, M37 said:

I just checked some FL markets - caveat that is Seniorville in winter - and a whole lot of near sell-outs, even with 2 or 3 showings at the Tampa locations (certainly will overindex there)

Still not sure how much this is burning off demand rather than a signal of a higher opening, but a TTP teens opening wouldn’t surprise me now 

• Sad 1

OT: I saw The Menu on HBOMax last night.  I'm still actually processing the movie.  Its foodie elements are spectacular, its build of tension and horror is sublime, BUT it's got elements of why the F is that going on, too.  I both loved it (yes, I'm a foodie, so this is wheelhouse for me) and was confused and didn't buy other parts of it.  But, it was so new and so weirdly exciting.

So, I think overall I give it a B. I think it's worthy of a Top 25 year end slot for 2022 b/c it was not a super, it had no powers, it didn't even have supernatural elements...it just was what it was...and I almost fully bought it, but I couldn't quite get there.

I wish it did better in theaters, but if not, I hope it takes off in streaming...

• Like 1

44hhln6putea1.png

https://deadline.com/2023/01/box-office-avatar-the-way-of-water-infinity-pool-cronenberg-1235243380/

Who saw the Bollywood action film Pathaan landing at #5 for the weekend based on its estimated Friday number of $1.87 million (with a $8.4 million (!!!) 5-day total). I sure didn't.

Crazy impressive - I'm seeing a lot of nearly-full and even some sellouts in the major cities. In my local town of less than 50,000 people here in central PA, the next two showings are nearly sold out. 

Imagine how much this film would have grossed if it had been in 2,000 + locations - it could have made it to #2 or $3 behind Avatar!

Edited by rolandka19

11 minutes ago, rolandka19 said:

44hhln6putea1.png

https://deadline.com/2023/01/box-office-avatar-the-way-of-water-infinity-pool-cronenberg-1235243380/

Who saw the Bollywood action film Pathaan landing at #5 for the weekend based on its estimated Friday number of $1.87 million (with a $8.4 million (!!!) 5-day total). I sure didn't.

Crazy impressive - I'm seeing a lot of nearly-full and even some sellouts in the major cities. In my local town of less than 50,000 people here in central PA, the next two showings are nearly sold out. 

Imagine how much this film would have grossed if it had been in 2,000 + locations - it could have made it to #2 or $3 behind Avatar!

not sure I agree. For Indian movies, I'd say 700-800 locations are more than enough. There isn't widespread demand across all parts of the country for Indian movies like you see for Hollywood movies. Indians are probably like 1-2% of American population...so audience pool is limited.

• Like 3

Endgame WW: $2.799b

Endgame WW - China: $2.167b

Endgame WW - China - Russia: $2.121b

A2 WW: $2.074b

A2 WW - China: $1.834b

A2 WW - China - Russia: $1.834b

Can A2 beat Endgame minus China, or minus (China + Russia)?

4 hours ago, CaptNathanBrittles said:

Pathetic PTAs for the expanded Oscar nominees.

Judging from the release strategy post-Covid, we can safely say the Oscar bump is officially extinct. No one including Steven Spielberg willing to wait that long to home media market until Oscar nomination. In the past Oscar nomination was used to boost box office but now the focus is to boost viewership (See how all nominees jump in VOD chart) while theatrical run is mostly serve as alternative for niche audience.   

Luckily we have some last awesome Oscar bump moment before Covid with Parasite, 1917. In fact, I would say Avatar 2 could be the only movie that still stay at number 1 after Oscar nomination day in a decade to come. 

• Like 3