Eric Lasagna

WGA/SAGAFTRA Strike Discussion Thread | SAG Ratifies Contract

That’s the kind of W I came to expect from Chris Nolan. That’s how you get the respect of people that work on your film. More of this, please:

Also, no one can tell me that Mark Ruffalo isn’t a real life superhero. He literally managed to assemble ALL the Avengers last year to campaign against Bolsonaro on his attempt to take down Brazil’s democracy last year. Helping stop a dictator to ascend to power to the point of no return is the exact type of superhero shit I never thought it would happen, but it did. All of them lended their voices to actually tweet in Brazilian Portuguese close to the election and never mind international interference, we truly need that to happen to save us from the path we were almost damned to go. I feel like I wouldn’t like to meet most of Hollywood people, but Mark is one of the few exceptions.

Edited by ZattMurdock
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, ZattMurdock said:

I don’t even know who this person is. But it’s a solid point, what did he do?

He just generally isn't very well-informed on anything but still goes on rage-filled threads attacking other critics, most users on film-twitter and preaches for eugenics every other day. It's incredibly, insanely doubtful that he'd have anything meaningful to say on the strikes since he's not much more than a grifter and doesn't have much knowledge of the industry. So, just imagine an angrier, less intelligible version of emp*recity and then you'd get him

• Like 4
  • ...wtf 1

11 minutes ago, ZattMurdock said:

I don’t even know who this person is. But it’s a solid point, what did he do?

I think he's a citizen journalist movie critic who's super toxic on Twitter. 

Edited by FunkMiller
  • Like 2

9 hours ago, DAR said:

@Plain Old Tele  I wanted to ask you something about this thread.  The author mentions streaming vs broadcast residuals.  My main live tv viewing is through Hulu’s live tv option. If I were to watch Villains of Valley View would that count as a streaming view or a Disney Channel network viewing?

That’s a really good question, and I have no idea.

• Thanks 1

Folks are falling for the budget discussions hook, line, and sinker. How can we have a serious discussion about how actors and writers need to be paid their dues, but in the next breath continue to talk about how budgets are too high and that streaming services will fold, or even worse, need to fold? 

I hate MovieBob but he has a point and the fact that so many folks want to say "don't post him here" instead of talking about what he's saying is very telling.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, TMP said:

He just generally isn't very well-informed on anything but still goes on rage-filled threads attacking other critics, most users on film-twitter and preaches for eugenics every other day. It's incredibly, insanely doubtful that he'd have anything meaningful to say on the strikes since he's not much more than a grifter and doesn't have much knowledge of the industry. So, just imagine an angrier, less intelligible version of emp*recity and then you'd get him

@ZattMurdock I have a friend who had a run-in with him on twitter a year or so ago. This is 100% correct

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

17 minutes ago, MysteryMovieMogul said:

Folks are falling for the budget discussions hook, line, and sinker. How can we have a serious discussion about how actors and writers need to be paid their dues, but in the next breath continue to talk about how budgets are too high and that streaming services will fold, or even worse, need to fold? 

I hate MovieBob but he has a point and the fact that so many folks want to say "don't post him here" instead of talking about what he's saying is very telling.

I mean the AI proposal is enough strike on alone. 

1 minute ago, Reddroast said:

@ZattMurdock I have a friend who had a run-in with him on twitter a year or so ago. This is 100% correct

While that seems to be true, I think it’s diverting of what they actually said here and they do have a great point there, exactly like @MysteryMovieMogulput it. I’m just kinda weirded out by TMP’s eugenics remark there because if it’s this:

It ain’t it. I can see the dude being an asshole, but come on now, this is a bit of a flourish to say the least, neither attacks the point that well, what he said on the post I’ve quoted is 100%. Everything else I learned about this dude now I learned against my will, like us Brazilians like to say lol. 

28 minutes ago, MysteryMovieMogul said:

I personally think that the studios could probably save money on production if they had competent people at the helm and as a result also have money left over to pay their employees. Even James Gunn pointed out that nowadays big movies start filming without finished scripts with directors who are unprepared. You then end up with longer shoots and potentially months of reshoots. Because of this the VFX people have to also work overtime because the directors and producers don't know what they want because nothing is ever locked. Right now the budget that everybody is talking about is the Secret Invasion one (213M total or 35M per episode making it the third highest reported per episode budget only after Citadel and LOTR). But they did months of reshoots on it. No wonder that it's that high. It all goes back to nobody giving a shit about the script or scriptwriters, thinking that they'll just wing it while shooting. A recent example of a similar thing happening was Citadel (a 200M budget ballooned to 300M). I get improvising on set and doing pick-ups but rewriting and reshooting large parts of your show/movie after principal photography has wrapped is just not a smart way to spend money.  

