Eric the Minion

THE SUPER MARIO BROS MOVIE WEEKEND THREAD

2 minutes ago, Brainbug said:

Scream 6 is having an excellent run. To increase 25M+ from Scream 5 only a year later bodes well for the future.

but staying flat internationally, kinda weird

• Sad 1

39 minutes ago, interiorgatordecorator said:

Slasher movies have a history of generally poor performances OS. So Scream 6 not increasing isnt that surprising, the main market for these films is the DOM one.

Edited by Brainbug
  • Like 2

146.36M | 204.63M | THE SUPER MARIO BROS. MOVIE

014.47M | 146.93M | JOHN WICK IV

014.46M | 020.20M | AIR

013.88M | 061.66M | DUNGEONS & DRAGONS: HONOR AMONG THIEVES

003.43M | 103.96M | SCREAM VI

002.81M | 010.60M | HIS ONLY SON

002.76M | 153.22M | CREED III

001.56M | 056.56M | SHAZAM! FURY OF THE GODS

Come on, guys. Watch D&D, please. 🙁

Edited by kayumanggi
  • Like 5

2 hours ago, keysersoze123 said:

Mario monday is looking really strong. Should have really good drop today. 

Kinda want to hear more from you or Charlie on this. There’s a LOT of variance on what the number could be today; Sonic 2 last year only dropped 33% whole BvS dropped 55%.

10 minutes ago, OceanBlvd said:

Do adults really go see Frozen and Dory? Incredibles 2 benefited from releasing around the peak of comic book movies. I could see that being the case. The Lion King is old but still younger than Mario.

I mean Mario as a brand has always had cross-generational appeal. The movie even more so, tbh. Pure nostalgia bait. That’s the major difference between this and something like Minions. Mario Movie is a family movie that has comic book-like fandom and adult interest, which confirmed everyone’s suspicion after the big opening weekend.

In fact, a lot of video game adaptations are adult-fueled. White males, especially. D&D movie, for example, while not really a game, falls into the same category. A big obstacle for video game adaptation is to appeal to people outside of that bubble.

I think a lot of adults, especially young adults, watched Dory... It came out 13 years after Nemo. Kids and teens now in their later teens and early thirties when Dory came out definitely went back to see the sequel. 

18 minutes ago, OceanBlvd said:

Do adults really go see Frozen and Dory? Incredibles 2 benefited from releasing around the peak of comic book movies. I could see that being the case. The Lion King is old but still younger than Mario.

I mean Mario as a brand has always had cross-generational appeal. The movie even more so, tbh. Pure nostalgia bait. That’s the major difference between this and something like Minions. Mario Movie is a family movie that has comic book-like fandom and adult interest, which confirmed everyone’s suspicion after the big opening weekend.

In fact, a lot of video game adaptations are adult-fueled. White males, especially. The D&D movie, for example, while not really a game, falls into the same category. A big obstacle for video game adaptation is to appeal to people outside of that bubble. For the most part, they failed to do that, hence the so-called video game movie curse.

I think kid animation that appeals to adults can be four quadrant whereas the target audience for video games is typically narrow, just the group who loved playing the game.

1 hour ago, interiorgatordecorator said:

you forgot that scream vi wasnt released in russia, belarus, and definitely less people watched it in ukraine. So if scream v grossed less than 52 mln minus belarus, russia and ukraine scream vi is already 10 percent up. 

3 minutes ago, superduperm said:

Kinda want to hear more from you or Charlie on this. There’s a LOT of variance on what the number could be today; Sonic 2 last year only dropped 33% whole BvS dropped 55%.

Sonic was in its 2nd weekend and so BO was smaller. BvS is definitely comparable in sense that it was a big opener during Easter weekend. 

That said I dont have any precise number. Its going to be driven by walkups and its still early. Charlie will hopefully update and I know Empire cannot help provide a number as well. So we should have something precise soon. I will say how it dropped at MTC1 but it may not be exact as weekdays could overindex. Looking at past 3 days, friday under indexed while sat/sun did over index. Sat especially was a surprise as that is when smaller chains tend to do its best. 

1 hour ago, Brainbug said:

Slasher movies have a history of generally poor performances OS. So Scream 6 not increasing isnt that surprising, the main market for these films is the DOM one.

The only tine a scream movie did better internationally then domestic was scream 4...and that's cause scream 4 did less then 40 million domestic 

Edited by screambaby

21 minutes ago, interiorgatordecorator said:

LOL, ViewerAnon has to be responding to melodramatics like this:

The most dispiriting aspect of my screening experience stemmed from the ebullient eight-year-olds sitting behind me, who blurted out every game-related Easter egg and chortled at the mindless gameplay-as-movie routine pretty much the whole way through. It hit all their buttons without the slightest effort to challenge or enlighten them in the process; it also left me, an optimist who searches for the potential of movies to thrive wherever they can, wondering if the next generation would rather watch them burn.

Critics and culture writers, being totally normal about the Super Mario movie...

Edited by BoxOfficeFangrl
  • Haha 1

11 minutes ago, BoxOfficeFangrl said:

Critics and culture writers, being totally normal about the Super Mario movie...

It´s a totally fair thinking lol , thinking about what movies represents and what they say about our current cultural prospects are something that must be discussed, even if it doesn´t really matter for the final audience it doesn´t mean it´s a useless discussion

It´s clearly not totally about Mario as a movie and more about what it represents culturally and from an industry perspective and it´s relationship with new generations, part of the article is not even talking about the movie, just about the experience of seeing kids watching it and to what they react

And the interview with Lowery is absolutely amazing, he have some really good answers 

Edited by ThomasNicole
  • Like 4

2 hours ago, kayumanggi said:

146.36M | 204.63M | THE SUPER MARIO BROS. MOVIE

014.47M | 146.93M | JOHN WICK IV

014.46M | 020.20M | AIR

013.88M | 061.66M | DUNGEONS & DRAGONS: HONOR AMONG THIEVES

003.43M | 103.96M | SCREAM VI

002.76M | 153.22M | CREED III

001.56M | 056.56M | SHAZAM! FURY OF THE GODS

Come on, guys. Watch D&D, please. 🙁

Don't worry, they'll blame marketing again, it's a universal excuse at this point.

• Like 2

21 minutes ago, BoxOfficeFangrl said:

I don’t get how anything Lowery or Kohn are saying is over-dramatic or even wrong.

• Knock It Off 1