kayumanggi

Weekend Thread (02.24 - 02.26) | Actuals: 31.96M QUANTUMANIA | 23.26M COCAINE BEAR | 15.80M JESUS REVOLUTION

Reminder. This is what the top 10 worst 2nd weekend drops above 100m opening looks. 

Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows: Part 2

$169,189,427

-72%

$47,422,212

The Twilight Saga: New Moon

$142,839,137

-70%

$42,870,031

The Twilight Saga: Breaking Dawn - Part 1

$138,122,261

-69.8%

$41,683,574

Batman v Superman: Dawn of Justice

$166,007,347

-69.1%

$51,335,254

The Twilight Saga: Breaking Dawn - Part 2

$141,067,634

-69.1%

$43,641,448

Thor: Love and Thunder

$144,165,107

-67.7%

$46,632,172

Spider-Man: No Way Home $260,138,569 -67.5% $84,548,505
Star Wars: Episode VIII - The Last Jedi $220,009,584 -67.5% $71,565,498
Suicide Squad $133,682,248 -67.4% $43,536,013
Doctor Strange in the Multiverse of Madness $187,420,998 -67% $61,755,804

I'm going to guess the box office in SoCal today and tomorrow is going to be way under indexing. This isn't weather anyone should be going outside during. A lot of rain, cold, and wind. Even picking up kids from daycare felt like an adventure. People here forget driving when there's precipitation.

• Like 8

38 minutes ago, GOGODanca said:

Need this to match BvS sub 2x multiplier overall

For that to happen, there will need to be movies taking the IMAX and Dolby screens over the next 2 weeks. BvS got hurt by Jungle Book first and then Civil War and never got enough theaters after that to stabilize. 

7 minutes ago, exomassey said:

To be fair, since Endgame the only MCU that hasn’t fallen over 60% in its 2nd week is Shang Chi. 

It’s a trend that these movies are dropping in quality but maybe the franchise has just become more frontloaded too.

Because of Disney+

If you don't see it OW, might as well wait 2-3 months for D+ release 

• Like 6

36 minutes ago, upriser7 said:

post-holidays period, A2 has had atleast 137% jump on every Friday. Any particular reason why we are expecting much softer jump this Friday ?  

Probably same as PiB: there is some limited holiday/break periods inflating weekdays. The -4% Thur/Thur isn’t indicative of what should be expected for Fri/Fri

• Like 1

On 2/23/2023 at 1:55 PM, M37 said:

I somewhat agree with this, in that my view is that both the Kang-driven fan rush and holiday helped boost the OW, and now we’re seeing it come back down to earth 

Just think it’s less of a GA rejection, more of a loss of potential, and it will leg out fine after the apparent crash this upcoming weekend & week, in part because of absence of alternatives. Have heard from too many people (many unprompted) that liked it, but there’s really no rush now 

Just going to copy over what I wrote in weekday thread, in that I still expect AMWQ to leg out OK from this point on, not continue to crater like BvS

• Like 1

Just now, M37 said:

Just going to copy over what I wrote in weekday thread, in that I still expect AMWQ to leg out OK from this point on, not continue to crater like BvS

Is there really a lack of alternatives though? There's Creed this coming weekend if people want a better reviewed Jonathan Majors performance, then there's 65, Scream, Shazam, John Wick and then Mario. At least one 30M level release every weekend.

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, M37 said:

Probably same as PiB: there is some limited holiday/break periods inflating weekdays. The -4% Thur/Thur isn’t indicative of what should be expected for Fri/Fri

i didn't know Spring breaks already started in some parts of the country. It's usually in 2nd week of March near where I live

29 minutes ago, exomassey said:

To be fair, since Endgame the only MCU that hasn’t fallen over 60% in its 2nd week is Shang Chi. 

It’s a trend that these movies are dropping in quality but maybe the franchise has just become more frontloaded too.

Reception and also 3PM previews. I wonder how stark the discontinuity is with drop from true FSS. 

In this case there is also a holiday inflated sun… but even looking sat/sat I think this will be the worst in the MCU :Venom:

Edited by Favorite Fearless Legion
  • Like 1

26 minutes ago, grim22 said:

Is there really a lack of alternatives though? There's Creed this coming weekend if people want a better reviewed Jonathan Majors performance, then there's 65, Scream, Shazam, John Wick and then Mario. At least one 30M level release every weekend.

Those are nearly all brands/franchises and skew fairly adult - expect for Shazam, which isn’t looking great - leaving a void in the family market, and I suspect the more fan-ish 18-35s are the biggest source of rejection and current crash

Just think there decent runway for a Paul Rudd led PG-13 action/sci-fi flick to capture enough casual/GA to not totally crumble with weekly 50% drops, especially given how limited the release schedule has been of late, where Avatar & PiB accounted for >40% of 2023 gross before AMWQ opened

Edited by M37

22 minutes ago, upriser7 said:

i didn't know Spring breaks already started in some parts of the country. It's usually in 2nd week of March near where I live

It’s not Spring Break, it’s Winter Break, timed with President’s Day (why I don’t know, but it exists)

• Like 1