Eric Prime

John Wick: Chapter 4 (2023)

John Wick: Chapter 4 (2023)  

22 members have voted

1. 1. What'd You Think?

JW4 is a step up from bore feast JW3 in almost every way. The stunt is bigger, flashier, and most importantly, each fight and duel has a goal which allow you to care about the fight in the first place. 

Not only the stunt is remarkable, the cinematography is also at top notch. There are too many well choreographed, directed sequences that make this 3 hours a worthy journey.  

This reminded me a lot of like a really dense and delicious chocolate cake. First bite, amazing. Second bite, delicious. Third bite, it’s too much and I am gonna be sick. 

Too slow to start, and got too excessive at the end. The whole CGI nonsense with the cars in front of The Arc De Triomph could’ve been cut. Considering how GORGEOUS the previous hours worth of cinematography and fight choreography had been, this just felt like some out of place CGI/green screen whackfest. 

I also need this cinematographer to direct a musical ASAP. The long fluid takes of full body wide shots has me ASCENDING. 🥰🥰🥰

MVP was Donnie Yen. So magnetic and his movements are so fluid. 

Every movie should have Clancy Brown. 

Solid B+

• Like 3

Action was great particularly the top down flamethrower scene and the film was shot beautifully however a little bit overly long could have condensed the Berlin plot maybe and cut out 15-20 minutes. 

B+

• Like 1

There is such a thing as too much of a good thing.

But it doesn't matter.

Stunts - 90/100 | I like how the filmmakers just don't give a fuck at this point about having any kind of logic. John Wick will survive anything, do anything, it will be overlong, there will be too many of every single thing there can be too many of, and yet it's still gonna be great.

Narrative - 70/100 | Ian McShane steals the show as expected, but this time around the narrative is leaner (somehow, and in a movie that's 40 minutes longer than the previous one).

Fight Choreography - 93/100 | Yeah it's just great. I think the Paris street sequence was the worst, while the Osaka International was the best. At least in terms of fights. The one-take gunfight was also awesome.

Enjoyment - 75/100 | We get a glimpse here of assassins who fight among themselves instead of all of them being hellbent on killing John Wick as a group, and I think it should have been a part of the earlier movies too. Makes the action much more colorful when different parties have different wants instead of just the main character vs hordes of enemies with a single and unified purpose.

I loved Donnie Yen in this, I loved Scott Adkins in this, I loved Hiroyuki Sanada in this, I loved Marko Zaror in this. This is like a love letter to martial arts movie fans with lots of old school veterans, except with guns. 

And it's way too long. Usually I care, but not this time.

Hopefully we get another movie in this franchise one day.

B+

• Like 3

Best of the 4, and it's not even close, honestly.

The first three are already modern action classics in my book but this one felt grander and more poetic in a way the others just aren't. The franchise has always flirted with thematic depth as something that exists only when truly necessary but what I like about Chapter 4 is that it's an action movie about a man whose very nature is that of constant chaos and death. This is a man who runs into firefights and slaughters everybody and is the best at what he does, but the question remains of when will he stop? Will he even stop?

Action scenes are works of art. The last 40 minutes alone are some of the best stunt work ever conceived in modern Hollywood, and that top down dragon's breath sequence is probably the longest I've ever had my jaw on the floor. I know they are making more after this, but I was kind of hoping that this is the last one. It's phenomenal and deserving of most of the praise it's been getting.

2 hours ago, interiorgatordecorator said:

another wonderful 7/10

same exact score as all the other wicks

Its pretty fun and has some very cool scenes, but the formula has gotten a bit stale and 5 needs to bring some big changes

The paris scene (other than the duel) isn't really anything we haven't seen before, vehicular action is pretty much the only new thing about this movie, and because of that it began to feel kinda unnecessary 

should have been 15 min shorter, some of the fights felt a little long

post-credit scene is pretty mean

what a tedious, boring movie ... stretching the lean revenge script (which might have served for an ok 1-hour-actioner) to Fellowship-of-the-Ring length was a terrible idea, and as a whole I was not sure if this was supposed to be some kind of self-spoof or taken seriously (but given the running time, I suspect the latter).

CGI was too over-the-top too, but that's just my personal taste; most of those HDR scenes seemed like taken out from some shooter game - maybe I'm too old for that kind of aestethics.

• Like 2

I enjoyed this movie more than the last two but this series has always been so much better on paper than in reality. The problem, I think, is that dialogue scenes basically suck but the films seems to think they’re iconic. The movies also turn to shit when cgi worms its way in and you might as well be watching a cartoon. And that happens a lot. 

Edited by Hatebox
  • Like 2