Eric the Minion

THE SUPER MARIO BROS MOVIE WEEKEND THREAD

7 minutes ago, DAJK said:

Hopefully this makes Universal reconsider putting FNAF day-and-date streaming. It’s not getting anywhere near Mario numbers even with an exclusive theatrical run, but it could easily do Megan numbers.

Also as a Gen-Z myself, and probably the forum’s resident tiktoker, Barbie is going to be massive. It’s this year’s Rise of Gru. Wont be AS big as that film, but a 75/230 run wouldn’t surprise me.

Hmm, curious why you think it can’t go much higher though it you also see the huge Gen Z appeal? Bc I’m seeing that and Millennial. And honestly, female in general. 

16 minutes ago, stuart360 said:

The thing with Barbie is isnt it something more for girls and women?. I mean i dont have kids and dont know how kids think these days, but in my day a male kid wouldnt be seen dead going to see Barbie lol.

Any male who doesn't go see Barbie on opening day is gay.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 5

Still dont think Mario will have the legs some of you seem to be expecting.

I think if it hits 200mil for the 5 day, then 2.5x legs to get around 500mil will be IMO very good for it, and very fair.

I think some of you are not being very fair with your expectations (600+mil).

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Maggie said:

The main problem with Barbie is weather it will attract little girls. Look what children have done this weekend with Mario

No, that´s why Barbie will open 100M lower, not that it matters when the comparisson is looking like 220M OW 

2 minutes ago, Maggie said:

The main problem with Barbie is weather it will attract little girls. Look what children have done this weekend with Mario

At this point I’d say it’s more a detriment if they’re going for kids here. They can have gen z/millennial fully on board if they play into them like it looks like they are. Whereas kids were always going to be a hard sell for barbie in 2023 

2 minutes ago, MovieMan89 said:

At this point I’d say it’s more a detriment if they’re going for kids here. They can have gen z/millennial fully on board if they play into them like it looks like they are. Whereas kids were always going to be a hard sell for barbie in 2023 

Don't kids play with barbies anymore?

12 minutes ago, MovieMan89 said:

Hmm, curious why you think it can’t go much higher though it you also see the huge Gen Z appeal? Bc I’m seeing that and Millennial. And honestly, female in general. 

It won’t be 4-quad the way Mario is. Unless the marketing shifts, I can’t see many people over 35 or so being really hyped to watch it. Mario has kids begging their parents to bring them, which Barbie won’t have. A kid who wants to see Mario, that’s 3-4 tickets sold right there. A 15-25 year old who wants to see Barbie, that’s 1 ticket.

Not the most sound logic, but I don’t think the potential is quite there yet to break into Uber-blockbuster territory. LEGO movie seems like a fair bar.

EDIT: plus the Barbie brand isn’t as relevant today as Mario is (at least from a marketing and branding perspective).

Edited by DAJK
  • Like 4

1 minute ago, DAJK said:

It won’t be 4-quad the way Mario is. Unless the marketing shifts, I can’t see many people over 35 or so being really hyped to watch it. Mario has kids begging their parents to bring them, which Barbie won’t have. A kid who wants to see Mario, that’s 3-4 tickets sold right there. A 15-25 year old who wants to see Barbie, that’s 1 ticket.

Not the most sound logic, but I don’t think the potential is quite there yet to break into Uber-blockbuster territory. LEGO movie seems like a fair bar.

Agreed kids won’t be huge for it, but I just don’t think that’s a necessity for something like 400+ DOM. 

3 minutes ago, MovieMan89 said:

Gen alpha barley have any comprehension of what a toy is.

I work at Target. I work in the toys section a lot. This is not even remotely true lmao. We also have a lot of Barbie dolls. It's probably our biggest toy outside of Disney Princess.

• Like 1

Spiderverse could also muck up my Barbie wins summer predictions. I really don’t know what to do with that movie bc half of me thinks we have a Batman Begins to TDK situation where the first has just gained too much prestige over the years for the sequel to not explode, and the other half of me thinks it’s still more of a “niche” cult following situation. 

• Like 1