Eric the Marxist

Trap | August 2, 2024 | Warner Bros. | M. Night Shyamalan

23 minutes ago, Poseidon said:

I never thought of this as a real plot hole. I could be that they just didn't know water. Marie Curie knew a lot of things, but she didn't know her science would be her death sentence when she started. That's Science...

Good Point.

Posted (edited)
6 hours ago, Poseidon said:

I never thought of this as a real plot hole. I could be that they just didn't know water. Marie Curie knew a lot of things, but she didn't know her science would be her death sentence when she started. That's Science...

Well, I wouldn't dare to compare a lady from 19-20 century to aliens on SPACEships. And all this talk from scientists "a planet has to have water for life existence, water=life", and M. Night is like "wait, what if water is not=life, but actually=death, isn't it cool?!"

No, dude, it's not cool. It's stupid.  Our air also contains water. Ever heard of humidity levels? Why didn't aliens felt its effect on their skin? 

Did they have breathing masks? I don't remember .

Anyway. We can argue about this all day and some. Let's not) And not here

Edited by cinema pal

Posted (edited)
14 hours ago, Poseidon said:

I might be too dumb to understand the concept of the movie....but...why wouldn't he just leave like he went in?

And if the police knew who he was, why in gods name would they arrange a concert to trap him?

Also, why wouldn't you just get him on entry via the usual security procedure? 

The first Trailer looked great...

I mean based on the trailer these police are being led by a mysterious elderly british woman. You can explain a lot away when there's some enigmatic madman behind the scenes, clearly things aren't being approached as they would be in the real world. There can always be ulterior motives or just sheer idiosyncrasies.

Edited by harrisonisdead

14 hours ago, Poseidon said:

I might be too dumb to understand the concept of the movie....but...why wouldn't he just leave like he went in?

And if the police knew who he was, why in gods name would they arrange a concert to trap him?

Also, why wouldn't you just get him on entry via the usual security procedure? 

The first Trailer looked great...

lol, yeah it makes no sense once you start asking questions.  Also, why would a random employee know the police entire plan.  Trying to catch a killer by trapping them in a concert with 30k people is the worst plan possible.  Hopefully, its dumb full with some fun moments.

M. Night movies have long come under (often understandable) criticism for having completely unnatural performances and dialogue (poor Vicky Krieps in Old: "Can you believe I found this hotel online?!" Gee I don't know lady, where else are you gonna find info for any resort these days?) and for not trusting the audience by blatantly telegraphing where the story will go, so it's probably best not to get too hung on the entire concept, which seems to be part of a trend in horror movies this year of aiming to ride the Taylor Swift Eras Tour train between this and Smile 2.

1 hour ago, filmlover said:

(poor Vicky Krieps in Old: "Can you believe I found this hotel online?!

This movie broke my heart. So bad. Cuz I loved her  in Phantom thread, one of my favorite performances of that year

On 4/22/2024 at 5:25 AM, SpiderByte said:

Fucking what?!?

So the runtime is 1h 46min as per theaters. Literally no idea where the 2h30m came from except maybe they mistook the trailer runtime as the movie runtime 

13 hours ago, grim22 said:

So the runtime is 1h 46min as per theaters. Literally no idea where the 2h30m came from except maybe they mistook the trailer runtime as the movie runtime 

It's remarkable how consistent Shyamalan is with his runtimes. This is the 11th movie of his that's in the 100 to 110 minute range. Only 3 of his movies have been shorter and only 2 have been longer.

10 hours ago, justnumbers said:

Yeah, no.

Every M Night film is pegged as his comeback movie, where he will have a huge sucess and be A Lit again, but it never happens.

He has found a comfortable niche, where he makes modest budget films that make a decent profit but are not really big hits.

IMHO he had a run at being a massive A listproducer director but blew it. Yes,he has a nice niche and has become a very welathy man, but compared the days when he was being trumpted as 'The Next Spielberg".