GOGODanca

3/3 - 3/5 Weekend Thread | Creed III gets the biggest franchise opening and MGM opening ever with 58.7M. #AintMan drops 61% for 12.5M. Jonathan Majors still getting paid fat stacks

2 minutes ago, grey ghost said:

I didn't realize how strong Creed 3's OW was until I looked at Creed and Creed 2's OW.

They only made 29 m OW and 35 m OW.

50+ m is really good for the Creed series.

You can't ask for anything better than a trilogy that is more successful with every movie.

Both of those opened on Wednesday. 

3 minutes ago, grey ghost said:

I didn't realize how strong Creed 3's OW was until I looked at Creed and Creed 2's OW.

They only made 29 m OW and 35 m OW.

50+ m is really good for the Creed series.

You can't ask for anything better than a trilogy that is more successful with every movie.

Well I mean those movies came out on a Wednesday, so...

Depending on how high in the 50s it goes, wouldn’t be shocked to see Creed make a run for 200. Seems like it’s gonna be universally liked and March is pretty barren for appealing direct comp. Would be absolutely hilarious if it beat AM DOM, though that would still be very hard. 

Just now, scabab said:

So how likely with this $51 million or so opening is Creed 3 at surpassing Rocky 4's $125 million which has stood at the top of the franchise since 1985?

Only has to do 2.45 times its opening. See no reason why it would ever go below that.

• Like 1

AM3 looking likely to be the least attended MCU film ever DOM besides Eternals. And that really shouldn’t count bc it came out during the stretch where the covid effect on BO was still very big. So really this is their least successful film ever on a DOM scale. 

• Haha 1

https://deadline.com/2023/03/creed-iii-3-opening-weekend-international-box-office-1235278208/

SATURDAY UPDATE: MGM’s Creed III added another 19 overseas markets on Friday, taking the total to 75 now in release. Packing a punch, it grossed a further $10.1M yesterday, to lift the running cume to $17.1M through the first three days in offshore play. The Michael B Jordan-directed movie is now looking at a $35M+ weekend launch at the international box office. With domestic’s powerful performance, the global start is expected around $90M. Warner Bros is releasing overseas (save for the Nordics).

New on Friday was the UK with $1.9M and 63% of the Top 5 films. The launch day was more than double the first Creed and 61% ahead of Creed II.

Spain also stepped into the ring on Friday, with $640K and 60% market share of the Top 5 films. Opening day results are above Creed I by 49% and 13% over Creed II.

France held the Jordan, Jonathan Majors and Tessa Thompson-starrer at No. 1 for a $4.2M running cume. Germany is now at $1.8M, with Friday more than double Thursday’s bow. The threequel also held the top spot in Italy on Friday, nabbing a 70% share of the Top 5 pictures, and has a $1.3M cume to date.

Rounding out the Top 5 markets through Friday after France, the UK, Germany and Italy, is Mexico at $1M.

• Like 3

These Scream reactions are fantastic. Have they been influencing ticket sales today?

Excellent, excellent OW for Creed. Hopefully Shazam 2 can maybe not be a total disaster if reactions are good. D&D...we'll see about that with its $151m budget.

1 hour ago, MovieMan89 said:

Depending on how high in the 50s it goes, wouldn’t be shocked to see Creed make a run for 200. Seems like it’s gonna be universally liked and March is pretty barren for appealing direct comp. Would be absolutely hilarious if it beat AM DOM, though that would still be very hard. 

probably not. Even the first Creed didn't have amazing legs and that was a holiday release

• Like 1

Creed is gonna have a lot of competition for the male audience with Wick, Shazam and even D&D in next couple weeks plus it was around 38% premium screens and those will i assume be gone next weekend for scream, i think 150m DOM is more likely than 200m

• Like 10

2 hours ago, Eric Creed said:

Again, it's legit cool to see a franchise like Rocky now go on long enough where its main character isn't needed anymore to sell tickets. I think this is the only franchise that is able to do that.

I agree, this is one of those very rare cases when legacy sequel created a young generation character people go to see without legacy characters in it. Many other legacy sequels couldn't do that and rely heavily on showing old faces.

Edited by Firepower
  • Like 2

1 minute ago, upriser7 said:

Bit surprised to see Creed 3's Cinemascore to be less than Creed 2. RT Verified audience score looks much better for Creed 3. Does anyone know what were Postrack numbers for Creed 2 ?

Creed 2 doesn't have a verified RT score.

• Like 1