GOGODanca

3/3 - 3/5 Weekend Thread | Creed III gets the biggest franchise opening and MGM opening ever with 58.7M. #AintMan drops 61% for 12.5M. Jonathan Majors still getting paid fat stacks

Estimating a -29% sun, may not be that much room to improve. I think 60 is possible though — it takes a 22.5% drop if you take friSat ests at face value but if they get revised up like 400k then a lot more wiggle room.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Spidey Freak said:

It's not the most head-scratch worthy decision Hollywood has ever made though. With the success of Critical Role and The Adventure Zone, I can see why some execs thought the IP might break out like Sonic/Jumanji 2 on the big screen with a strong script (which I'm hearing the movie has).

It does seem like a wrong gamble as D&D is still very niche despite those former podcasts and their various adaptations gaining popularity. It probably has the stigma against nerd culture properties that superhero stories previously had and managed to shake off.

Maybe they should have just cast Tom Holland and Zendaya 😛 

Nvm

Edited by Mulder
;)

3 minutes ago, Mulder said:

I'm honestly baffled this of all movies got reports of a strong script. The script's allegedly a pretty generic by the numbers MCU knock-off but with D&D window dressing. 

By the numbers MCU is a strong script.   

Just make sure to copy the right saga 💀

Just now, Favorite Fearless Legion said:

By the numbers MCU is a strong script.   

Just make sure to copy the right saga 💀

No copy's quite the same as the original it's copying lol

• Like 1

Honestly I feel like the amount of good will Creed built up over the years is underdiscussed. All 3 movies got solid critical and audience reception, with this feeling like the ultimate pay-off for that good will.

• Like 1

On 3/2/2023 at 11:59 PM, datpepper said:

To be fair though, Creed 1&2's openings were mid-week Thanksgiving openers. Although, 3 might go beyond what those would've been regardless. Admissions might be down from where 2 would've been at with a normal weekend, would someone be willing to run the math on that?

On 3/3/2023 at 12:22 AM, Favorite Fearless Legion said:

I haven’t gone super deep on translating Thanksgiving opens, but it had a 61M 7day. That would likely be a ballpark 45M Fri open (though the 7day is probably a  bit inflated).   

Had a 2.66x multiplexer from the 3day, and previews 32% of OD — taken together with a 3.2x true IM those would correspond to an Fri opening pattern of:

6M previews

13M true fri

41M true OW // 47M OW  

On a quick look say 42-46 with  fri open imo. Adjusted to 2023 atp like 52-57 so will probably be close on admits?

#gotThere

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Liiviig 1998 said:

Tbh I'm reserving judgement on DnD . Trailers were pretty fun . Don't know feel uncharted vibes from this.

If it's good n fun can see 30mish opening n 110ish-120ish Dom,  375-400m+ .

Personally I think the movie looks really good from everything ive seen. Your prediction wouldn't make it a bomb but it probably wouldn't be a success either. Dnd would really need to break out(go like $10-20-m over projections) like creed currently is to turn a profit and idk if that's possible with the current wom.

Paramount seems to have some level of confidence in the film as they are trying to get people to see it early. My guess is they want to get the positive wom out there before actual release to try an build up the buzz on release.

If I were Marvel I'd be pretty worried right about now. The chokehold they had on pop culture last decade is fading, and now we're starting to see a lot of different properties pull in big numbers, like Avatar, Top Gun, Puss in Boots and now Creed. Had Ant-Man 3 been well received I feel like we wouldn't be seeing such a big number for Creed 3 right now.

• Like 5
  • Haha 2

11 minutes ago, BadOlCatSylvester said:

If I were Marvel I'd be pretty worried right about now. The chokehold they had on pop culture last decade is fading, and now we're starting to see a lot of different properties pull in big numbers, like Avatar, Top Gun, Puss in Boots and now Creed. Had Ant-Man 3 been well received I feel like we wouldn't be seeing such a big number for Creed 3 right now.

They should be worried about Quantumania getting shit legs, not Creed 3's opening lol.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, grey ghost said:

He needs another franchise ASAP.

I'm guessing he'll be in the running for the black Superman movie.

Depending on how Creed 3 ends there will most definitely be a Creed 4.

He could direct static shock or direct & star in the val-zod project he was producing (although that one's for HBO Max so idk if he'd still want to star in it)