Sophie

How many films will surpass $700M at the box office worldwide this year?

Is Taylor fucking Swift going to be the one to save 2023 box office?? 

Obviously should be very frontloaded, but I'm being told that she could get a $100 domestic opening. And from what I know, Taylor is also quite popular overseas. 

Wouldn't go as far as 700M yet. Say it opens to 120M. 275 domestic is about where I would expect it to end up (maybe less, maybe more, no clue). Can't imagine it also grossing 400-450M OS as well, for a concert movie. 

While these presales are impressive, I don't want to get my expectations out of hand. I remember one of my old staff members (one of the scary-level Swifties) was predicting Amsterdam a best picture win "maybe the biggest movie since Titanic" because Swift was in it. 

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, DAJK said:

Wouldn't go as far as 700M yet. Say it opens to 120M. 275 domestic is about where I would expect it to end up (maybe less, maybe more, no clue). Can't imagine it also grossing 400-450M OS as well, for a concert movie. 

While these presales are impressive, I don't want to get my expectations out of hand. I remember one of my old staff members (one of the scary-level Swifties) was predicting Amsterdam a best picture win "maybe the biggest movie since Titanic" because Swift was in it. 

What if it opens to 170m. 120m is too low IMO.

18 minutes ago, keysersoze123 said:

What if it opens to 170m. 120m is too low IMO.

Sure, but even then I don’t think it goes over 400. I probably shouldn’t talk about this unless I’m expecting 4B/13 oscar wins though, my friends are Swifties and I don’t want to lose them as such :lol: 

9 minutes ago, Celedhring said:

I know Swift is such a phenom that it's hard to gauge, but concert movies have never done too well internationally. It's not a thing we do. But again, Swifties.

I dunno, Bohemian Rhapsody is for all intents and purposes a concert movie :lol: 

BTS and MJ both made over 70% overseas. And that's about $190M overseas for MJ. 1D also made almost 60% overseas. 

A lot of these concert films aren't even released in very many overseas territories though. Hence why some of them make 90% of their gross domestic. 

Taylor, I've been told, will likely gradually release it overseas to match with her actual tour. 

I'd say a 50/50 split could be a reasonable expectation, assuming she puts effort into overseas territories.