Edited by DInky
  • Like 1

Just like clockwork, the online hit-pieces on budgets are now going after the actors: https://fandomwire.com/samuel-l-jacksons-secret-invasion-salary-is-so-colossally-high-the-rest-4-stars-combined-get-half-his-paycheck/

No one is talking about the budgets of shows like Stranger Things, or Severance, or shows that don't get people riled up.

Did you know Severance cost about $20 million per episode? That would be $180 million for its nine-episode first season. I'm not saying that show's budget should be weaponized, I'm saying it's interesting that only certain shows' budgets matter to "journalists."

• Like 1

Just now, MysteryMovieMogul said:

Just like clockwork, the online hit-pieces on budgets are now going after the actors: https://fandomwire.com/samuel-l-jacksons-secret-invasion-salary-is-so-colossally-high-the-rest-4-stars-combined-get-half-his-paycheck/

No one is talking about the budgets of shows like Stranger Things, or Severance, or shows that don't get people riled up.

Did you know Severance cost about $20 million per episode? That would be $180 million for its nine-episode first season. I'm not saying that show's budget should be weaponized, I'm saying it's interesting that only certain shows' budgets matter to "journalists."

Okay, this is fucking disgusting.

Also, Secret Invasion has some of the most insightful and sharp dialogues that we have on literally ANYTHING made in the superhero genre other than Watchmen. The commentaries about race, the Skrull analogy with Black people and the amount of just top notch acting and delivery this show has is above a lot of the superhero fluff, so yeah, give me more Nick Fury, Disney+. Pay these actors and writers their worth and their fucking residuals too.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, ZattMurdock said:

Okay, this is fucking disgusting.

Also, Secret Invasion has some of the most insightful and sharp dialogues that we have on literally ANYTHING made in the superhero genre other than Watchmen. The commentaries about race, the Skrull analogy with Black people and the amount of just top notch acting and delivery this show has is above a lot of the superhero fluff, so yeah, give me more Nick Fury, Disney+. Pay these actors and writers their worth and their fucking residuals too.

Also, the de-aging tech used on Nick Fury, as well as the Skrull transformation sequences look remarkably high quality. Better than in Captain Marvel. But, I digress...

The Studios knew they would weaponize budgets, so they've been leaking the budgets of shows they know online communities are fighting about.

Want to know how much Stranger Things season 4 cost? $270 million. But I did a search on Twitter and no one is talking about it at all. No one is talking about Severance's budget either. Interesting, right?

• Thanks 1

18 minutes ago, MysteryMovieMogul said:

If the actors who were scanned got paid for every use of their scan, they wouldn't care about AI. The issue is money, not AI. The writers want to be paid their dues. So do actors.

The issue is also AI and technology. With a few months of digitally scanned extras the need for new background actors would be diminished to almost zero. SAG wants a future where background actors can exist. 

• Like 2

18 minutes ago, DInky said:

I personally think that the studios could probably save money on production if they had competent people at the helm and as a result also have money left over to pay their employees. Even James Gunn pointed out that nowadays big movies start filming without finished scripts with directors who are unprepared. You then end up with longer shoots and potentially months of reshoots. Because of this the VFX people have to also work overtime because the directors and producers don't know what they want because nothing is ever locked. Right now the budget that everybody is talking about is the Secret Invasion one (213M total or 35M per episode making it the third highest reported per episode budget only after Citadel and LOTR). But they did months of reshoots on it. No wonder that it's that high. It all goes back to nobody giving a shit about the script or scriptwriters, thinking that they'll just wing it while shooting. A recent example of a similar thing happening was Citadel (a 200M budget ballooned to 300M). I get improvising on set and doing pick-ups but rewriting and reshooting large parts of your show/movie after principal photography has wrapped is just not a smart way to spend money.  

My bigger point is, no one actually cares about ballooning budgets. They only care about the number of likes or clicks they can get for ganging up on Marvel. If budgets were a concern, we'd be talking about EVERY show's budget, not just a select few.

Also, notice how absolutely zero members of SAG or the WGA (as far as I can tell) are talking budgets? That's all outsiders.