GOGODanca

Ant-Man and the Wasp: Quantumania — Weekend Thread | 105.5M 3-Day, 120M 4-Day

I think the problem isn’t that they’re adapted too much for the comics, there’s more or less about the same stuff in the previous phases (if anything the comics have had more consequences, arguably more interesting relationships and a lived-in world than not just the prior phase but a decent handful of Phase 1-3). Tbh Phase 4 as a whole was about as consistent as past phases, the problem was not enough deviated and we got 15+ projects in the span of two years rather than 5 which only worsen the issues. If anything I’d like more dissection and examination of themes and solid storytelling. Most of the writers this phase have not written a script, and while it’s not the end all be all of talent, I’d rather have a writer who has made “bad films” than a green writer that’s cheaper. 

The problem with one upping the stakes everytime is that nothing matters after one point.

And Infinity Saga had not one single movie which didn't focus on Infinity Saga.

But I'm 100% sure that between Endgame and Kang Dynasty we will get movies and shows which will have absolutely no bearing on Multiverse Saga, but they'll be having bearing in saga next after Multiverse saga.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, stuart360 said:

You could argue thre signs were already there withe The Avengers and Guardians of the Galaxy videogames flopping hard, especialy The Avengers which came at the hight of Marvel movie popularity, or so it seemed.

Not really. Those games flopped because a Tony Stark or a Star Lord without RDJ and Pratt voice/likeness still means very little to people as a draw. They 're not Batman/Spider-Man and I think the same will happen with the Wolverine game they 're making.

1 hour ago, stephanos13 said:

I wonder how they (Feige, Disney execs) feel now for holding off X-MEN and Fantastic 4 for so long after they got the rights.

Probably a sigh of relief that they didn't toss them right away into this multiverse stuff.

Let’s not forget that without taking the Avengers films into the equation Phase 4 has the #1 (NWH), #3 (BP:WF) and #5 (MOM) highest grossing MCU films domestically.

With Love and Thunder outgrossing Ragnarok and Shang Chi being a great success.

The thing is domestically those films are still very very healthy no matter how bad/average they are, but the same thing can’t be said OS where I get the feeling that audiences are really starting to not really care anymore, especially China that boosted a lot of those films globally.

• Like 4

36 minutes ago, Mr Roark said:

I’m pretty confident that even if Phase 5 is gonna suck like 4 then Phase 6 will make people excited again. In 2025 F4 and Spidey 4 will pave the way to an overall excitement for the next Avengers films. Endgame won’t ever be topped I think, because it was built under extremely strong and successful stories thanks to the Russos, but they will still make some really good money going forward.

Yeah they were never topping that. But hopefully they can still make it great in it´s own way.

53 minutes ago, thajdikt said:

Ultron while a step down still was generally well received. It  got a A CS score and 75% score which is ok. That movie was generally well received it just was a step down from the first one. Marvel movies were on a great run in Phase 3 and yes Phase 1-3 had some duds, but most of them were generally good. Now we have movies consistently getting B or B+. Feige is def being spread thin. That doesn´t mean that every movie going forward is going to be perfect if they correct that. But there´s a difference to a Thor Dark world here and there to the movies being consistently being of that quality. They made 18 projects for 2021-22.  From 2016-2019 they made 11. 7 more projects in half the time. If they had made roughly the same amount over the same time period then I doubt it would have gotten so bad.

Agree about the first two points

Ultron and Thor 2 were received just fine by audiences. Their "bad" reputation was exaggerated by the internet precisely because it was so hard to find an MCU film that actually had bad reception.

• Like 7

10 minutes ago, ChipDerby said:

I'm sure it's the movie quality that is the major factor in the overseas gross and nothing else. Yep nothing else could possibly be it.

I honestly have no idea what this is trying to get at. Exchange rates?

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, THUNDER BIRD said:

The problem with one upping the stakes everytime is that nothing matters after one point.

And Infinity Saga had not one single movie which didn't focus on Infinity Saga.

