Eric Lasagna

WGA/SAGAFTRA Strike Discussion Thread | SAG Ratifies Contract

22 minutes ago, filmlover said:

Literally the only reason people are losing their minds over this Drew case is because she's still considered an actress first and foremost (and even was a certified movie star for a while) and has been seen as such for almost her entire life. You don't see such handwringing over The View because 1) the closest to a movie star among the hosts (Whoopi) has been a supporting/bit player on the acting side for eons and 2) the show is famous for its drama among the hosts too juicy to be scripted that often goes viral.

I think The View also has a more established reputation as being a news/issue show, whereas Drew Barrymore's show includes certain scripted comedic bits a la late night talk shows. At least that's my impression given it apparently had writers.

Will say these reports of picketers getting kicked out of her audience aren't a great look for her. If you want to come back, you should be prepared to stand in solidarity with your colleagues and be willing to give them a platform.  

Edited by AniNate

1 hour ago, filmlover said:

Literally the only reason people are losing their minds over this Drew case is because she's still considered an actress first and foremost (and even was a certified movie star for a while) and has been seen as such for almost her entire life. You don't see such handwringing over The View because 1) the closest to a movie star among the hosts (Whoopi) has been a supporting/bit player on the acting side for eons and 2) the show is famous for its drama among the hosts too juicy to be scripted that often goes viral.

The same thing happened to Ellen during the last 2007 WGA strike when she explained that contractually she had to come in and do her show and WGA piled on her for doing. 

Have to say, some of the fellow actors such as Bradley Whitford should think before posting on socials because some of the attacks towards Drew don't paint them to a good light. 

On 9/10/2023 at 1:07 AM, crazymoviekid said:

When do we think the studios are going to start delaying more movies?

Not to make sure the actors can promote a title, but to fill in a slot for a movie that can't be finished in time. 

I don't see any way Aquaman doesn't get delayed at this point. No marketing, no trailer, no nothing. What the fuck is going on.

• ...wtf 1

2 minutes ago, eddyxx said:

I don't see any way Aquaman doesn't get delayed at this point. No marketing, no trailer, no nothing. What the fuck is going on.

They literally announced the trailer is coming in 3 days yesterday lol

• Like 5

2 hours ago, Jonwo said:

Have to say, some of the fellow actors such as Bradley Whitford should think before posting on socials because some of the attacks towards Drew don't paint them to a good light. 

35 minutes ago, MysteryMovieMogul said:

Like, scab or no scab, I don't think Drew Barrymore's morning talk show is going to be make or break for the industry.

It's shitty, but the major focus on it is really weird.

Not especially (especially the "focus being weird" comment, but also wanted to rope in the comment about 'paint in good light').  I mean, yes, in an ideal world folks would carp a little at the bar and move on with their day.  But the strikes have been going on for months (esp the WGA) with no end in sight (well, not much of an end in sight).  Folks are... techty right now, and understandably so. 

So when they see an outlet for their angst, frustration, and just general annoyance at things not getting resolved?  Lots of folks gonna start venting. So, perhaps disproportionate reaction.  But very understandable.  

Personally I'm cutting them a lot of slack.

Just now, ChipDerby said:

I'm curious what the actual reason was because there's like a 1% chance it was due to that.

I suspect it's probably for being disruptive, being in a TV audience means that you have to follow rules and if you break them, you're out!

The Talk is planning to resume production as well so I assume WGA has another show to picket. 

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Jonwo said:

I suspect it's probably for being disruptive, being in a TV audience means that you have to follow rules and if you break them, you're out!

The Talk is planning to resume production as well so I assume WGA has another show to picket. 

If the same people outspoken about Drew's show aren't also outspoken about 'The Talk,' then this wasn't just about the WGA strike.

I really, really hope 'The Talk' is scrutinized just as much as Drew's show is.

5 hours ago, ChipDerby said:

As long as she doesn't use writers and continues paying her staff/writers, whatever.

Also don't get me wrong, I think she's probably in the wrong here. But it's whatever. Just picket her show, I'm sure she'll talk about the strikes and be supportive and say all the right things.

But everyone knows Drew has always been a bit of an odd duck. She's going to march by the beat of her own drum. (also I think it's dumb that actors are getting waivers to go overseas and promote their movies at festivals etc and not getting nearly as much flack)