kayumanggi

Weekend Thread (02.24 - 02.26) | Actuals: 31.96M QUANTUMANIA | 23.26M COCAINE BEAR | 15.80M JESUS REVOLUTION

6 minutes ago, Eric Bear said:

It's very weird how bad 80 for Brady's legs are. Reviews were fine, WOM seems fine, but it'll barely get to a 3x IM. Did Tom Brady fans inflate the opening?

I think its a combination of the story being a little too niche, and so not really breaking out much beyond the core audience despite the good reviews/WOM, plus at least for this weekend some large overlap and lost audience with Jesus Revolution

Its holding about the same as Downton Abbey 2, $19.0/$9.7/$6.0/~$3M (weekly) for Brady, vs $22.5/$10.1/$5.6/$3.0

Cocaine Bear and Jesus Revolution combining for nearly $40M this weekend seems like an excellent sign for the "original" titles hoping to serve as counterprogramming in the upcoming months like Love Again and No Hard Feelings. After two full years of total feast or famine, it's nice to see that we can close the book on the notion of "the non-tentpole is dead in theaters."

• Like 10

18 minutes ago, Issac Newton said:

From Deadline Hollywood

How will Marvel post-mortem this? Aren’t they already “plus-ing” with every movie they make?

One insider close to the film isn’t worried, telling us, “Marvel takes something away from movie including Black Panther, including Avengers. I can say we’re incredibly proud of the film, Jonathan Majors does a fantastic job as Kang. It’s the movie we wanted to make. Box office is what it is, but it’s not going to stop people from going back to the theaters.

2a2eel.jpg?a465768

We'll see what happens by Comic-Con.

9 minutes ago, Hiccup23 said:

I was hoping Knock at the Cabin could stay above $2M but guess it getting released on VOD cut it down quicker. 

Suspect its more losing potential audience to Cocaine Bear that pushed it down below $2M than VOD, hype>meh WOM

28 minutes ago, BadOlCatSylvester said:

On a more pleasant note, fantastic opening for Cocaine Bear. Between it and Megan, meme movies are proving to be a promising trend. I bet Warner probably wishes they could've made Detective Pikachu today, because the TikTok generation might honestly have been able to prop it up to the infamous billion dollar mark most fans back in 2018/2019 were fantasizing about. Hopefully said studio are taking notes for their own Barbie meme movie.

I don't hate Detective Pikachu, but the final product is probably too blase to really catch on.

• Like 1