kayumanggi

TALK TO ME | 07.28.2023 | A24 | final gross: $48,299,436

Early screenings were held here in Malaysia. One of the rare A24 movie that have day-and-date release here. Early WOM is very positive, just like how the review score. Although there are some complain about the lack of jump scare. Not sure why A24 isn't pushing harder on this one.  

20230726-220530.jpg

Oh yeah, I really liked this. Not as much as say Scream VI or Evil Dead Rise but it's a blast to watch - especially with a packed audience. Really strong characters, great visuals, and a clever script that finds new ways to approach a relatively simple idea.

• Like 3

I had quite a bad screening experience with this, theatre had horrible sound and I probably missed a 1/5 of the spoken dialogue (even after asking them to turn it up) plus some people in the back would not stop chatting and taking pictures throughout the film. 

All that being said I thought it was the best horror film I’ve seen so far this year which speaks to it’s strengths. 

I grew up with the director’s videos on YouTube and just seeing them put out something this fully formed and professionally made is kind of mind blowing. 

For first time filmmakers they made a lot of the horror trailers we got before the film look amateur. 

On a surface level, the plot and concept are familiar but the approach and execution feels fresh enough to offer something new. 

The scares (especially the possessions) were genuinely thrilling and didn’t rely on jumps. It was surprising, shocking and fun in all the right places which elicited some of the most vocal audience reactions I’ve heard. 

Edited by FilmFincher

6 hours ago, kayumanggi said:

There are no dailies for this on BOM or the-numbers.

A24 normally only report their actual gross twice per week, sometime even once. One at the end of the weekend, and another round during end of mid-week.

TTM is gonna be the second highest grossing movie for A24 post-pandemic, behind EEAAO.

• Like 1