But I'm 100% sure that between Endgame and Kang Dynasty we will get movies and shows which will have absolutely no bearing on Multiverse Saga, but they'll be having bearing in saga next after Multiverse saga.

Yeah that’s their biggest mistake. You don’t have to go bigger to be better. Like actually focus on the post Blip world for the saga and do something slightly more grounded. Multiverse can be the next saga if they wanted. 

Ideally the whole phase would be about the power imbalance and the debate on heroes. 

Phase 4, could be similar to Phase 1 but as superhuman hate grows. Sam Cap would be a main player as he really steps up to the plate (instead of doing a hacky both sides thing). Strange could be his opposite or Carol if they want. Masters of Evil could be the main villains that way, seeking to exploit the power balance and supervillains vs heroes is a concept that befuddles me on how it isn’t used. New Avengers is formed showing they’re not just there to save the world but help out the civilians.

Phase 5 would introduce the mutants with a bit more cosmic shenanigans but expand on those ideas. Showcase the legislation against mutants and how despite there’s an Avengers, the world is still very much divided even if there’s no world ending Avengers level threat. If they want, foundations of Young Avengers could appear too. But this could end in Avengers vs X-Men.

Phase 6 could be something to tie into the whole theme. I was going say Annhilius but I’m not really feeling that and Phoenix could work thematically, it’s just the third time it’s been done. (I actually just thought of it, Secret Invasion, which ends with public trust on heroes and metahumans regained).

Edited by YM!

4 hours ago, Firepower said:

Not really, Rise of Skywalker also had audience score in 80s.

I'm fairly certain that that score got locked in and never updated.  It dropped to like 86 on day 3 or so and never went up or down even 1 % for over 3 years. The most baffling audience score ever.

Nobody will convince me that's legit. 

Edited by AdamKendall
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

14 minutes ago, Menor Reborn said:

Ultron and Thor 2 were received just fine by audiences. Their "bad" reputation was exaggerated by the internet precisely because it was so hard to find an MCU film that actually had bad reception.

Eternals and Thor 4 made me realize how good Thor 2 was

• Like 3

19 minutes ago, XXR of the Galaxy said:

This thread reminds me why I've stopped using this forum intermittently for the last decade. 

Exactly this.

SO many absolutely silly takes. I can even take the silly takes but the revisionism is a complete turn-off.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, IronJimbo said:

Good take

EC has a point.

I don't understand the doom and gloom for an Ant-man movie opening to over $100m.

I legit don't get it. If this was Iron Man or Spider-man or even Thor, I would understand and I'm pretty sure Marvel will push the panic buttons. But Ant-man is one of Marvel's smaller franchises and even that's opening to over $100m.

• Like 3

16 minutes ago, upriser7 said:

😁

Big brain take if the final gross will be lower than Ant-Man 1, what an astonishing victory it would be and not the sign of big trouble at all, but domestic OW is the only thing that matters, right?

Edited by Firepower
  • Like 10

37 minutes ago, upriser7 said:

😁

Ironic as if you cut out all the context like mediocre WOM, international box office looking to underwhelm and the fact that people are saying it could be in trouble rather than it’ll die immediately, then yeah everyone is totally saying the MCU is forever dead. Would expect a bit more brainpower from the guy who sent out threats to the mods.

Edited by YM!
  • Like 12
  • Haha 1

2 minutes ago, Deathlife said:

EC has a point.

I don't understand the doom and gloom for an Ant-man movie opening to over $100m.

I legit don't get it. If this was Iron Man or Spider-man or even Thor, I would understand and I'm pretty sure Marvel will push the panic buttons. But Ant-man is one of Marvel's smaller franchises and even that's opening to over $100m.

Because it collapses overseas and legs won't be good, the budget is at least 200 mln, looks quite obvious to me.

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, Deathlife said:

EC has a point.

Getting the second B Cinemascore and the 4th B/B+ range Cinemascore in the last 6 MCU movies is what's concerning. 

• Like 7