GOGODanca

Ant-Man and the Wasp: Quantumania — Weekend Thread | 105.5M 3-Day, 120M 4-Day

8 minutes ago, PlatnumRoyce said:

Sure, but GotG2 was only relying on raised awareness/interest from GotG1 while all other MCU sequels have benefited from an Avengers crossover to massively boost baseline awareness. IW/Endgame still reached more casual viewers than Guardians which may help deter the headwinds of this being a long delayed sequel. 

The problem with the GOTG franchise is the international market, they are much stronger domestically, OS never showed the same strength, not even when MCU was at its peak, OS audience is not a big fan of movies in space, even Star Wars has this problem too , and GOTG is not strong even in the OS countries where Star wars is very strong (like Japan, some big markets in Europe), I would be extremely surprised if GOTG 3 hits 1 billion.

• Knock It Off 1

2 minutes ago, TigerPaw said:

Funny how tables have turned and Dreamworks is sort-of no longer the underdog, now that Pixar is in a mess and Dreamworks continue to take risks and make quality films.

To be fair, I think Pixar and Disney have taken more risks with topics and characters that could be uncomfortable to some.

DW's THE BAD GUYS was based on a book, so it's not entirely original and the story is already there, while PUSS IN BOOTS: THE LAST WISH is a sequel.

Movies like TURNING RED would have been more of a hard sell, I think. And though LIGHTYEAR was inspired by an already existing character, they had to create a story for it.

Also, I don't know why movies like LIGHTYEAR and STRANGE WORLD get so much hate. They are not the best, but they are good movies.

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, CJohn said:

The OS numbers are looking ugly. Between China and Russia Ant-Man and the Wasp did ~135M. 622M-135M=487M WW total. This one is doing how much in China? Half of the 121M total of the last one? 

We truly never realized how much China was boosting these superhero movies and how Europe was never that much into them. 

Ant-Man 3 will lose around $100m from just S.Korea and China compared to Ant-Man 2

3 minutes ago, GOGODanca said:

Ant-Man 3 will lose around $100m from just S.Korea and China compared to Ant-Man 2

What happened with South Korea? They stopped caring about the MCU?

4 minutes ago, kayumanggi said:

To be fair, I think Pixar and Disney have taken more risks with topics and characters that could be uncomfortable to some.

DW's THE BAD GUYS was based on a book, so it's not entirely original and the story is already there, while PUSS IN BOOTS: THE LAST WISH is a sequel.

Movies like TURNING RED would have been more of a hard sell, I think. And though LIGHTYEAR was inspired by an already existing character, they had to create a story for it.

Also, I don't know why movies like LIGHTYEAR and STRANGE WORLD get so much hate. They are not the best, but they are good movies.

Taking risks not just in terms of originality... but also in terms of release / distribution model.

Turning Red should have been theatrical, now audiences know Pixar movies are gonna appear on D+ fast, why bother going to cinemas.

In terms of originality, milking toy story via a 5th movie (when 4 was already beating a deadhorse) and lightyear... don't exactly help with public perception.

1 hour ago, Menor Reborn said:

Ultron and Thor 2 were received just fine by audiences. Their "bad" reputation was exaggerated by the internet precisely because it was so hard to find an MCU film that actually had bad reception.

Ultron and Thor 2 weren’t hated or anything but the reception was definitely average and they fell off faster than people would have expected. Especially Thor 2

58 minutes ago, Deathlife said:

EC has a point.

I don't understand the doom and gloom for an Ant-man movie opening to over $100m.

I legit don't get it. If this was Iron Man or Spider-man or even Thor, I would understand and I'm pretty sure Marvel will push the panic buttons. But Ant-man is one of Marvel's smaller franchises and even that's opening to over $100m.

this Ant Man has the highest budget of the three (at least 200m), was hyped up as the introduction of the new arc villain, and isn’t doing that great overseas 

4 minutes ago, XXR of the Galaxy said:

Probably Mario on April 7th. If not that, then definitely GOTG3 on May 5th. 

The correct answer is Scream VI 

Bill Hader Popcorn GIF by Saturday Night Live

• Like 4
  • Astonished 2

1 hour ago, upriser7 said:

😁

at this point I just want it to go under 100 so that I can see what our resident spinmaster general has to say

Edited by interiorgatordecorator

1 minute ago, TigerPaw said:

Taking risks not just in terms of originality... but also in terms of release / distribution model.

Turning Red should have been theatrical, now audiences know Pixar movies are gonna appear on D+ fast, why bother going to cinemas.

In terms of originality, milking toy story via a 5th movie (when 4 was already beating a deadhorse) and lightyear... don't exactly help with public perception.

Ah, yes. I very much agree. I have been saying the same thing for quite some time. Now I don't know if Pixar can still recover from what Disney did to their movies. They have trained their auds to just wait for the movies to go streaming.

Regarding, sequels. I'm kinda torn. Because when studios make original movies, people don't support them much. But when they are given sequels, they complain as well. I am perfectly fine with sequels as long as there's a good story. I thought TOY STORY IV was the best in the series. I know they're milking the brand, but it's not like the MINIONS movies, for example, which I just didn't like.

Now I hope animation rebounds this year and studios like Sony and Warner Bros. should get their acts together as well and make good animated movies. They have been left behind.

March looks like a fun month to track if the audience shows up. Creed and Scream are easy bets for 30M+ OWs, DnD and 65 have breakout potential if reviews are good and John Wick can do 60M+ OW. The tomato needs to be fresh but the potential is there for a strong month. The weak link is Shazam, which has zero buzz and bad pre-sales and I don't see interest picking up anytime soon unless it has a 90%+ score on RT, so I am still under 30M OW for that one.

• Like 5

9 minutes ago, XXR of the Galaxy said:

Probably Mario on April 7th. If not that, then definitely GOTG3 on May 5th. 

you guys gonna start doing your daily number updates/extrapolations ala avatar 2?