Borobudur

Weekdays thread Mar 20-Mar23

I expect its Thurs. decline to be worse. Wick 4 will kill its adult audience and D&D will take away families BEFORE Mario shows up.  

Interestingly its IMDB isn't THAT low, but it isn't the level that would actually indicate good enough WOM to save the movie.

17 minutes ago, Ledmonkey96 said:

Super pets made 93mil dom and 204mil WW. So i'm not really sure why they thought it'd make more before today.

Super Pets isn't really comparable. I think it was the only animated movie that did "okay" last summer (since Bad Guys/Puss had different slots and Lightyear bombed)

1 hour ago, MightyDargon said:

Super Pets isn't really comparable. I think it was the only animated movie that did "okay" last summer (since Bad Guys/Puss had different slots and Lightyear bombed)

Its an odd comp but I assume its being used as the last "DC" title and also one that didnt perform as close to original hopes (precovid).

5 minutes ago, narniadis said:

Its an odd comp but I assume its being used as the last "DC" title and also one that didnt perform as close to original hopes (precovid).

It's hard to find a good comp for Shazam 2, but I suspect Super Pets was just kids/families whereas Shazam 2 had some adults. Therefore Shazam would get more of a blow from Wick 4/D&D than Puss would if it was released in Shazam 2's slot.

30 minutes ago, PlatnumRoyce said:

Does anyone have a baseline for % audience that's parents/kids for something like Shazam?

Apparently, Deadline tried a comparison Sunday, but then didn't finish...the 18-34 demo for Shazam 2 shrunk as a percent, which means it really shrunk b/c the open did, too...so it probably has a certain, non-negligible family audience...

"The DC Captain Marvel received a B+ CinemaScore to the first title’s A, and pulled in less of the 18-34 demographic than chapter one, 56% to 64%."

https://deadline.com/2023/03/shazam-fury-of-the-gods-box-office-bomb-1235303827/