Eric is Quiet

THE SUPER MARIO BROS MOVIE WEEKEND THREAD

4 minutes ago, Flamengo81 said:

That makes sense and I saw it in other places. But why the hell there are two completely different numbers for it's opening weekend? 

No idea. Domestic opening was like 191 so maybe their math was off plus they were confusing 'imternational ' and ',worldwide'

Edited by screambaby

6 minutes ago, Flamengo81 said:

That makes sense and I saw it in other places. But why the hell there are two completely different numbers for it's opening weekend? 

I think that is because the international release was not simultaneous. China opened a week before everyone else.

2 hours ago, Brainbug said:

Only two real challengers imo:

1. Indy 5. If the movie is great (and i personally trust in Mangold) and delivers what Indy 4 failed for many to do, the sky is the limit for it. Ive made a 550M+ DOM club for that one for a reason.

Id say 40% chance at outgrossing Mario.

2. The Little Mermaid. Far less likely to have any chance at catching Mario imo, but also not 100% impossible if the film is great - which i actually doubt since all of these live-action remakes feel soulless to me, but there certainly is a massive audience for it.

Id say 5% chance for it.

I see no other movies this year with the potential to do it.

Indy 5 has to be TGM on steroids with the over 40 crowd to go that high. I just don’t see the younger appeal really being there. 

• Community Manager
2 hours ago, RobrtmanAStarWarsReference said:

Honestly?

Nothing. There are no movies coming this year that truly have a chance

Beware the songbird and the snakes,

destiny forces the dial,

a flash of worlds,

but it all comes down to family

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

10 minutes ago, excel1 said:

So...wtf went so right here? Serious and honest question.

01. Mario has been a beloved and iconic character for 4 decades now. Everyone - even if you dont play any of the games - knows the character. Across all 4 quadrants, people knew/know what to expect with this movie.

02. Right timing - Easter Weekend was perfect for a family movie like this and Puss in Boots 2 has been the last family/animated movie for months know, so the demand was already high, but especially high for this weekend.

03. Great marketing - there was no escaping the trailers and tv spots for this. Awareness that it was coming out was really high. Especially so ofc among the gamer community, which i probably dont have to say, is a rather large one.

04. They made a critic-proof movie. Audience response so far is stellar across the board, which means the movie does exactly that, what it promises: Its a fun ride for the whole family. WOM never travelled faster than today and people spread the word.

• Like 5
  • Heart 1

26 minutes ago, MovieMan89 said:

Indy 5 has to be TGM on steroids with the over 40 crowd to go that high. I just don’t see the younger appeal really being there. 

I see your point, but i also woundt count out younger people beeing excited for this movie. Indiana Jones as a character and franchise is still a big part of modern pop culture and seeing your first Indy movie in theaters may proof to be very enticing for people who were too young for Kingdom of the Crystal Skull.

However, that is all speculation from my side, mixed in with some hope. Its entirely possible that the film fails to connect with a 4-quadrant-audience and has to settle in the 300M range instead of the 500M+ one. But i do feel like if there is 1 movie on the 2023 slate that has a not-impossible chance at catching Mario, it would have to be Indy.

44 minutes ago, Borobudur said:

I think that is because the international release was not simultaneous. China opened a week before everyone else.

From what I have looked China was the only one that released earlier and was not accounted for the 446M number.

• Like 1

I think Mario takes the year since it should be pretty close to locked for a $500M+ total at this point (though waiting to see how big the second weekend drop is first before saying its guarantee) and looking at the rest of the year I don't think there's anything that could really come out of nowhere with the element of "surprise!" the way this did (the movies expected to make big money for the remainder of 2023 already have those large expectations attached to them, leaving just as much room for potential disappointment should they underwhelm).

7 minutes ago, Brainbug said:

I see your point, but i also woundt count out younger people beeing excited for this movie. Indiana Jones as a character and franchise is still a big part of modern pop culture and seeing your first Indy movie in theaters may proof to be very enticing for people who were too young for Kingdom of the Crystal Skull.

However, that is all speculation from my side, mixed in with some hope. Its entirely possible that the film fails to connect with a 4-quadrant-audience and has to settle in the 300M range instead of the 500M+ one. But i do feel like if there is 1 movie on the 2023 slate that has a not-impossible chance at catching Mario, it would have to be Indy.

Are you talking about just domestic or worlwide, Dinossaur man?

2 minutes ago, Flamengo81 said:

Are you talking about just domestic or worlwide, Dinossaur man?

DOM. If Indy 5 would only do 300 (or even) 500M Worldwide, i would lose hope for humanity and my prediction skills in all honesty.

11 minutes ago, Brainbug said:

DOM. If Indy 5 would only do 300 (or even) 500M Worldwide, i would lose hope for humanity and my prediction skills in all honesty.

LOL

Indy 5 is just a complete wild card to me. This movie and The Flash I just have no idea how they will play out.

• Like 4

55 minutes ago, excel1 said:

So...wtf went so right here? Serious and honest question.

they rallied and mobilized the troops (of nintendrones), plus kids are always going to watch the latest illumination movie, especially if it has a character they know

Edited by interiorgatordecorator