kayumanggi

Weekdays Thread | April 10 - 13 | Thursday Numbers | 9.87M THE SUPER MARIO BROS. MOVIE | 1.04M JOHN WICK IV | 1.02M AIR | 0.96M D&D

14 minutes ago, Issac Newton said:

Did $105M China &$106M Japan.. can't be called a small movie..

FYI, Sony gave PLF to Suzume only after seeing Suzume's performance in Asia where it did close to $268M.

We have a 200m OW grosser in Day 9 and its weird to see it not hold its Imax screen for at least 2 weeks. its not a slight on Suzume. but here in North America its not going to gross that much. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, TwoMisfits said:

Sony is NOT getting full Imax for Suzume.  In my area at all the Imaxes selling on Atom, Mario keeps all IMAX showings before 6pm...so Suzume gets the last 2 of the night and Mario gets the 1st 3 of the day, plus every other PLF...

It's not even particularly unusual, anime movies like this, or Belle last year and most of the big action ones have been screen sharing IMAX for a long time. 

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, keysersoze123 said:

We have a 200m OW grosser in Day 9 and its weird to see it not hold its Imax screen for at least 2 weeks. its not a slight on Suzume. but here in North America its not going to gross that much. 

I remember back in 2012, The Avengers broke the opening weekend record and still lost IMAX to Dark Shadows in week 2, strange days they were. 

9 minutes ago, TwoMisfits said:

Sony is NOT getting full Imax for Suzume.  In my area at all the Imaxes selling on Atom, Mario keeps all IMAX showings before 6pm...so Suzume gets the last 2 of the night and Mario gets the 1st 3 of the day, plus every other PLF...

Edit to add: And now I notice a few are keeping Mario fully on the Imax, but I think those skipped booking Suzume at all...

I didn't mean that depth. But, IMAX Release is usually preferred only after seeing Foreign Country Performance by Sony. Yeah, I get that it will not be getting all that IMAX shows but why it's bothering some from having a few. Will it be a problematic or shouldn't Sony try at all, just avoid giving an anime IMAX release because we have a $200M Film doing big numbers. Not fair. IMAX isn't only for Big Grossers. &After all, it's Audiences Reception that keep those Screens.

Edited by Issac Newton

1 minute ago, Issac Newton said:

I didn't mean that depth. But, IMAX Release is usually preferred only after seeing Foreign Country Performance by Sony. Yeah, I get that it will not be getting all that IMAX shows but why it's bothering some from having a few. Will it be a problematic or shouldn't Sony try at all, just avoid giving an anime IMAX release because we have a $200M Film doing big numbers. Not fair. IMAX isn't only for Big Grossers. &After all, it's Audiences Reception that keep those Screens.

The IMAX releases for anime are generally pretty consistent, this is the third Shinkai movie to get an IMAX release in the west, Demon Slayer, Jujutsu Kaisen, Dragon Ball and Sword Art Online movies have all had IMAX releases as well. It's not so much dependent on how an individual release has done in Japan, it's more how the last titles have performed. Given Sony own Crunchyroll, I'd imagine how titles perform on there gave a bearing over how big a push they get as well. 

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, SchumacherFTW said:

The IMAX releases for anime are generally pretty consistent, this is the third Shinkai movie to get an IMAX release in the west, Demon Slayer, Jujutsu Kaisen, Dragon Ball and Sword Art Online movies have all had IMAX releases as well. It's not so much dependent on how an individual release has done in Japan, it's more how the last titles have performed. Given Sony own Crunchyroll, I'd imagine how titles perform on there gave a bearing over how big a push they get as well. 

I thought Indian movie also getting IMAX screen on the regular basis. 

1 minute ago, Borobudur said:

I thought Indian movie also getting IMAX screen on the regular basis. 

That's generally in select markets with a big Indian population, and day and date with an Indian release. Anime definitely goes wider than those Indian movies.