kayumanggi

Weekdays Thread | April 10 - 13 | Thursday Numbers | 9.87M THE SUPER MARIO BROS. MOVIE | 1.04M JOHN WICK IV | 1.02M AIR | 0.96M D&D

1 hour ago, superduperm said:

For Mario’s 2nd weekend? That would be a disappointing collapse. Even an $18M Friday with a 59% Saturday increase and a 33% Sunday drop gets it to $66M.

Right now I’ve got it pencilled in for $20M Friday and $75M 2nd weekend, and I will likely stick with that until we get the Friday number.

Don't take anything they say seriously. They've been prying for Mario's downfall for months now.  

Edited by cooldude97
  • Like 1

53 minutes ago, keysersoze123 said:

If I have to guess it should have done 10.5-11 range but this difficult. I could be off for sure. 

In other words, it appears to be a normal movie now that the early pent up holiday is past. Should lead to a good Friday/Saturday then. 

Appreciate the insight. 

9 hours ago, keysersoze123 said:

FYI Suzume is taking imax shows at many places. That is really weird as that is a small movie. I wonder why Mario could not lock up Imax for at least 2 weeks. At least at MTC1 I see a drop of 15% of shows tomorrow. Friday show counts are ahead of today and so its good for 2nd weekend. So loss of Imax and fewer shows means I expecting a non trivial drop tomorrow(~10%). 

We weebs love to watch anime in PLF, and Suzume isn't a small movie in our circles. 

55 minutes ago, SchumacherFTW said:

We weebs love to watch anime in PLF, and Suzume isn't a small movie in our circles. 

Especially a Shinkai film, which are renowned for their gorgeous animation and visuals.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, cooldude97 said:

i know it's going to be a much better movie than Mario, but looking at Twitter, it's insane how many people expect across the spider-verse to make more than Mario 

People on twitter don´t know shit about box office, but think they are experts. Living in their bubble without a sense of how anything actually works in the world. Some people said yesterday that they think Spider-Verse can make 600M+ domestic...

Edited by thajdikt
  • Haha 7

2 hours ago, SchumacherFTW said:

I learned the term Koreaboo when Squid Game was a thing... And, now, I've learned the term weeb. See... Old people can learn new stuff. Actually, I'm not even that old but still. 

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, JohnnyGossamer said:

I learned the term Koreaboo when Squid Game was a thing... And, now, I've learned the term weeb. See... Old people can learn new stuff. Actually, I'm not even that old but still. 

It’s short for weeaboo.

• Thanks 1

20 minutes ago, eddyxx said:

It’s short for weeaboo.

There it is... I've learned something else now. Are there any other "aboos" out there I should know for any other nations in Asia that popular culture is borne out of... Is there a term for people that love movies out of Hong Kong and/or mainland China?

It's been 25 years since Titanic made 600+ and 15 years since TDK made 500+, and we still haven't had a movie land in the 550-600 range. Is Mario going to be the one that finally does it?

In fact, with SM NWH releasing 1.5 years ago, every 50 million bracket up to 950 has at least movie, except for the 550-600 bracket. 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Gokai Red said:

It's been 25 years since Titanic made 600+ and 15 years since TDK made 500+, and we still haven't had a movie land in the 550-600 range. Is Mario going to be the one that finally does it?

In fact, with SM NWH releasing 1.5 years ago, every 50 million bracket up to 950 has at least movie, except for the 550-600 bracket. 

In fact, there isn't any $500m movie in between 2008-2016 when Rogue One hit that range. Those years are the year when a movie pass 500m that would mean they will pass 600m too.

• Astonished 1

18 hours ago, keysersoze123 said:

FYI Suzume is taking imax shows at many places. That is really weird as that is a small movie. I wonder why Mario could not lock up Imax for at least 2 weeks. At least at MTC1 I see a drop of 15% of shows tomorrow. Friday show counts are ahead of today and so its good for 2nd weekend. So loss of Imax and fewer shows means I expecting a non trivial drop tomorrow(~10%). 

Did $105M China &$106M Japan.. can't be called a small movie..

FYI, Sony gave PLF to Suzume only after seeing Suzume's performance in Asia where it did close to $268M.

17 minutes ago, Issac Newton said:

Did $105M China &$106M Japan.. can't be called a small movie..

FYI, Sony gave PLF to Suzume only after seeing Suzume's performance in Asia where it did close to $268M.

Sony is NOT getting full Imax for Suzume.  In my area at all the Imaxes selling on Atom, Mario keeps all IMAX showings before 6pm...so Suzume gets the last 2 of the night and Mario gets the 1st 3 of the day, plus every other PLF...

Edit to add: And now I notice a few are keeping Mario fully on the Imax, but I think those skipped booking Suzume at all...

Edited by TwoMisfits